Tuberculosis treatment in complex emergencies: are risks outweighing benefits?
Article first published online: 10 MAR 2003
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 8, Issue 3, pages 211–218, March 2003
How to Cite
Biot, M., Chandramohan, D. and Porter, J. D. H. (2003), Tuberculosis treatment in complex emergencies: are risks outweighing benefits?. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 8: 211–218. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2003.01025.x
- Issue published online: 10 MAR 2003
- Article first published online: 10 MAR 2003
- 1997) Short-Course Tuberculosis Chemotherapy in rural Somalia. East African Medical Journal 74, 348–352. (
- 1984) Controlled clinical trial of four 6-month regimens of chemotherapy for pulmonary tuberculosis. Bulletin of the International Union against Tuberculosis 59, 26–29. , & (
- 1994) The effect of war on tuberculosis. Tubercle and Lung Disease 75, 251–259. & (
- 2002) Interventions to reduce tuberculosis mortality and transmission in low and middle-income countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 80, 217–227. , & (
- 1994) Linking relief to development: an introduction and overview. IDS Bulletin 25, 4. & (
- 1999) Lessons learnt and future expectations of complex emergencies. British Medical Journal 319, 422–426. (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2002) Acquired rifamycin resistance in persons with advanced HIV disease being treated for active tuberculosis with intermittent rifamycin-based regimens. Morbity and Mortality Weekly Reports 51, 214–215.
- 1994) Impact of interaction with HIV. In: Tuberculosis back to the future (eds JPorter & KMcAdam), John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, pp. 35–49. (
- 1994) Cost-effectiveness of chemotherapy for sputum smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis in Malawi, Mozambique and Tanzania. International Journal of Health Planning & Management 9, 151–181. , , , , & (
- 1989) Smear and culture-negative pulmonary Tuberculosis: 4-month short course chemotherapy. American Reviews of Respiratory Disease 139, 867–870. , & (
- East African/BMRC study (1981) Controlled Clinical Trial of five Short Course (4 month) Chemotherapy regimens in Pulmonary Tuberculosis. American Reviews of Respiratory Disease 123, 165–170.
- 1994) The epidemiological basis of tuberculosis control. In: Clinical Tuberculosis (ed PDavies), Chapman & Hall, London; pp. 19–30. & (
- 1978) The fate of cases of pulmonary tuberculosis under various treatment Programmes. Bulletin of International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 53, 70–75. & (
- Hong Kong Chest service/BMRC (1982) Controlled trial of four 3-times-weekly regimens and a daily regimen all given for 6-months for pulmonary tuberculosis, second report: the results up to 24 months. Tubercle 63, 89–98.
- Hong Kong Chest service/TB research centre, Madras/BMRC (1984) A controlled trial of 2-month, 3-month, and 12-month regimens of chemotherapy for sputum-smear-negative- pulmonary tuberculosis. American Reviews of Respiratory Disease 130, 23–28.
- Hong Kong Chest service/BMRC (1987) Five-year follow-up of a controlled trial of five 6-month regimens of chemotherapy for pulmonary tuberculosis. American Reviews of Respiratory Disease 136, 1339–1342.
- Hong Kong Chest service/TB research centre, Madras/BMRC (1989) A Controlled trial of 3-month, 4-month, and 6-month regimens of chemotherapy for sputum smear negative-pulmonary tuberculosis. American Reviews of Respiratory Disease 139, 871–876.
- 1996) Independent origin of mono-rifampin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis in patients with AIDS. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 153, 837–840. , , et al. (
- 1994) Famine, complex emergencies and international policy in Africa: an overview. In: War and Hunger: Rethinking international responses to complex emergencies (eds JMacrae, A Zwi, M Duffield & HSlim), Zed Books, London, pp. 6–36. & (
- 1997) Acquired drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates recovered from compliant patients with human immunodeficiency virus-associated tuberculosis. Clinical Infectious Diseases 25, 1044–1047. , , et al. (
- 1990) Tuberculosis in developing countries: burden, intervention and cost. Bulletin of International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 65, 6–23. , & (
- 1993) Tuberculosis. In: Diseases Control Priorities in Developing Countries (eds DJamison, WMosley, AMeasham & JLBobadilla), Oxford Medical Publications, Oxford, pp. 233–259. , & (
- 1996) Selective malabsorption and the origin of mono-rifampin resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis. (Correspondence). American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 154, 1213. & (
- 1995) Pulmonary tuberculosis in HIV infected patients in Zaire. New England Journal of Medicine 332, 779–784. , et al. (
- 1986) Review of tuberculosis control programmes in the Far East Region of the IUATLD. Bulletin of the International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 64, 7–20. (
- 1992) An estimate of the future size of the tuberculosis problem in sub-Saharan Africa resulting from HIV infection. Tubercle and Lung Disease 73, 52–58. , , & (
- Singapore Tuberculosis Service/BMRC (1981) Clinical trial of 6-month and 4-month regimens of chemo-therapy in the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis the results up to 30 months. Tubercle 62, 95–102.
- Singapore Tuberculosis Service/BMRC (1986) Long-term Follow-up of a Clinical Trial of 6-month and 4-month regimens of chemotherapy in the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. American Reviews of Respiratory Disease 133, 779–783.
- Singapore Tuberculosis Service/BMRC (1988) Five-year follow-up of a Clinical Trial of three 6-month regimens of chemotherapy given intermittently in the continuation phase in the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. American Reviews of Respiratory Disease 137, 147–1150.
- 2001) HIV-1 and recurrence, relapse, and reinfection of tuberculosis after cure: a cohort study in South African mineworkers. Lancet 358, 1687–1693. , , , , & (
- TB Research Centre Madras and National TB Institute, Bangalore, (1986) A controlled trial of 3- and 5-month regimens in the treatment of sputum-smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis. American Reviews of Respiratory Disease 134, 27–33.
- TB Research Centre Madras and National TB Institute, Bangalore, (1990) 5-year result of a 3- and 5-month regimen for the treatment of sputum-positive pulmonary tuberculosis. Tubercle 71, 253–258.
- 1998) Report on interviews with agencies responsible for TB programs in Southern Sudan. 11/97–02/98. New Sudan Council of Churches. (
- 1998) Somalia. Evaluation of the TB programme in Kismayu (MSF Belgium). (
- Tuberculosis Research Centre, Madras, (1983) Study of chemotherapy regimens of 5 and 7 months’ duration and the role of corticosteroids in the treatment of sputum-positive patients with pulmonary TB in South India. Tubercle 64, 73–91.
- 1998) The long-term dynamics of tuberculosis and other diseases with long serial intervals: implications of and for changing reproduction numbers. Epidemiology and Infection 121, 309–324. & (
- WHO (1997) The WHO/IUATLD Global Project on Anti-tuberculosis Drug Resistance Surveillance. Anti-tuberculosis Drug Resistance in the World (WHO/TB/97.229) WHO, Geneva.
- WHO, UNHCR (1997) Tuberculosis Control in Refugee Situations: An Inter-agency Field Manual (Global Tuberculosis Programme) (WHO/TB/97.221), WHO, Geneva.