An advanced practice nurse is a nurse with a graduate education, expanded clinical, theoretical, and research-based knowledge and skills.32
Development and evaluation of a breast cancer prevention decision aid for higher-risk women
Version of Record online: 21 FEB 2003
Volume 6, Issue 1, pages 3–18, March 2003
How to Cite
Stacey, D., O'Connor, A. M., DeGrasse, C. and Verma, S. (2003), Development and evaluation of a breast cancer prevention decision aid for higher-risk women. Health Expectations, 6: 3–18. doi: 10.1046/j.1369-6513.2003.00195.x
- Issue online: 21 FEB 2003
- Version of Record online: 21 FEB 2003
- Accepted for publication 28 August 2002
- 1Addressing the support needs of women at high risk for breast cancer: evidence-based care by advanced practice nurses. Oncology Nursing Forum, 2002; 29: E77–E84. Retrieved 12 August 2002 from http://www.ons.org/xp6/ONS/Library.xml/ONS_Publications.xml/ONF.xml., , .
- 7Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. (Cochrane Review) In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 3. Oxford: Update Softwear, 2001., et al.
- 9National Cancer Institute of Canada. Canadian Cancer Statistics 2002. Toronto: National Cancer Institute, 2002.
- 10National Cancer Institute. Probability of breast cancer in American women. In: National Cancer Institute. 7 May 2001.http://www.cancer.gov/cancer_information/cancer_type/breast (23 May 2002).
- 11National Cancer Institute. National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP) Breast Cancer Prevention Trial (BCPT). In: National Cancer Institute. 4 June 1998. http://22.214.171.124/NCI_CANCER_TRIALS s/PressInfo/PressKit/press/slides/1.html (4 June 1998).
- 12National Cancer Institute. Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Tool. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 2000.
- 13Cochrane Inventory of Existing Patient Decision Aids. Ottawa Health Research Institute. 30 August 2002. http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemilogy/OHDEC/decision_aids.asp (18 October 2002)., .
- 16American Institute for Cancer Research. Food, Nutrition, and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective. Washington, DC: American Institute for Cancer Research, 1997.
- 24Ontario Cancer Genetics Network. Ontario Cancer Genetics Network Consensus Recommendations for Breast Cancer Risk Management in Familial Breast/Ovarian Cancer. Toronto: Ontario Cancer Genetics Network, 1999.
- 27Evidence-Informed patient choice. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, 1998; 14: 2., , , .
- 28Consumer Health Informatics and Patient Decision-making (AHCPR Pub. No. 98-N001). Rockville, MD: Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, 1997., , .
- 30Outcomes research: implications for policy and practice. In Smith, DelamotherT (eds) Outcomes in Clinical Practice. London: BMJ Publishing Group, 1995..
- 31Patient compliance and the decision making process of clinicians and patients. Journal of Compliance in Health Care, 1987; 2: 55–71.,
- 32Canadian Nurses Association. Advanced Nursing Practice: A National Framework. Ottawa, Ontario: Canadian Nurses Association, 2000.
- 35Development and evaluation of a decision aid about prenatal testing for women of advanced maternal age. Journal of Genetic Counseling, 1999; 8: 217–233., , et al.
- 39Testing a portable, self-administered, decision aid for post-menopausal women considering long-term hormone replacement therapy (HRT) to prevent osteoporosis and heart disease. Medical Decision Making, 1994; 14: 438 (abstract)., , .
- 42Evaluation Measures. In: Ottawa Health Research Institute. 6 September 2001. http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemilogy/OHDEC/decision_aids.asp (23 May, 2002)..
- 43Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. Toronto: Academic Press, 1977.
- 44Simple versus complex patient decision aids: is more necessarily better? Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Society for Technology Assessment in Health Care, The Hague, Netherlands, June 2000., , et al.