Lung function, blood gases, pH and serum electrolytes of small-scale miners exposed to chrome ore dust on the Great Dyke in Zimbabwe
Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
1999 Blackwell Science Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 4, Issue 9, pages 621–628, September 1999
How to Cite
Osim, E. E., Tandayi, M., Chinyanga, H. M., Matarira, H. T., Mudambo, K. K. and Musabayane, C. T. (1999), Lung function, blood gases, pH and serum electrolytes of small-scale miners exposed to chrome ore dust on the Great Dyke in Zimbabwe. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 4: 621–628. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.1999.00460.x
- Issue online: 5 JAN 2002
- Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
- (1979) Statement – Snowbird Workshop on Standardisation of Spirometery. American Review of Respiratory Disease 119, 831 838.
- (1998) The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (ed. Berkow B & Fletcher AI), 16th edn., Merck and Co, Rahway, pp. 613 614. &
- (1978) Ferro Alloy Workers' Disease. Central African Journal of Medicine 24, 81 86.
- (1998) Chronic bronchitis, work related symptoms and pulmonary function in welders in New Zealand. Occupational and Environmental Medicine 55, 150 154. , , ,
- (1982) Environmental Engineering in South African Mines (ed. Burrors J, Hemp R, Holding W & Stroh RM), Cape and Transvaal Printers, Cape Town, pp. 331 . , , , ,
- (1984) Clinical Physiology. 5th edn), Blackwell Scientific Publications, London, pp. 96 139. , , , ,
- Central Statistics Office Zimbabwe (1997) Quarterly Digest of Statistics, March 1996.
- (1976) Normal values for ventilatory function in Rhodesian Africans. British Journal of Diseases of the Chest 70, 107 111. , ,
- (1988)Medical Toxicology: Diagnosis and Treatment of Human Poisoning. Elsevier, New York. &
- (1996)Small-Scale in Mining: Zimbabwe Case Study. 6th Workshop . Mining and Environmental Research Network, Harare.
- (1997) Respiratory effects of air pollution in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a three month prospective study. Thorax 52, 1040 1044. , , , , ,
- General Workers' Union (ICEF) (1988) Occupational Health Program. Threshold Limit Values. Best Prevailing Standards.Imbruco, Brussels, pp. 23 26. and
- (1998) Obliterative central bronchitis due to mineral dusts in patients with pneumoconiosis. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 122, 56 62. , , , ,
- (1995) Maintenance of satellite and tungsten carbide saw tips: respiratory health and exposure-response evaluations. Occupational and Environmental Medicine 52, 185 191. , , , ,
- (1990) Ammonia – still a health hazard in the workplace. South African Medical Journal 78, 45. &
- (1997) Nasal septum lesions and lung function in workers exposed to chromic acid in electroplating factories. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health 70, 272 276. , ,
- (1982)Synopsis of Clinical Pulmonary Disease. 3rd edn. Mosby, London, pp. 25 27. &
- (1996) Patterns of HIV/AIDS in Zimbabwe: Implications for health education. AIDS Education and Prevention 8, 1 10. &
- (1998) Lung function of Zimbabwean farm workers exposed to flue curing, and stacking of tobacco leaves. South African Medical Journal 88, 1127 1131. , ,
- (1989) Trial of normobaric and hyperbaric oxygen for acute carbon monoxide intoxication. Lancet ii, 414 419. , , et al.
- (1996) Three cases of dental technicians' pneumoconiosis related to cobalt-chromium-molybdenum dust exposure. Chest 109, 837 842. , , ,
- (1973) . In: Clinical Application of Blood Gases. Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago, pp. 22 48.
- (1997)The Environmental Impact of Small-Scale Mining in Zimbabwe. International Technology Development Group, Harare. &
- (1997) Respiratory impairments due to dust exposure: a comparative study among workers exposed to silica, asbestos and coal mine dust. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 31, 495 502. , , , ,
- (1972) Factors affecting normal values for ventilatory lung function. Annals and Reviews of Respiratory Disease 106, 692 698. , ,
- (1988) Cigarette smoke potentiates asbestos-induced air flow abnormalities. Experimental Lung Research 14, 537 542. , , ,