Evidence for an association between hookworm infection and cognitive function in Indonesian school children
Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
Blackwell Science Ltd, 1997
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 4, Issue 5, pages 322–334, May 1999
How to Cite
Sakti, H., Nokes, C., Subagio Hertanto, W., Hendratno, S., Hall, A., Bundy, D. A. P. and Satoto (1999), Evidence for an association between hookworm infection and cognitive function in Indonesian school children. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 4: 322–334. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.1999.00410.x
- Issue online: 5 JAN 2002
- Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
- (1980) The dynamics and control of direct life cycles of intestinal parasites. Lecture Notes in Biomathmatics 39, 278 322.
- (1992) Is working memory working? The fifteenth Bartlet lecture. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology 44, 1 31.
- (1996) Exploring the central Executive. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology 49A, 5 28.
- (1993) Effects of treatment for intestinal parasites and malaria on the cognitive abilities of schoolchildren in Zaire, Africa. Health Psychology 12, 220 226. , ,
- (1988) Population ecology of intestinal helminth infections in human communities. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society London Series B Biological Sciences 321, 405 420.
- (1994) Treatment effects in Trichuris Dysentery Syndrome. Acta Paediatrica 83, 1182 1187. , , ,
- (1967) Il ruolo della Tricocefalosi nel ritardo dello sviluppo fisico e mentale infantile in base ad un'inchiesta quantitativa nel basso Iodigiano. Rivista Di Parassitologia 28, 103 122. , ,
- (1990) Growth suppression in the Trichuris Dysentery Syndrome. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 44, 138 147. , , ,
- (1984) Towards a neurobiology of cognitive development. In: Neonate Cognition: Beyond the Blooming Buzzing Confusion (eds. J Mehler & R Fox), Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, pp. 285 206.
- (1991) Nutritional supplementation, psychosocial stimulation, and mental development of stunted children: the Jamaican study. Lancet 338, 1 5. , , ,
- (1991) The effects of parasitic infections on cognitive processes in children. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 85, 551 568. , ,
- (1995) Parasitic infection in malnourished school children: effects on behaviour and EEG. Parasitology 110, 103 111. , , , ,
- (1990) Has iron deficiency been shown to cause altered behaviour in infants? In: Brain, Behaviour and Iron in the Infant (ed. J Dobbing), Springer Verlag, London, pp. 107 131.
- (1987) Iron deficiency anemia and iron therapy effects on infant development. Pediatrics 79, 981 995. , , et al.
- (1992) A new approach to morbidity risk assessment in hookworm endemic communities. Epidemiology and Infection 108, 469 481. , ,
- (1994) Does helminth infection affect mental processing and educational achievement? Parasitology Today 10, 14 18. &
- (1991) Geohelminth infection and academic assessment in Jamaican children. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 85, 272 273. , , ,
- (1992) Moderate to heavy infections of Trichuris trichiura affect cognitive function in Jamaican school children. Parasitology 104, 539 547. , , , , ,
- (1999) Evidence for an improvement in cognitive function following treatment of Schistosoma japonicum infection in Chinese primary school children. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, in press. , , et al.
- (1998) The Effects of Iron Deficiency and Anaemia on Mental and Motor Performance, Educational Achievement, and Behaviour in Children – a Technical Review. INACG document: ILSI Press, Washington, DC. , ,
- (1990) Malnutrition and Infection in the Classroom. Unesco, New York.
- (1994) A generalised family of multiple test procedures. Communications in Statistics – Theory and Methods 23, 3171 3187. &
- (1989) Effects of missing breakfast on the cognitive functions of school children of differing nutritional status. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 49, 646 653. &
- (1990) Nutritional deficiencies and children's behaviour and mental development. Nutrition Research Reviews 3, 1 24. &
- (1994) School performance, nutritional status and trichuriasis in Jamaican schoolchildren. Acta Pediatrica 83, 1188 1193. , , , ,
- (1995a) Treatment of Trichuris trichiura infections improves growth, spelling scores and school attendance in some children. Journal of Nutrition 125, 1875 1883. , , ,
- (1995b) Trichuris trichiura infection and cognition in children: Results of a randomised clinical trial. Parasitology 110, 457 464. , ,
- (1987) Impact of Helminth Infections on Human Nutrition, Taylor & Francis, London.
- (1997a) Effects of children's ill health on cognitive development. Early Child Development: Investing in Our Children's Future (ed. ME Young), Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, pp. 85 125. , ,
- (1997b) Effects of a parasitic infection on cognitive functioning. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied 3, 67 76. , , ,
- (1915) Zooparasitic intestinal infections. An analysis of infections found among 1287 school children (776 white, 511 negro) of the city of X. Public Health Reports 30 (3738 3745), 2060 2067 .
- (1990) Anthro Software for Calculating Pediatric Anthropometry. CDC, Atlanta. &
- The Partnership for ChildDevelopment (1997) Better health, nutrition and education for the school-aged child. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 91, 1 2.
- (1919) A study of the effects of hookworm infection upon mental development of North Queensland school children. Medical Journal of Australia 1, 1 7. &
- (1989) Iron deficiency anemia: adverse effects on infant psychomotor development. Pediatrics 84, 7 17. , , ,
- (1996) The measurement of verbal working memory capacity and its relation to reading comprehension. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology 49A, 51 65. &
- (1996) The effects of deworming on indicators of school performance in Guatemala. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 90, 156 161. , ,
- (1974) Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children. Psychological Corporation, New York.
- WHO (1972) Nutritional Anaemia report of a WHO group of Experts. Technical Report Series no 503. WHO, , Geneva.
- WHO (1981) Intestinal protozoan and helminthic infections. Technical Report Series no 666. WHO, , Geneva.