The problem of illegally induced abortion: results from a hospital-based study conducted at district level in Dar es Salaam
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Blackwell Science Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 5, Issue 7, pages 495–502, July 2000
How to Cite
Rasch, V., Muhammad, H., Urassa, E. and Bergström, S. (2000), The problem of illegally induced abortion: results from a hospital-based study conducted at district level in Dar es Salaam. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 5: 495–502. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2000.00584.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- (1996) Demographic characteristics, socioeconomic profile and contraceptive behaviour in patients with abortion at Jimma Hospital, Ethiopia. East African Medical Journal 73, 660 664.
- (1992) Sexual behavior and contraceptive use among 15–24 year-olds in Uganda. International Family Planning Perspectives 18, 13 17. &
- (1991) Adolescent sexuality and fertility in Kenya: a survey of knowledge, perceptions, and practices. Studies in Family Planning 22, 205 216. , , ,
- (1995) Procured abortion in Ilorin, Nigeria. East African Medical Journal 72, 386 390. , , ,
- (1997) Unsafe abortions: methods used and characteristics of patients attending hospitals in Nairobi, Lima, and Manila. Health Care Women International 18, 43 53. , , ,
- (1992) Influences on adolescent sexuality in Nigeria and Kenya: findings from recent focus-group discussions. Studies in Family Planning 23, 199 210. &
- (1995) Reproductive tract infections and abortion among adolescent girls in rural Nigeria. Lancet 345, 300 304. , , et al.
- (1981) The validity of approximation methods for interval estimation of the odds ratio. American Journal of Epidemiology 113, 474 480.
- (1996) Sexual behaviour, contraceptive practice and reproductive health among school adolescents in rural Transkei. South African Medical Journal 86, 523 527. , ,
- Bureau of Statistics (1992) 1988 Population Census, National Profile. Bureau of Statistics, Dar es Salaam.
- (1993) Misoprostol and illegal abortion in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Lancet 341, 1258 1261. &
- (1996) Determinants of induced abortion among poor women admitted to hospitals in a locality of northeastern Brazil. Revista de Saude Publica 30, 13 18. , , , ,
- (1997) Comparison of women having clandestine and hospital abortions: Maputo, Mozambique. Reproductive Health Matters 9, 108 115. , , , ,
- (1992) Abortions in a hospital setting: hidden realities in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Studies in Family Planning 23, 325 329. , ,
- (1991) Septic abortion at University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 36, 121 125. &
- (1996) Induced abortion in Kenya: its determinants and associated factors. East African Medical Journal 73, 164 168. , ,
- (1998) Haraka, Haraka . . . Look before you leap. Nordiska Afrikainstitutet, Stockholm, pp. 11 42. , , ,
- (1997a) Reproductive characteristics and post-abortion health consequences in women undergoing illegal and legal abortion in Maputo. Social Science and Medicine 45, 1607 1613.DOI: 10.1016/s0277-9536(96)00358-9 , ,
- (1997b) Socio-economic background, individual cost and hospital care expenditure in cases of illegal abortion in Maputo. Health and Social Care in the Community 5, 71 76. , ,
- (1993) A six month prospective study on different aspects of abortion. Ethiopian Medical Journal 31, 165 172. &
- (1997) Unplanned pregnancies in Harare: what are the social and sexual determinants? Social Science and Medicine 45, 937 942.DOI: 10.1016/s0277-9536(97)00004-x , , , ,
- (1991) Morbidity and mortality from induced illegal abortion at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu: a five year review. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 34, 163 167. &
- Ministry of Health Tanzania and Program for International Training in Health (1994) National Policy Guidelines and Standards for Family Planning Service Delivery and Training. MoH, Dar es Salaam.
- (1993) Factors associated with induced abortion in public hospitals in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Reproductive Health Matters 2, 21 31. , ,
- (1991) Trends in maternal deaths in Ilesa, Nigeria 1977–88. West African Journal of Medicine 10, 400 404. &
- (1992) Illegal induced abortion: a study of 74 cases in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Tropical Doctor 22, 75 78. , ,
- (1977) Abortion. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 178 252. , ,
- (2000) Self-reports of induced abortion: an empathic setting can improve quality of data. American Journal of Public Health in press. , , ,
- (2000) Adolescent girls with illegally induced abortion in Dar es Salaam: The discrepancy between sexual behaviour and lack of access to contraception. Reproductive Health Matters in press. &
- (1993) Induced abortion in sub-Saharan Africa. East African Medical Journal 70, 386 395.
- (1994) The impact of women's employment and education on contraceptive use and abortion in Kinshasa, Zaire. Studies in Family Planning 25, 96 110. &
- (1996) Abortion as a public health problem in Zambia. Journal of Public Health Medicine 18, 232 233.
- (1995) Socio-economic client characteristics and consequences of abortion in Nairobi. East African Medical Journal 72, 325 332. , , , ,
- (1996) Maternal mortality in Tanzania – medical causes are interrelated with socio-economic and cultural factors. South African Medical Journal 86, 436 444. , , ,
- (1995) Tanzania: Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices Survey 1994. Bureau of Statistics, Planning Commission and Macro Inc, Calverton. , , ,
- WHO (1994) Abortion. A Tabulation of Available Data on the Frequency and Mortality of Unsafe Abortion. 2nd edn.WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (1997) Maternal Mortality. A Global Factbook. WHO, Geneva.