Men's sexual health matters: promoting reproductive health in an international context
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Blackwell Science Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 5, Issue 7, pages A37–A44, July 2000
How to Cite
Hawkes, S. and Hart, G. (2000), Men's sexual health matters: promoting reproductive health in an international context. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 5: A37–A44. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2000.00594.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- (1999) Men Who Sell Sex. UCL Press, London.
- (1998) Couples' fertility and contraceptive decision-making in developing countries: hearing the man's voice. International Family Planning Perspectives 24, 15 23. &
- (1996) The International Conference on Population and Development, Cairo 1994. Is its Plan of Action important, desirable and feasible? ICPD: what about men's rights and women's responsibilities? Health Transition Review 6, 225 227.
- (1996) Men. Reproductive Health Matters 7, 7 10.
- (1996) Male bisexuality in Peru and the prevention of AIDS. In: Bisexualities and AIDS (ed. P Aggleton), Taylor & Francis, London.
- (1988) Validity of sexual histories in a prospective study of male homosexual contacts of men with AIDS or an AIDS related-condition. American Journal of Epidemiology 128, 719 728. , , et al.
- (1993) Sexuality, Politics and AIDS in Brazil. Taylor & Francis, London. &
- (1993) Sex, Gay Men and AIDS. Falmer, Basingstoke. , , ,
- (1996) AIDS and the enigma of bisexuality in the Dominican Republic. In: Bisexualities and AIDS (ed. P Aggleton), Taylor & Francis, London. &
- (1999) Sexuality and health: the hidden costs of screening for Chlamydia trachomatis. British Medical Journal 318, 931 933. &
- (1998) Reproductive Health: New Perspectives on Men's Participation. Population Reports, Series J, no. 46. John Hopkins University School of Public Health, Population Information Program, Baltimore.
- (1989) Heterosexual sexual behaviour in a sample of homosexually active men. Genitourinary Medicine 65, 259 262. , , , ,
- (1967) Sexual Deviance. Harper & Row, New York. &
- (1997) Spread of HIV infection in married monogamous women in India. Journal of the American Medical Association 278, 2090 2092. , , et al.
- (1999) Gay men's HIV-related sexual risk behaviour in Scotland. Sexually Transmitted Infections 75, 242 246. , ,
- (1998) Why include men? Establishing sexual health clinics for men in rural Bangladesh. Health Policy and Planning 13, 121 130.
- (1996) Male contraceptive knowledge and practice: what do we know? Reproductive Health Matters 7, 90 99. &
- (1999) Relocating gender and morbidity: examining men's and women's health in contemporary Western societies. Social Science and Medicine 48, 1 5.DOI: 10.1016/s0277-9536(98)00284-6 &
- (1994) Sexual behaviour, STDs, male circumcision and risk of HIV infection among women in Nairobi, Kenya. AIDS 8, 93 99. , , , ,
- (1991) The reliability of self-reported sexual behaviour. AIDS 5, 333 336. , , ,
- (1998) Husbands' involvement in abortion in Vietnam. Studies in Family Planning 29, 400 413. , , , ,
- (1994) Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles. Blackwell, Oxford. , , ,
- (1991) Introduction to the biology and natural history of sexually transmitted diseases. In: Research Issues in Human Behaviour and Sexually Transmitted Diseases in the AIDS Era (ed. JN Wasserheit et al. ), American Society for Microbiology, Washington. &
- (1997) Male involvement in family planning: a case study spanning five generations of a South Indian family. Studies in Family Planning 28, 24 34. , ,
- (1948) Sexual Behaviour in the Human Male. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia. , ,
- (1995) Qualitative research: introducing focus groups. British Medical Journal 311, 299 302.
- (1997) Husband-wife communication about family planning and contraceptive use in Kenya. International Family Planning Perspectives 23, 15 20. &
- (1996) Bisexuality and AIDS in Mexico. In: Bisexualities and AIDS (ed. P Aggleton), Taylor & Francis, London. , ,
- (1997) Knowledge, approval and communication about family planning as correlates of desired fertility among spouses in Pakistan. International Family Planning Perspectives 23, 122 129. &
- (1992) AIDS in the World. Harvard University Press, Cambridge. , ,
- (1994) Sexual behaviour in Kenya: implications for STD transmission and control. Social Science and Medicine 39, 1649 1656. , , et al.
- (1993) A population-based study of syphilis and sexually transmitted disease syndromes in north-western Tanzania. 2. Risk factors and health seeking behaviour. Genitourinary Medicine 69, 421 426. , , et al.
- (1972) Sex, Gender and Society. Temple Smith, London.
- (1996) Perceptions of reproductive tract morbidity among Nigerian women and men. Reproductive Health Matters 7, 56 63. &
- (1985) The hidden pathology of the male reproductive system. In: The Sexual Politics of Reproduction (ed. H Homans), Gower Press, Aldershot.
- (2000) An acceptability study of female controlled methods of protection against HIV and STDs in south-western Uganda. International Journal of STD and AIDS 11, 1 6. , , , , , ,
- (1998) Rapid assessment of the drug injecting situation in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. Bulletin on Narcotics 48, 35 53.
- (1998) The Rapid Assessment and Response Guide on Substance Use and Sexual Risk Behaviour. WHO/United Nations, Geneva. , ,
- (1995) Evidence for the acceptability of an injectable hormonal method for men. International Family Planning Perspectives 21, 75 80.
- (1994) Reconsidering population policies: ethics, development, and strategies for change. In: Population Policies Reconsidered: Health, Empowerment, and Rights (eds G Sen, A Germain & L Chen), Harvard University Press, Boston, pp. 3 14. , ,
- (1999) A pilot evaluation of ‘Stepping Stones’ in The Gambia: quantitative methods. Eleventh International Conference on AIDS and STDs in Africa, September. Lusaka. , , et al.
- (1998) Husbands' reproductive health knowledge, attitudes and behaviour in Uttar Pradesh, India. Studies in Family Planning 29, 388 399. , ,
- (1990) Incidence and prevalence of the sexual dysfunctions: a critical review of the empirical literature. Archives of Sexual Behaviour 19, 389 408. &
- (1996) Identifying cervical infection among pregnant women in Nairobi, Kenya: limitations of risk assessment and symptom-based approaches. Genitourinary Medicine 72, 334 338. , , ,
- United Nations (1994) Program of Action of the UN International Conference on Population and Development. United Nations, New York.
- (1991) Measuring sexual behaviour. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society 154, 367 370. &
- (1998) Men as partners in reproductive health: from issues to action. International Family Planning Perspectives 24, 38 42. , , ,
- (1993) Constraints or cognition? Young men and safer heterosexual sex. In: AIDS: Facing the Second Decade (ed. P Aggleton et al.), Falmer, London.
- World Bank (1993) World Development Report: Investing in Health. Oxford University Press, New York.