Outcome of meningitis caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae type b in children in The Gambia
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Blackwell Science Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 207–213, March 2000
How to Cite
Goetghebuer, T., West, T. E., Wermenbol, V., Cadbury, A. L., Milligan, P., Lloyd-Evans, N., Adegbola, R. A., Mulholland, E. K., Greenwood, B. M. and Weber, M. W. (2000), Outcome of meningitis caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae type b in children in The Gambia. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 5: 207–213. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2000.00535.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- (1994) The etiology of pneumonia in malnourished and well-nourished Gambian children. Pediatric Infectious Diseases 13, 975 982. , , et al.
- (1996) Haemophilus influenzae type b disease in the western region of The Gambia: background surveillance for a vaccine efficacy trial. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 16, 103 111. , , et al.
- (1999) Haemophilus influenzae type b meningitis in The Gambia after introduction of a conjugate vaccine. Lancet 354, 1091 1092. , , et al.
- (1999) Risk factors for an adverse outcome in bacterial meningitis in the tropics: a reappraisal with focus on the significance and risk of seizures. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 19, 151 159. , , ,
- Anonymous (1993) 1993 population and housing census of The Gambia. Government of The Gambia, Banjul.
- (1976) Mortality from pneumococcal meningitis. Lancet ii, 1344 1346. , ,
- (1993) Outcomes of bacterial meningitis in children: a meta-analysis. Pediatric Infectious Diseases 12, 389 394. , ,
- (1990) The epidemiology of Haemophilus influenzae meningitis in children under five years of age in The Gambia, West Africa. Journal of Infectious Diseases 161, 1210 1215. , , et al.
- (1985) Pneumococcal meningitis: an evaluation of prognosis factors in 164 cases based on mortality and on a study of lasting sequelae. Journal of Infection 10, 143 157. , , et al.
- (1993) Seasonal variation of paediatric diseases in The Gambia, West Africa. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 13, 133 146. &
- (1992) Hearing impairment after bacterial meningitis: a review. Archive of Diseases in Childhood 67, 1128 1133.
- (1989) Dexamethasone treatment for bacterial meningitis in children and adults. Pediatric Infectious Diseases 8, 848 851. , , et al.
- (1984) Selective primary health care: strategies for control of disease in the developing world. XIII. Acute bacterial meningitis. Review of Infectious Diseases 6, 374 389.
- (1986) Sequential bacteriological findings in the cerebrospinal fluid of Nigerian patients with pneumococcal meningitis. Journal of Infection 12, 49 56. , , , ,
- (1996) Risk factors for adverse outcomes of bacterial meningitis. Journal of Pediatrics & Child Health 32, 457 462. , , , , ,
- (1978) Bacterial meningitis in childhood in an African city. Factors influencing etiology and outcome. Acta Pediatrica Scandinavica 67, 725 730. &
- (1997) Changes in the patterns of infant and childhood mortality in upper river division, The Gambia, from 1989 to 1993. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2, 28 37. , , et al.
- (1995) Oral glycerol and intravenous dexamethasone in preventing neurologic and audiologic sequelae of childhood bacterial meningitis. Pediatric Infectious Diseases 14, 270 278. , , ,
- (1988) Dexamethasone therapy for bacterial meningitis. Results of two double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. New England Journal of Medicine 319, 964 971. , , et al.
- (1977) Long-term outcome of Haemophilus influenzae meningitis related to antibiotic treatment. Pediatrics 60, 1 6. , , ,
- (1996) Dexamethasone adjunctive therapy for bacterial meningitis in children: a retrospective study in Brazil. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 16, 193 198. , , , ,
- (1997) Immunogenicity and impact on carriage of 9-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine given to South African infants. Presented at the 37th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Toronto. , , et al.
- (1997) Randomised trial of Haemophilus influenzae type b tetanus protein conjugate vaccine for prevention of pneumonia and meningitis in Gambian infants. Lancet 349, 1191 1197. , , et al.
- (1996a) A study of risk factors for pneumococcal disease among children in a rural area of West Africa. International Journal of Epidemiology 25, 885 893. , , et al.
- (1996b) Pneumococcal disease among children in a rural area of west Africa. Pediatric Infectious Diseases 15, 431 437. , , et al.
- (1999) Acute bacterial meningitis in The Gambia. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 45, 51 53. , , , ,
- (1990) Seizures and other neurologic sequelae of bacterial meningitis in children. New England Journal of Medicine 323, 1651 1656. , , ,
- (1987) Haemophilus influenzae type b meningitis: manifestations and long term sequelae. Pediatric Infectious Diseases 6, 775 778.
- (1983) Long term sequelae of bacterial meningitis in children. Pediatric Infectious Diseases 2, 90 93.
- (1985) Chloramphenicol alone versus chloramphenicol plus penicillin for bacterial meningitis in children. Lancet 28, 681 684. , ,
- (1973) Trial of chloramphenicol for meningitis in northern savannah of Africa. British Medical Journal 18, 379 381. , , et al.
- World Health Organization (1998a) Child Health and Development 1996–97 Report. Document WHO/CHD/98.5. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (1998b) Antimicrobial and support therapy for bacterial meningitis in children. Report of the meeting of 18–20 June 1997, Geneva, Switzerland. Document WHO/EMC/BAC/98.2 and WHO/CHD/98.6.WHO, Geneva.