Evaluation of efficacy of community-based vs. institutional-based direct observed short-course treatment for the control of tuberculosis in Kilombero district, Tanzania
Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2003
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 8, Issue 3, pages 204–210, March 2003
How to Cite
Lwilla, F., Schellenberg, D., Masanja, H., Acosta, C., Galindo, C., Aponte, J., Egwaga, S., Njako, B., Ascaso, C., Tanner, M. and Alonso, P. (2003), Evaluation of efficacy of community-based vs. institutional-based direct observed short-course treatment for the control of tuberculosis in Kilombero district, Tanzania. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 8: 204–210. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2003.00999.x
- Issue online: 10 MAR 2003
- Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2003
- 1999) Direct observation of tuberculosis treatment by supervised family members in Yasothorn Province, Thailand. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 3, 1061–1065. , , & (
- 1994) Randomised trial of efficacy of SPf66 vaccine against Plasmodium falciparum malaria in children in southern Tanzania. Lancet 343, 1175–1181. , , et al. (
- 1991) The global tuberculosis situation and the new control strategy of the World Health Organization. Tubercle 72, 1–6. (
- 1994) Control strategies and programme management. In: Tuberculosis Back to the Future (eds JHDPorter & KPWJMcAdam) John Wiley and Sons, Chichester. (
- China Tuberculosis Control Collaboration (1996) Results of directly observed short-course chemotherapy in 112,842 Chinese patients with smear-positive tuberculosis. Lancet 347, 358–362.
- 1997) Control of tuberculosis by community health workers in Bangladesh. Lancet 350, 169–172. , , , & (
- 1997) Combating tuberculosis – lessons learnt from a rural community project in the Klein Drankenstein area of the Western Cape. South African Medical Journal of Public Health 87, 1042–1046. , , & (
- 1994) Global tuberculosis incidence and mortality during 1990–2000. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 72, 213–220. , & (
- 1997) Practical and affordable measures for protection oh health care workers from tuberculosis in low-income countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 75, 477–489. , & (
- 1991) Sample size calculation for communities. In: Guidelines for the Development for Studies to Evaluate the Impact of Insecticide-Impregnated Bed-Nets on Mortality. WHO, Geneva. (
- 1967) The behaviour of maximum likelihood estimates under non-standard conditions. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability. University of California Press, Berkeley, pp. 221–233. (
- 1999) Randomised controlled directly observed treatment (DOT) for patients with pulmonary tuberculosis in Thailand. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 93, 552–557. , , et al. (
- 1997) Measuring effectiveness of tuberculosis control programmes. South African Medical Journal of Public Health 87, 1040–1041. (
- 1993) The epidemiology of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in the United States. Medical Clinics of North America 6, 1391–1409. (
- Kilombero District Tuberculosis and Leprosy Co-ordinator (1995) District Tuberculosis Register. Ifakara, Tanzania.
- Kilombero District Tuberculosis and Leprosy Co-ordinator (1996) District Tuberculosis Register. Ifakara, Tanzania.
- 1959) Statistical aspects of analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease. Journal of National Cancer Institute 22, 719–748. & (
- 1999) Success with the DOTS strategy. Lancet 353, 1003–1004. & (
- 1995) Global epidemiology of tuberculosis morbidity and mortality of a world-wide epidemic. Journal of the American Medical Association 273, 220–226. , & (
- 2001) The burden of drug-resistant tuberculosis and mechanisms for its control. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 953, 88–97. , , & (
- 1993) Community health and development. In: Reaching Health for All (eds JRohde, MChatterjee & DMorley). Oxford Press, Delhi, pp. 7–9. , & (
- Tuberculosis/Leprosy Control Unit (1995) Manual of the National Tuberculosis/Leprosy Programme in Tanzania. Dar es Salaam, Ministry of Health.
- (2001)Effectiveness of the direct observation component of DOTS for tuberculosis: a randomised controlled trial in Pakistan. LancetMar 3;357(9257), 664–669. , , &
- 1991) Supervised out-patient treatment of tuberculosis: evaluation of a South African rural programme. Tubercle 72, 140–144. , & (
- WHO (1997) WHO Report on the Tuberculosis Epidemic. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2000) Global Tuberculosis Control. WHO, Geneva.
- 1996) HIV-related tuberculosis in South Africa-clinical features and outcome. South African Medical Journal 86, 64–67. & (
- 1998) Randomised controlled trial of self-supervised and directly observed treatment of tuberculosis. Lancet Oct 24; 352(9137), 1340–1343. , , , & (