Review: Domestic hygiene and diarrhoea – pinpointing the problem
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Blackwell Science Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 5, Issue 1, pages 22–32, January 2000
How to Cite
Curtis, V., Cairncross, S. and Yonli, R. (2000), Review: Domestic hygiene and diarrhoea – pinpointing the problem. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 5: 22–32. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2000.00512.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- (1989) Mother's personal and domestic hygiene and diarrhoea incidence in young children in rural Bangladesh. International Journal of Epidemiology 18, 242 247. , , ,
- (1997) Hygiene Evaluation Procedures. Approaches and Methods for Assessing Water and Sanitation Related Hygiene Practices. Intermediate Technology Publications, London. , ,
- (1989) Disposal of faeces of children under two years old and diarrhoea incidence: a case-control study. International Journal of Epidemiology 18 (Suppl.), 16 19. &
- (1994) Health and hygiene behaviour: hygiene behaviour in epidemiological perspective. In: Studying Hygiene Behaviour: Methods, Issues and Experiences (eds S Cairncross & V Kochar), Sage, New Delhi, pp. 26 35.
- (1992) The magnitude of the global problem of diarrhoeal disease: a ten year update. Bulletin of the WHO 70, 705 714. , , ,
- (1993) Actions Speak: the Study of Hygiene Behaviour in Water and Sanitation Projects. IRC International Water and Sanitation Centre, The Hague. &
- (1984) Intervention studies and the definition of dominant transmission routes. American Journal of Epidemiology 120, 449 455.
- (1991) Compound hygiene, presence of standpipe and the risk of childhood diarrhoea in an urban settlement of Papua New Guinea. International Journal of Epidemiology 20, 534 539. &
- (1988) Hygiene Education in Water Supply and Sanitation Programmes. IRC, International Water and Sanitation Centre, The Hague. , ,
- (1979) The survival of viral pathogens in water and waste in the tropics. Progress in Water Technology 11, 387.
- (1990) Health impacts in developing countries: new evidence and new prospects. Journal of the Institution of Water and Environmental Management 4, 571 577.
- (1996) The public and domestic domains in the transmission of disease. Tropical Medicine and International Health 1, 27 34. , , , ,
- (1997) More water: better health. People and the Planet 6, 3.
- (1998) Planning for fly control in sanitation programmes. In: Sanitation Promotion Kit (eds M Simpson-Hebert & S Wood), WHO, Geneva.
- (1999) Impact of fly control on childhood diarrhoea in Pakistan: a community-randomised trial. Lancet 353, 22 25. , , et al.
- (1996) Reactivity and repeatability of hygiene behaviours: structured observation from Burkina Faso. Social Science and Medicine 43, 1299 1308. , , , ,
- (1991) Reduction of transmission of shigellosis by control of houseflies (Musca domestica). Lancet 337, 993 997. , , et al.
- (1988) Human Cryptosporidiosis. CRC Critical Reviews in Microbiology 16, 113 159. &
- (1993) Structured observations of hygiene behaviours in Burkina Faso, validity, variability and utility. Bulletin of the WHO 71, 23 32. , , , , ,
- (1997) Dirt and diarrhoea: formative research in hygiene promotion programmes. Health Policy and Planning 12, 122 131. , , , , ,
- (1998) The dangers of dirt: household hygiene and health. PhD Thesis, Department of Household Studies, Wageningen Agricultural University.
- (1990) A case-control study of the impact of improved sanitation on diarrhoea morbidity in Lesotho. Bulletin of the WHO 68, 455 463. , , ,
- (1991) Why promote breast-feeding in diarrhoeal disease control programmes? Health Policy and Planning 6, 371 379. , ,
- (1996) Cholera and the Ecology of Vibrio cholerae. Chapman & Hall, London. &
- (1999) Effect of fly control on trachoma and diarrhoea. Lancet 353, 1401 1403. , , et al.
- (1985) Interventions for the control of diarrhoeal diseases among young children: improving water supplies and excreta disposal facilities. Bulletin of the WHO 63, 757 772. , ,
- (1989) Interventions for the control of diarrhoeal diseases among young children: promotion of food hygiene. WHO/CDD/89.30 WHO, WHO, Geneva. &
- (1991) Effects of improved water supply and sanitation on ascariasis, diarrhoea, dracunculiasis, hookworm infection, schistosomiasis and trachoma. Bulletin of the WHO 69, 609 621. , , ,
- (1991) Interventions for the Control of Diarrhoeal Diseases Among Young Children: Fly Control. WHO/CDD/91.37, WHO, Geneva.
- (1991) Waterborne transmission and the evolution of virulence among gastrointestinal bacteria. Epidemiology and Infection 106, 83 119.
- (1983a) Diarrhoeal disease control: reviews of potential interventions. Bulletin of the WHO 61, 637 640. , ,
- (1983b) Sanitation and Disease: Health Aspects of Excreta and Wastewater Management. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK. , , ,
- (1984) Interventions for the control of diarrhoeal diseases among young children: promotion of personal and domestic hygiene. Bulletin of the WHO 62, 467 476.
- (1990) A cohort study of enteric Campylobacter infection in children from birth to two years in Bangui (Central African Republic). Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 84, 122 125. , , , ,
- (1985) Boiling of drinking-water: can a fuel-scarce community afford it? Bulletin of the WHO 63, 157 163. &
- (1991) Cholera in Africa: lessons on transmission and control for Latin America. Lancet 338, 791 795. , , et al.
- (1998) Hygiene behaviour in rural Nicaragua in relation to diarrhoea. International Journal of Epidemiology 27, 1090 1100. , , , , ,
- (1988) Paediatric Campylobacter diarrhoea from household exposure to live chickens in Lima, Peru. Bulletin of the WHO 66, 369 374. , , ,
- (1993) Communication for health and behaviour change: a developing country perspective. Jossey Bass, San Francisco. &
- (1990) Household faecal contamination and diarrhoea risk. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 93, 333 336. &
- (1986) Personal toilet after defaecation and the degree of hand contamination according to different methods used. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 89, 237 241. , , ,
- (1989) Prevention of diarrhoea and dysentery by hand washing. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 83, 128 131. &
- (1989) Viral gastroenteritis aboard a cruise ship. Lancet 2, 961 965. , , et al.
- (1996) Sustainability of a water, sanitation and hygiene education project in rural Bangladesh: a 5-year follow-up. Bulletin of the WHO 74, 431 437. , , , ,
- (1956) Some observations on the spread of Sonne dysentery. Monthly Bulletin of Ministry of Health Laboratory Service 15, 110 118.
- (1987) The epidemiology of acute diarrhoea in a rural community in Imo State, Nigeria. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 81, 858 870. , , , ,
- (1994) Observations on handwashing and defaecation practices in a shanty town of Lima Peru. Journal of Diarrhoeal Diseases Research 12, 14 18. , , et al.
- (1997) Prevention of diarrhoea in young children in developing countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 75, 163 174. , ,
- (1999) Genotype analysis of Escherichia coli strains isolated from children and chickens living in close contact. Applied Environmental Microbiology 65, 472 476. , , et al.
- (1991) Faecal indicator bacteria on the hands and the effectiveness of hand-washing in Zimbabwe. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 94, 358 363. , ,
- (1982) Interruption of shigellosis by handwashing. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 76, 164 168.
- (1985) Feasibility and efficacy of in-home water chlorination in rural North-Eastern Brazil. Journal of Hygiene, London 94, 173 180. , , et al.
- (1975) Role of hand contamination of personnel in the epidemiology of gram-negative nosocomial infections. Journal of Paediatrics 86, 433 437. , ,
- (1990) Health education interventions in developing countries. A Methodological Review of published articles. International Journal of Epidemiology 19, 788 794.
- (1997) Measuring hygiene practices: a comparison of questionnaires with direct observations in rural Zaire. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2, 1015 1021. , , , , ,
- (1990) Childhood diarrhoea in Sri-Lanka: a case-control study of the impact of improved water sources. Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 41, 98 104. , , et al.
- (1992) Excreta disposal and latrine ownership in relation to childhood diarrhoea in Sri Lanka. International Journal of Epidemiology 21, 1157 1164. , , , ,
- (1990) An epidemic outbreak of cryptosporidiosis: a prospective community study from Guinea Bissau. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 9, 566 570. , , , , ,
- (1993) Contaminated weaning food: a major risk factor for diarrhoea and associated malnutrition. Bulletin of the WHO 71, 79 92. , , ,
- (1989) Carriage of enteric bacterial pathogens by house flies in Yangon, Myanmar. Journal of Diarrhoeal Diseases Research 7, 81 84. , ,
- (1998) The effect of soap distribution on diarrhoea: Nyamiththu Refugee camp. International Journal of Epidemiology 27, 520 524. , , ,
- (1996) Measuring the effect of a hygiene behaviour intervention by indicators of behaviour and diarrhoeal disease. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 90, 366 371. &
- Projet Diarrhées (1994) Bobo-Dioulasso, Unpublished report.
- (1985) Impact of environmental sanitation and crowding on infant mortality in rural Bangladesh. Lancet 2, 28 31. , , ,
- (1985) Bacterial diarrhoeas: contaminated food and water. In: Diarrhoeal Disease and Malnutrition – a Clinical Update (ed. M Gracey), Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp. 47 62.
- (1996) Vibrio Cholerae. In: Cholera and the Ecology of Vibrio Cholerae (eds B Drasar & B Forrest), Chapman & Hall, London, pp. 1 17. &
- (1996) Hand washing with soap reduces diarrhoea and spread of bacterial pathogens in a Bangladesh village. Journal of Diarrhoeal Diseases Research 14, 85 89. , , , ,
- (1987) An educational intervention for altering water-sanitation behaviors to reduce childhood diarrhea in urban Bangladesh. II. A randomized trial to assess the impact of the intervention on hygienic behaviors and rates of diarrhea. American Journal of Epidemiology 125, 292 301. &
- (1994) Child defecation behaviour, stool disposal practices and childhood diarrhoea in Burkina Faso; results from a case-control study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 48, 270 275. , , et al.
- (1991) All coliforms are not created equal: a comparison of the effects of water source and in-house contamination on infantile diarrhoeal disease. Water Resources Research 29, 7. &
- (1995) Environmental interventions in developing countries, interactions and their implications. American Journal of Epidemiology 141, 135 144. &
- (1958) Excreta Disposal for Rural Areas and Small Communities, WHO Monograph series No 39, WHO, Geneva. &
- WHO (1993) Improving water and sanitation hygiene behaviours for the reduction of diarrhoeal disease: the report of an informal consultation. WHO/CDD/CWS WHO, WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (1996) The World Health Report 1996. WHO, Geneva.
- (1991) Hand washing reduces diarrhoea episodes: a study in Lombok, Indonesia. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 85, 819 821. , , ,
- (1991) Transmission factors and socio-economic status as determinants of diarrhoeal incidence in Lima, Peru. Journal of Diarrhoeal Diseases Research 9, 186 193.