Decline of mortality in children in rural Gambia: the influence of village-level Primary Health Care
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Blackwell Science Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 5, Issue 2, pages 107–118, February 2000
How to Cite
Hill, A. G., MacLeod, W. B., Joof, D., Gomez, P. and Walraven, G. (2000), Decline of mortality in children in rural Gambia: the influence of village-level Primary Health Care. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 5: 107–118. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2000.00528.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- (1990) Compliance with malaria chemoprophylaxis over a five-year period among children in a rural area in The Gambia. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 93, 313 322. , , ,
- (1993) A malaria control trial using insecticide-treated bed nets and targeted prophylaxis in a rural area of The Gambia, West Africa. 6. The impact of the interventions on mortality and morbidity from malaria. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 87 (Suppl.), 37 44. , , et al.
- (1996) A model of child morbidity, mortality and health interventions. Population and Development Review 22, 431 456. &
- (1981) Reduction of mortality in rural Haiti through a primary health care program. New England Journal of Medicine 304, 1324 1330. , ,
- (1994) The essential package of health services in developing countries. Background Paper no. 1, World Development Report 1993. World Bank, Washington DC. , , ,
- (1993) Using survey data to assess neonatal mortality levels and trends in developing countries. Demography 30, 459 476. &
- Central Statistics Department/UNICEF (1997) Report on the Progress of the Mid-Decade Goals in The Gambia. UNICEF, Banjul.
- Chabot J, Harnmeijer JW & Streefland PH, eds (1995) African Primary Health Care in Times of Turbulence. The Royal Tropical Institute, Amsterdam.
- (1987) Social organisation and political factionalism: PHC in The Gambia. Health Policy and Planning 2, 214 226. , , ,
- (1986) A Report on the Household Survey of The Gambia Primary Health Care Review. Ministry of Health, Labour and Social Welfare, Banjul.
- (1993) A critical analysis of the design, results and implications of the mortality and use of health services surveys. International Journal of Epidemiology 22 (Suppl.), S73 S80. , , ,
- (1994) Comparison of mortality between villages with and without Primary Health Care workers in Upper River Division, The Gambia. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 97, 69 74. , , , , ,
- Delaunay V, ed (1998) La situation démographique et épidemiologique dans la zone de Niakhar au Sénégal 1984–96 . ORSTOM, Dakar.
- Department of State for Health and Social Welfare Gambia (1998) Public Expenditure Review of the Health Sector. Department of State for Health and Social Welfare, Banjul.
- (1996) Role of immunizations in the recent decline in childhood mortality and the changes in the female/male mortality ratio in rural Senegal. American Journal of Epidemiology 142, 643 652. , ,
- Ewbank DC & Gribble JN, eds. (1993) Effects of Health Programs on Child Mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa. National Academy Press, Washington DC.
- Ministry of Health Gambia (1993) Manual for the maternal and child health services. Ministry of Health, Banjul.
- Gambia/Unicef (1997) Situation analysis of children and women in The Gambia. UNICEF, Banjul.
- (1987) Death in infancy and early childhood in a well-vaccinated, rural, West African population. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 7, 91 99. , , , , ,
- (1988) Comparison of two strategies for control of malaria within a primary health care programme in The Gambia, West-Africa. Lancet i, 1121 1127. , , et al.
- (1989) The effects of malaria chemoprophylaxis given by traditional birth attendants on the course and outcome of pregnancy. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 83, 589 594. , , , , ,
- (1990a) Evaluation of a primary health care programme in The Gambia. I The impact of traditional birth attendants on the outcome of pregnancy. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 93, 58 66. , , et al.
- (1990b) Evaluation of a primary health care programme in The Gambia. II Its impact on mortality and morbidity in young children. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 93, 87 97. , , et al.
- (1992) Making better use of demographic data and health statistics in Primary Health Care. In: Mortality and Society in Sub-Saharan Africa (eds E van de Walle, G Pison & M Sala-Diakanda). Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- (1996) Report on the living standards survey conducted in the villages of the MRC Main Study Area, North Bank Division, Republic of The Gambia in June-July 1996. MRC, Farafenni. , , ,
- (1999) Improvements in child mortality in The Gambia. Lancet 352, 1909. , , ,
- IBRD/World Bank (1997) World Development Report 1997. Oxford University Press, Washington DC.
- (1997) Changes in the pattern of infant and childhood mortality in Upper River Division, The Gambia from 1989 to 1993. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2, 28 37. , , et al.
- (1994) Experiences with primary health care in Zambia. WHO, Geneva. &
- (1998a) Mortality analysis and evaluation. Population and Housing Census 1993, 3. Central Statistics Department, Banjul. , ,
- (1998b) The impact of village-based primary health care and its role in the decline of childhood mortality in The Gambia. Paper Presented at the Annual Conference of the Population Association of America, Chicago. , , ,
- (1996) The impact of primary health care services on under-five mortality in rural Niger. International Journal of Epidemiology 25, 568 577. , , , , ,
- (1995) Population et santéà Niakhar: mise à jour des principaux indicateurs démographiques période 1984–94 . ORSTOM, Dakar, Senegal. , ,
- (1991) Morbidity and mortality at Keneba, The Gambia 1950–75. In: Disease and Mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa (eds RG Feachem & DT Jamison) Oxford University Press, Washington, pp. 306 323.
- (1994) Malaria chemoprophylaxis, infection of the placenta and birth weight in Gambian primigravidae. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 97, 244 248. , , , , ,
- (1990) Sustained protection against mortality and morbidity from malaria in rural Gambian children by chemoprophylaxis given by village health workers. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 84, 768 772. , , , , ,
- (1985) Will Primary Health Care Reduce Infant and Child Mortality?In: Health Policy, Social Policy and Mortality Prospects (eds J Vallin & AD Lopez), Ordina Editions, Liège.
- (1988) Biological and socio-economic determinants of child survival. Salud Publica de Mexico 30, 312 328.
- (1991) Demographic models for child survival and implications for health intervention programs. Health Policy and Planning 6, 218 233. &
- (1996) A randomised trial of chloroquine, amodiaquine and pyrimethamine-sulfadoxine in Gambian children with uncomplicated malaria. Tropical Medicine and International Health 1, 124 132. , , et al.
- (1993) The Gambia Contraceptive Prevalence and Fertility Determinants Survey 1990. Ministry of Labour, Health and Social Welfare, Banjul. , , ,
- (1986) Why health improves: defining the issues concerning ‘comprehensive primary health care’ and ‘selective primary health care’. Social Science and Medicine 23, 559 566. &
- (1998) Impact of chloroquine resistance on malaria mortality. C R Académie Des Sciences Série III 321, 689 697. , , et al.
- UNICEF (1998) State of the World's Children Oxford University Press, New York.
- (1981) Selective primary health care—an interior strategy for disease control in developing communities. New England Journal of Medicine 301, 967 974. &
- WHO (1978) Report of the Alma Ata Conference on Primary Health Care. Health for All Series, no. 1. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO (1980) Country Resource Utilisation Review, The Gambia. (HRG/CRU.1) WHO, Geneva.
- World Bank (1993) World Development Report 1993. Investing in Health. Oxford University Press.New York.
- World Bank (1994) Better health in Africa. World Bank, Washington DC.
- World Bank (1997) World Development Report 1997. The state in a changing world. World Bank, Washington DC.