A programme to eliminate lymphatic filariasis in Tamil Nadu state, India: compliance with annual single-dose DEC mass treatment and some related operational aspects
Article first published online: 7 JUL 2008
Blackwell Science Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 5, Issue 12, pages 842–847, December 2000
How to Cite
Ramaiah, K. D., Das, P. K., Appavoo, N. C., Ramu, K., Augustin, D. J., Vijay Kumar, K. N. and Chandrakala, A. V. (2000), A programme to eliminate lymphatic filariasis in Tamil Nadu state, India: compliance with annual single-dose DEC mass treatment and some related operational aspects. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 5: 842–847. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2000.00659.x
- Issue published online: 7 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 7 JUL 2008
- (1993) Comparative efficacy of clearing dose and single high dose ivermectin and diethylcarbamazine against Wuchereria bancrofti microfilaraemia. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 48, 178 – 185. , & et al.
- (1992) Efficacy of bi-annual administration of DEC in the control of bancroftian filariasis. Journal of Communicable Diseases 24, 87 – 91. , &
- (1998) Randomised community-based trial of annual single-dose diethylcarbamazine with or without ivermectin against Wuchereria bancrofti infection in human beings and mosquitoes. Lancet 351, 162 – 168.DOI: 10.1016/s0140-6736(97)07081-5 , & et al.
- (1995) Low-level ivermectin coverage and the transmission of onchocerciasis. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 89, 534 – 537. , & et al.
- (1995) Treatment of bancroftian filariasis in Recife, Brazil: a two-year comparative study of the efficacy of single treatments with ivermectin or diethylcarbamazine. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 89, 98 – 102. , & et al.
- (1993) Comparison of single-dose diethylcarbamazine and ivermectin for treatment of bancroftian filariasis in Papua New Guinea. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 49, 804 – 811. , & et al.
- (1992) Long term efficacy of single-dose mass treatment with diethylcarbamazine citrate against diurnally sub-periodic Wuchereria bancrofti: eight years' experience in Samoa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 70, 769 – 776. , & et al.
- (2000) Cost of annual mass single-dose DEC distribution for the large scale control of lymphatic filariasis in Cuddalore district, India. Indian Journal of Medical Research 110, 81 – 89. , & et al.
- (1950) Determination of Hetrazan in biological fluids. British Journal of Pharmacology 5, 210 – 216.
- (1996) Mass diethylcarbamazine chemotherapy for control of bancroftian filariasis: comparative efficacy of standard treatment and two semi-annual single-dose treatments. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 90, 69 – 73. , &
- (1996) Re-assessing the global prevalence and distribution of lymphatic filariasis. Parasitology 112, 409 – 428. , &
- National Malaria Eradication Programme, Delhi, (1995) National Filaria Control Programme, India. Operational Manual. (eds RS Sharma, H Biswas & NBL Saxena), Government of India, Delhi.
- (1997) Strategies and tools for the control/elimination of lymphatic filariasis. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 75, 491 – 503. , , &
- (1978) Anthropological Research: the Structure of Enquiry. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. &
- (1995) Irreversible effects of ivermectin on adult parasites in onchocerciasis patients in the Onchocerciasis Control Programme in West Africa. Journal of Infectious Diseases 172, 204 – 210. , & et al.
- (2000) Effectiveness of annual ivermectin treatment for Wuchereria bancrofti infection. Parasitology Today 16, 298 – 302.DOI: 10.1016/s0169-4758(00)01691-4 , , &
- (1996a) Knowledge and beliefs about transmission, prevention and control of lymphatic filariasis in rural areas of south India. Tropical Medicine and International Health 4, 433 – 438. , &
- (1996b) Rapid assessment of rural lymphatic filariasis through key informants. Tropical Biomedicine 13, 13 – 16. , , &
- (2000) The economic burden of lymphatic filariasis in India. Parasitology Today 16, 251 – 253.DOI: 10.1016/s0169-4758(00)01643-4 , , &
- (1976) National filaria control programme – India. Journal of Communicable Diseases 8, 157 – 166.
- (1986) Control of bancroftian filariasis in India. Journal of Communicable Disease 18, 276 – 282. &
- (1976) Human Filariasis: a Global Survey of Epidemiology and Control. University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo.
- Tropical Disease Research (TDR) (1996) Four TDR diseases can be eliminated. Tropical Disease Research News 49, 1 – 2.
- (1990) Effect of mass treatment of a human population with ivermectin on transmission of Onchocerca volvulus by Simulium yahense in Liberia, West Africa. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 42, 148 – 156. , & et al.
- (1997) For WHO or for WHO. Lancet 349, 1639 – 1640.
- World Health Organization (1995) World Health Report 1995. WHO, Geneva.