Female genital cutting in southern urban and peri-urban Nigeria: self-reported validity, social determinants and secular decline
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2002
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 91–100, January 2002
How to Cite
Snow, R. C. , Slanger, T. E. , Okonofua, F. E. , Oronsaye, F. and Wacker, J. (2002), Female genital cutting in southern urban and peri-urban Nigeria: self-reported validity, social determinants and secular decline. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 7: 91–100. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2002.00829.x
- Issue published online: 24 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2002
- 11997) Current status of female circumcision among Nigerian Igbos. WAJM 16, 227–231.(
- 21998) Female genital mutilation: socio-cultural factors that influence the practice in Kassena-Nankana District, Ghana. African Journal of Reproductive Health 2, 25–36., , , (
- 31997) Female Genital Cutting – Findings from the Demographic and Health Survey Program. Macro International Inc, Calverton, MD, USA.(
- 5Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS) (1999) Nigeria 1990; Central African Repubolic 1994; Ivory Coast 1994; Egypt 1995; Eritrea 1995; Mali 1995–96; Tanzania 1996; Kenya 1998; Niger 1998; Burkina Faso 1999; Nigeria 1999. IRD/Macro International Inc., Calverton MD, USA.
- 6Egyptian Fertility Care Society (EFCS) (1996) Clinic-Based Investigation of the Typology and Self-Reporting of FGM in Egypt. EFCS, Cairo.
- 91998) Prevalence and correlates of female genital mutilation in the Kassena-Nankana District of Northern Ghana. African Journal of Reproductive Health 2, 13–24., , , (
- 13Nigeria, Federal Office of Statistics and IRD/Macro International Inc. (1992) Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey 1990. IRD/Macro International Inc., Columbia.
- 161989) Reasons for female circumcision among some ethnic groups in Bendel State, Nigeria. African Study Monographs 9, 197–207.& (
- 18WHO/UNICEF/UNFPA (1997) Female Genital Mutilation – A Joint Statement. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.