Monitoring mosquito net coverage for malaria control in Africa: possession vs. use by children under 5 years
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2003
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 8, Issue 8, pages 693–703, August 2003
How to Cite
Korenromp, E. L., Miller, J., Cibulskis, R. E., Kabir Cham, M., Alnwick, D. and Dye, C. (2003), Monitoring mosquito net coverage for malaria control in Africa: possession vs. use by children under 5 years. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 8: 693–703. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2003.01084.x
- Issue online: 18 JUL 2003
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2003
- 1999) Mosquito avoidance and bed net use in the Greater Accra Region, Ghana. Journal of Biosocial Sciences 31, 79–92. & (
- 2003) Factors effecting use of permethrin-treated bednets during a randomised-controlled trial in Western Kenya. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68, 149–160. , , et al. (
- 1997) Acceptability and use of insecticide impregnated bednets in northern Ghana. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2, 499–507.Direct Link: & (
- 1996) Impact of permethrin impregnated bednets on child mortality in Kassena-Nankana district, Ghana: a randomized controlled trial. Tropical Medicine and International Health 1, 147–154. , , et al. (
- 1986) Bed-nets (mosquito-nets) and morbidity from malaria. Lancet 2, 204–207. , , et al. (
- 1997) [Knowledge, attitudes and practice of populations faced with culicidae nuisances: results of 6 surveys taken in Cameroon in 1994]. Bulletin de la Societé de Pathologie Exotique 90, 364–369. , , , & (
- 2001) Do untreated bednets protect against malaria? Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 95, 457–462. , , , , & (
- 1999) A climate-based distribution model of malaria transmission in sub-Saharan Africa. Parasitology Today 15, 105–111. , & (
- 1994) Nationwide survey of bednet use in rural Gambia. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 72, 391–394. , , , & (
- 1995a) Mortality and morbidity from malaria in Gambian children after introduction of an impregnated bednet programme [see comments]. Lancet 345, 479–483. , , et al. (
- 1995b) A comparison of the efficacy of insecticide-treated and untreated bed nets in preventing malaria in Gambian children. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 89, 596–598. , , et al. (
- 1990) [Evaluation of practice and costs of vector control on a family level in Central Africa. II. Douala City (Cameroon), July 1988]. Annales de la Societé Belge de Médicine Tropicale 70, 137–144. , , , , & (
- 2002) The cost of not treating bednets. Trends in Parasitology 18, 12–16. & (
- 1997) Do insecticide-treated curtains reduce all-cause child mortality in Burkina Faso? Tropical Medicine and International Health 2, 855–862. , , et al. (
- 2001) Malaria control in Bungoma district, Kenya: a survey of home treatment of children with fever, bednet use and attendance at antenatal clinics. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 79, 1014–1023. , , & (
- 2002) Insecticide-treated bednet use, anaemia, and malaria parasitaemia in Blantyre district, Malawi. Tropical Medicine and International Health 7, 220–230. , , et al. (
- 1995) Africa – a Topographic and Climatic Database (CD-ROM). Center for Resource and Environmental Studies, Australian University, Canberra. , , & (
- 1999) Maintenance and sustained use of insecticide-treated bednets and curtains three years after a controlled trial in western Kenya. Tropical Medicine and International Health 4, 728–735. , , , , & (
- Kampala City Council (2002) Mosquito Net Coverage. Baseline Assessment in 5 Parishes of Kampala. Kampala City Council, Kampala.
- 2000) Insecticide treated bednets and curtains for malaria control (Cochrane Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev Issue 2: CD 000363. (
- 1997) Rwanda prevention and impregnated mosquito net survey: report on knowledge, attitudes and practices research. Population Services International, Kigali. , , & (
- MARA (1995) Mapping Malaria Risk in Africa. http://www.mara.org.za.
- 2002) Socially marketed insecticide-treated nets improve malaria and anaemia in pregnancy in southern Tanzania. Tropical Medicine and International Health 7, 149–158. , , et al. (
- Netmark (2001) Netmark baseline survey on insecticide-treated materials (ITMs): cross-national summary of findings. Netmark, a regional partnership for sustainable malaria prevention. http://www.netmarkafrica.org/research/quantitative/CrossCountryQuan2001.pdf.
- 1996) Insecticide-treated bednets reduce mortality and severe morbidity from malaria among children on the Kenyan coast. Tropical Medicine and International Health 1, 139–146. , , et al. (
- 2001) Factors influencing the use of bed nets in Mbarara municipality of Uganda. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 65, 877–882. (
- 2002) Analysis of Community-based Baseline Survey of Roll Back Malaria Indicators in Four Sentinel Districts. Division of Malaria Control, Ministry of Health, Kenya. & (
- 2002) Community factors associated with malaria prevention by mosquito nets: an exploratory study in rural Burkina Faso. Tropical Medicine and International Health 7, 240–248. (
- ORC Macro/Measure DHS Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS). ORC Macro, Calverton, MD. http://measuredhs.com.
- 1991) [Use of permethrin-impregnated curtains by the inhabitants of a rural community in Burkina Faso]. Parassitologia 33, 93–98. , , , & (
- Roll Back Malaria (2000a) The African summit on Roll Back Malaria. World Health Organization, Abuja. WHO/CDS/RBM/2000.17.
- Roll Back Malaria (2000b) Framework for Monitoring Progress and Evaluating Outcomes and Impact. World Health Organization, Geneva. WHO/CDS/RBM/2000.25.
- 1997) Social Marketing of Impregnated Mosquito Nets in Mashonaland Central, Zimbabwe. Population Services International, Harare. (
- 2003) Malaria seasonality and the potential impact of climate change in Africa. (in press). , & (
- UNICEF (2001) Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys (MICS-2)/End of Decade Assessment. http://www.childinfo.org/MICS2/.
- 1996) Motivation à l'acquisition et à l'utilization des mostiquaires imprégnées dans une zone à paludisme stable au Burundi. Tropical Medicine and International Health 1, 71–80. , , & (
- World Bank (2003) Living Standard Measurement Surveys (LSMS). http://www.worldbank.org/lsms/.
- 2000) Malaria control in central Malaita, Solomon Islands. 1. The use of insecticide-impregnated bed nets. Acta Tropica 75, 173–183. , , et al. (