Factors contributing to high mortality due to pneumonia among under-fives in Kalabo District, Zambia
Version of Record online: 2 OCT 2002
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 7, Issue 10, pages 886–893, October 2002
How to Cite
Stekelenburg, J., Kashumba, E. and Wolffers, I. (2002), Factors contributing to high mortality due to pneumonia among under-fives in Kalabo District, Zambia. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 7: 886–893. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2002.00932.x
- Issue online: 2 OCT 2002
- Version of Record online: 2 OCT 2002
- CBoH (1996) Integrated Technical Guidelines for Frontline Health Workers. Central Board of Health, Zambia.
- CBoH (1999) Zambian HIV Sentinel Surveillance; Time Trends in the HIV Epidemic in the 1990s. Central Board of Health, Zambia.
- CSO (1996) Zambia Demographic Health Survey. Central Statistical Office, Zambia.
- 1992) Risk factors for fatal pneumonia: a case–control study. Indian Pediatrics 29, 1529–1532. , , , (
- 2000) Risk factors for mortality among children hospitalised because of acute respiratory infections in Bangui, Central African Republic. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 19, 424–432. , , et al. (
- 2000) Mortality from pneumonia in children in the United States, 1939 through 1996. New England Journal of Medicine 342, 1399–1407. , , & (
- 1978) Application of case management in the control of acute respiratory infections in low birth weight infants: a feasibility study. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 65, 77–82. (
- 1996) Clinical overlap between malaria and severe pneumonia in African children in hospital. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 90, 658–662. , , , & (
- 1995) Use of simple clinical signs to predict pneumonia in young Gambian children: the influence of malnutrition. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 73, 299–304. , , & (
- 2001) Pulmonary disease in HIV-infected African children. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 5, 12–23. , & (
- 1996) Fast breathing in the diagnosis of pneumonia – a reassessment. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 42, 196–199. , & (
- Kalabo District Health Services (19922000) Annual reports 1992–2000.
- 1993) Maternal perceptions of pneumonia and pneumonia signs in Pakistani children. Social Science and Medicine 37, 649–660. , , & (
- 2000) Impact of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 on the disease spectrum of Streptococcus pneumoniae in South African children. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 19, 1141–1147. , , , & (
- 1997) Detection and management of pneumonia by community health workers – a community intervention study in Rehri village, Pakistan. Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association 47, 42–45. , , & (
- 1986) Acute respiratory infections in children under five years: Control project in Bagamoyo District, Tanzania. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 80, 851–858. & (
- 1996) Mothers' perceptions of signs and symptoms of acute respiratory infections in their children and their assessment of severity in an urban community in Ethiopia. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 16, 129–135. (
- 1994) Mothers' perceptions of severe pneumonia in their own children: a controlled study in Pakistan. Social Science and Medicine 38, 973–987. , , & (
- 2000) Measles infection in HIV-infected African infants. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 918, 377–380. , , & (
- 2000) Case management of childhood pneumonia in developing countries; recent relevant research and current initiatives. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 4, 807–826. , & (
- 2000) Malnutrition as an underlying cause of childhood deaths associated with infectious diseases in developing countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 78, 1207–1221. , , & (
- 2000) Factors associated with trends in infant and child mortality in developing countries during the 1990s. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 78, 1256–1270. (
- 1992) Meta-analysis of intervention trials on case-management of pneumonia in community settings. Lancet 340, 528–533. & (
- 1998) The future for expatriate doctors in Zambia under health reforms. Medicus Tropicus 36, 1–4. & (
- 1994) Risk factors associated with morbidity and mortality of pneumonia in Thai children under 5 years. Southeast Asian Journal for Tropical Medicine and Public Health 25, 60–66. , , & (
- 1999) Mortality after the first year of life among human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected and uninfected children. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 18, 689–694. , , et al. (
- 1996) Potential interventions for preventing pneumonia among young children in developing countries: promoting maternal education. Tropical Medicine and International Health 1, 283–294. , & (
- WHO (1995a) Integrated management of the sick child. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 73, 735–740.
- WHO (1995b) The Management of Acute Respiratory Infections in Children: a Practical Guideline. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- 2001) Aetiology and outcome of pneumonia in human immunodeficiency virus-infected children hospitalised in South Africa. Acta Paediatrica 90, 119–125. , , et al. (