Present address: Malorie B. Gélinas, Département des Sciences Biologiques, Université de Montréal, C.P. 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville Montréal, H3C 3J7, Canada.
Phenotypic plasticity and the evolution of trade-offs: the quantitative genetics of resource allocation in the wing dimorphic cricket, Gryllus firmus
Article first published online: 11 DEC 2002
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 55–63, January 2003
How to Cite
Roff, D. A. and Gélinas, M. B. (2003), Phenotypic plasticity and the evolution of trade-offs: the quantitative genetics of resource allocation in the wing dimorphic cricket, Gryllus firmus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 16: 55–63. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00480.x
- Issue published online: 11 DEC 2002
- Article first published online: 11 DEC 2002
- Received 21 February 2002;revised 5 July 2002;accepted 4 September 2002
- 1999. Variation in clutch size and offspring size relative to environmental conditions in the lizard Sceloporus virgatus. J. Herpet. 33: 173–180.
- 1968. Life cycles, specialization and related phenomena in crickets. Quart. Rev. Biol. 43: 1–41.
- 1983. Reproductive tactics in an island population of adders, Vipera berus (L.), with a fluctuating food resource. Amphibia-Reptilia 4: 63–79. &
- 1998. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity in growth, development, and body size in the yellow dung fly. Evolution 52: 1394–1407.
- 1999. Effect of food availability on egg production and packaging in the intertidal scavenging gastropod Nassarius festivus. Mar. Biol. 135: 281–287. &
- 1995. Fitness differences associated with calling behaviour in the two wing morphs of male sand crickets, Gryllus firmus. Anim. Behav. 50: 1475–1481. &
- 1998a. The genetic basis of the trade-off between calling and wing morph in males of the cricket, Gryllus firmus. Evolution 52: 1111–1118. &
- 1998b. The contingency of fitness: an analysis of food restriction on the macroptery-reproduction trade-off in Gryllus firmus. Anim. Behav. 56: 433–441. &
- 1971. Quantitative under-feeding of Drosophila I: effects on adult longevity and fecundity. Exp. Geront. 6: 249–257. , &
- 1996. Migration. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1995. The effect of supplemental food on life-history traits and demography of a tropical mouse Peromyscus mexicanus. J. Anim. Ecol. 64: 348–360. &
- 1993a. Genetics of life history in Daphnia magna. I. Heritabilities at two food levels. Heredity 70: 335–343. , &
- 1993b. Genetics of life history in Daphnia magna. II. Phenotypic plasticity. Heredity 70: 344–352. , &
- 1996. Sexual selection and the evolution of sexual dimorphism in the waterstrider, Aquarius remigis. Evolution 50: 1501–1511. &
- 1952. The problem of environment and selection. Am. Nat. 86: 293–298.
- 1971. Field populations of deermice with supplemental food. Ecology 52: 138–146.
- 1999. The evolutionary genetics of an adaptive maternal effect: egg size plasticity in a seed beetle. Evolution 53: 552–560. , , &
- 1992. The mixed-model analysis of variance applied to quantitative genetics: biological meaning of the parameters. Evolution 46: 540–550.
- 1992. Effects of food, genotype, and maternal size and age on offspring investment in Daphnia magna. Ecology 73: 910–926.
- 1997. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity in a colonizing population of the ladybird beetle, Harmonia axyridis. Heredity 78: 261–269. , &
- 1985. Barriers to gene exchange between closely related cricket species. II. Life cycle variation and temporal isolation. Evolution 39: 244–259.
- 1986. Food abundance and clutch size of tree swallows Tachycineta bicolor. Ibis 129: 243–258. &
- 1971. Relation between egg production and food consumption in species of the genus Pardosa (Lycosidae, Araneae) under experimental conditions of food abundance and food shortage. Oecologia 8: 93–109.
- 1997. Randomization, Bootstrap and Monte Carlo Methods in Biology. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 1988. Evolutionary costs of aggression revealed by testosterone manipulation in free-living male lizards. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 23: 21–26. &
- 1994. Effect of food quantity on growth and reproductive characteristics of Capitella sp. (Annelida: Polychaeta). Invertebr. Repr. Dev. 26: 175–185.
- 1985. Costs of reproduction: an evaluation of the empirical evidence. Oikos 44: 257–267.
- 1989. Exaptation and the evolution of dealation in insects. J. Evol. Biol. 2: 109–123.
- 1994. Evidence that the magnitude of the trade-off in a dichotomous trait is frequency dependent. Evolution 48: 1650–1656.
- 1998. Effects of inbreeding on morphological and life history traits of the sand cricket, Gryllus firmus. Heredity 81: 28–37.
- 2001. Life History Evolution. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 2002. Inbreeding depression: tests of the overdominance and partial dominance hypotheses. Evolution 56: 768–775.
- 1991. Wing dimorphisms and the evolution of migratory polymorphisms among the insecta. Am. Zool. 31: 243–251. &
- 2002. The evolution of trade-offs: testing predictions on response to selection and environmental variation. Evolution 56: 84–95. , &
- 1994. The estimation of the genetic correlation: the use of the jackknife. Heredity 73: 544–548. &
- 1997. The evolution of threshold traits: a quantitative genetic analysis of the physiological and life history correlates of wing dimorphism in the sand cricket. Evolution 51: 1910–1919. , &
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity in reproductive traits: geographical variation in plasticity in a viviparous snake. Func. Ecol. 15: 36–42. &
- Estimating and interpreting genetic covariances across environments. In: Evolution of Phenotypic Plasticity (P. M.Brakefield & P. H.Van Tienderen, eds). Oxford University Press, Oxford (in press). &
- 1976. Clutch size of two marine snails with a changing food supply. Ecology 57: 1162–1178. &
- 1976. Life-history tactics: a review of the ideas. Q. Rev. Biol. 51: 3–46.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in life-history traits: predictions of reaction norms for age and size at maturity. Evolution 40: 893–913. &
- 2001. Does a negative genetic correlation between wing morph and early fecundity imply a functional constraint in Gryllus firmus. J. Evol. Biol. 3: 157–177. , , &
- 1993. Allocation of resources to egg production and flight muscle development in a wing dimorphic cricket, Modicogryllus confirmatus. J. Insect Physiol. 39: 493–498.
- 1998. Physiological trade-offs between reproduction, flight capability and longevity in a wing-dimorphic cricket, Modicogryllus confirmatus. J. Insect Physiol. 44: 121–129. &
- 1982. The relationship between food ration and reproductive effort in the green sea urchin, Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis. Oecologia 56: 50–57.
- 1984. The quantitative genetics of polyphagy in an insect herbivore. II. Genetic correlations in larval performance within and among host plants. Evolution 38: 896–905.
- 1995. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity: consensus and controversy. TREE 5: 212–217. , , , , &
- 1985. Genotype–environment interaction and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 39: 505–522. &
- 1973. The effect of size of food ration on egg production in the female three-spined stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus L. J. Fish Biol. 5: 89–96.
- 1997. Flight-muscle polymorphism in the cricket Gryllus firmus: muscle characteristics and their influence on the evolution of flightlessness. Physiol. Zool. 70: 519–529. , &