Reassurance through surveillance in the face of clinical uncertainty: the experience of women at risk of familial breast cancer
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Volume 3, Issue 4, pages 263–273, December 2000
How to Cite
Parsons, E. P., Beale, V., Bennett, H., Jones, J. and Lycett, E. J. (2000), Reassurance through surveillance in the face of clinical uncertainty: the experience of women at risk of familial breast cancer. Health Expectations, 3: 263–273. doi: 10.1046/j.1369-6513.2000.00097.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 51995.& . Expert Advisory Group on Cancer. A policy framework for commissioning cancer services. A Report to the Chief Medical Officers of England and Wales. London: DoH and Welsh Office,
- 6Department of Health. Cancer Genetic Services. Report of a Working Group for the Department of Health. NHS Executive Series no. HSC 1998/031. London: DoH, 1998.
- 91981., , . Genetic Counselling and its Effectiveness. March of Dimes Birth Defects. Original Article Series, Vol. XVII, No. 4. New York: Alan Liss,
- 12Genetic risk and reproduction. Sociological Review, 1993; 41 : 4679 4706.& .
- 15A randomised trial of genetic assessment service for familial breast cancer. Journal of National Cancer Institute, 2000; in press., , et al.
- 181970.. Profession of Medicine: A Study of Applied Knowledge. New York: Harper & Row,
- 19On the routinised nature of work in people-processing agencies: the case of adenotonsillectomy assessments in ENT outpatients. In: Davis A (ed.) Relationships Between Clincians and Patients. Farnborough: Saxon House, 1978: 29–47..
- 21Talking to patients about cancer: No excuse now for not doing it. British Medical Journal, 1996; 31 : 699 700..
- 261982.. Children in Clinics. A Sociological Analysis of Medical Work with Children. London: Tavistock,
- 271951.. The Social System. Glencoe: Free Press,
- 28Surveillance, knowledge and risk: the embodied experience of cervical screening. Health, 1998; 2 : 195 215..
- 29Sociological critiques of health promotion. In: Bunton R, Nettleton S, Burrows R. (eds) The Sociology of Health Promotion. London: Routledge, 1995.& .
- 301984.& . Medicine and the Management of Living. Chicago: Chicago University Press,
- 321963.. Passage Through Crisis: Polio Victims and Their Families. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill,
- 331976.. The Meaning of Disability: A Sociological Study of Impairment. London: Heinemann,
- 34The sick role and the role of the physician reconsidered. Health and Society, 1957; 53 : 257 278..
- 351985.. The Post-Modern Condition. Minneapolis: University of Minneapolis Press,
- 361990.. The Consequences of Modernity. Cambridge: Polity Press,
- 371992., , . Postmodernism: Change in Advanced Society. London: Sage,
- 411999.. Management of Women at Increased Risk of Breast Cancer as a Result of their Family History. Report for Breast Test Wales, Cardiff,