The effect of soil type and climate on hookworm (Necator americanus) distribution in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2003
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 8, Issue 8, pages 722–727, August 2003
How to Cite
Mabaso, M. L. H., Appleton, C. C., Hughes, J. C. and Gouws, E. (2003), The effect of soil type and climate on hookworm (Necator americanus) distribution in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 8: 722–727. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.2003.01086.x
- Issue online: 18 JUL 2003
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2003
- 1970) Further observations on the formol-ether concentration technique for faecal parasites. Journal of Clinical Pathology 23, 545–547. & (
- 1994) Compiling an atlas of parasitism for Natal province, South Africa. Abstract of the 8th International Congress of Parasitology, Izmir, Turkey, p. 355. & (
- 1996) The distribution of common intestinal nematodes along an altitudinal transect in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 90, 181–188. & (
- 1999) The distribution of helminth infections along the coastal plain of KwaZulu-Natal province, South Africa. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 93, 859–868. , & (
- 2000) Eradication of helminthic infections may be essential for successful vaccination against HIV and turberculsis. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 78, 1368–1369. & (
- 2001) Helminths, human immunodeficiency virus and tuberculosis. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 33, 568–571. , , et al. (
- 1967) The species of hookworm and degree of egg load in Zimbabwe. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 61, 538–540. & (
- 1985) Selective primary health care: strategies for control of disease in developing world. XVIII. Hookworm infection and anaemia. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 7, 111–118. (
- 1967) Ternidens deminutus Ralliet and Henry (Nematoda): a diagnostic problem in Rhodesia. Central African Journal of Medicine 13, 54–59. (
- 1995) Soil Ecology. Cambridge University Press, New York. (
- Land Type Survey Staff (1986) Land types of the map 2632– Mkuze. Memoirs of the Agricultural Natural Resources of South Africa No. 6.
- 2001) Immune responses in hookworm infections. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 14, 689–703. & (
- 2001a) Helminthic infection and HIV vaccine trials. Science 291, 46–47. & (
- 2001b) Helminthiasis and HIV vaccine efficacy. Lancet 357, 1799. & (
- 1973) The agricultural and related development of the Tugela basin and its influent surrounds - a study in sub-tropical Africa. Natal Town and Regional Planning Commission Report No. 9. Pietermaritzburg. (
- 1991) The parasite. In: Hookworm Infections (eds HMGilles & PAJBall) Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 15–49. (
- 1982) Agrohydrology and Climatology of Natal. Agricultural Catchment Research Unit Report No 14. University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg. (
- 1981) Intestinal parasitic infections in black scholars in northern KwaZulu. South African Medical Journal 60, 137–141. , , & (
- 1990) Ecology of the free-living stages: a reappraisal. In: Hookworm Disease: Current Status and New Directions (eds GASchad & KSWarren) Taylor and Francis, London, pp. 98–104. (
- 1963) The Biology of Plant Parasitic Nematodes. Edward Arnold, London. (
- World Health Organization (1964) Soil-transmitted helminths. Technical Report Series No. 277. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (1996) Strengthening interventions to reduce helminth infections (document 1): as an entry point for the development of health promoting schools. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2001) Intestinal parasites: Burden and trends. WHO web site (http://www.who.int).