Evolution in stressful environments II: adaptive value and costs of plasticity in response to low light in Sinapis arvensis
Article first published online: 10 FEB 2003
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 16, Issue 2, pages 313–323, March 2003
How to Cite
Steinger, T., Roy, B. A. and Stanton, M. L. (2003), Evolution in stressful environments II: adaptive value and costs of plasticity in response to low light in Sinapis arvensis. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 16: 313–323. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00518.x
- Issue published online: 10 FEB 2003
- Article first published online: 10 FEB 2003
- 1981. Reponses to different quantum flux densities. In: Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology, Vol. 12A. (L.Lange, P. S.Nobel, C. B.Osmond & H.Ziegler, eds), pp. 57–107. Springer, Berlin.
- 1995. Visualizing and quantifying natural selection. TREE 10: 313–318. , &
- 2002. Shade-induced plasticity and its ecological significance in wild populations of Arabidopsis thaliana. Ecology 83: 1965–1980. &
- 1983. Growth and morphogenesis of sun and shade plants. II. The influence of light quality. Acta Bot. Neerl. 32: 185–202.
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity: tests with predator-induced morphology and life history in a freshwater snail. J. Evol. Biol. 11: 465–480.
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. TREE 13: 77–81. , &
- 2001. Adaptive divergence in plasticity in natural populations of Impatiens capensis and its consequences for performance in novel habitats. Evolution 55: 692–702. , , , &
- 2000. Evidence of adaptive divergence in plasticity: density- and site-dependent selection on shade-avoidance responses in Impatiens capensis. Evolution 54: 1956–1968. , , , &
- 2000. Plasticity to light cues and resources in Arabidopsis thaliana: testing for adaptive value and costs. Evolution 54: 1982–1994. , &
- 1996. Differing selection on plant physiological traits in response to environmental water availability: a test of adaptive hypotheses. Evolution 50: 96–102.
- 1996. Testing the adaptive plasticity hypothesis: density-dependent selection on manipulated stem length in Impatiens capensis. Am. Nat. 147: 445–465. &
- 1993. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman & Hall, New York. &
- 1972. The quantitative analysis of plant growth. Studies in Ecology, Vol. 1. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 1981. Environmental Physiology of Plants. Academic Press, London. &
- 1985. The genetics of incompatibility in Sinapis arvensis. Heredity 54: 99–102. &
- 1997. A bootstrap comparison of genetic covariance matrices. Biometrics 53: 1026–1039. &
- 2000. Costs of plasticity in foraging characteristics of the clonal plant Ranunculus reptans. Evolution 54: 1947–1955. , &
- 1998. Plant Physiological Ecol. Springer, New York. , &
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 1996. Effects of light intensity and spectral quality on the growth and development of seedlings of six Asian rainforest trees. Ecology 77: 568–580. , , , &
- 1993. Plasticity in fluctuating environments. In: Adaptation In Stochastic Environments. (J.Yoshimura & C. W.Clark, eds), pp. 105–121. Springer, Berlin.
- 1999. Effects of red to far-red ratio and plant density on biomass allocation and gas exchange in Impatiens capensis. Int. J. Plant Sci. 160: 723–733. , , &
- 1987. Regression analysis of natural selection – statistical inference and biological interpretation. Evolution 41: 1149–1161. &
- 1992. The evolutionary maintenance of alternative phenotypes. Am. Nat. 139: 971–989.
- 1996. Plastic inducible morphologies are not always adaptive: the importance of time delays in a stochastic environment. Evol. Ecol. 10: 105–117. &
- 1999. Genes affecting phenotypic plasticity in Arabidopsis: pleiotropic effects and reproductive fitness of photomorphogenic mutants. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 551–562. &
- 1995. Reaction-norms of Arabidopsis. I. Plasticity of characters and correlations across water, nutrient and light gradients. J. Evol. Biol. 8: 421–438. , &
- 1999. Growth responses of 15 rain-forest tree species to a light gradient: the relative importance of morphological and physiological traits. Funct. Ecol. 13: 396–410.
- 2000. The role of biomass allocation in the growth response of plants to different levels of light, CO2, nutrients and water: a quantitative review. Austr. J. Plant Physiol. 27: 595–607. &
- 1998. Is inherent variation in RGR determined by LAR at low irradiance and by NAR at high irradiance? A review of herbaceous species. In: Inherent Variation in Plant Growth. (H.Lambers & H.Poorter & M. M. I.Van Vuuren, eds), pp. 309–336. Backhuys Publishers, Leiden. &
- 1992. The measurement of selection on quantitative traits – biases due to environmental covariances between traits and fitness. Evolution 46: 616–626.
- 1999. Asymmetry in wild mustard, Sinapis arvensis (Brassicaceae), in response to severe physiological stresses. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 440–449. &
- 1999. Effects of environmental stress on leaf hair density and consequences for selection. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 1089–1103. , &
- SAS Institute. 1989. SAS/STAT user's guide. Version 6, 4th edn., Vol. 2. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC.
- 1998. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. VIII. The cost of plasticity in Daphnia pulex. Evolution 52: 368–378. &
- 1989. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. 1. Heritability. J. Evol. Biol. 2: 95–107. &
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 17: 667–693.
- 1992. Phenotypic variation in plants. Evol. Trends Plants 61: 45–60.
- 1995. A test of the adaptive plasticity hypothesis using transgenic and mutant plants disabled in phytochrome-mediated elongation responses to neighbors. Am. Nat. 146: 937–953. , &
- 1999. Manipulative approaches to testing adaptive plasticity: phytochrome-mediated shade-avoidance responses in plants. Am. Nat. 154: S43–S54. , &
- 2000. Plasticity in relative growth rate and its components following a change in irradiance. Plant Cell Environ. 23: 1207–1216.
- 1996. Testing adaptation using phenotypic manipulations. In: Adaptation. (M. R.Rose & G.Lauder, eds), pp. 148–185. Academic Press, New York. &
- 1998. On phenotypic plasticity in relation to salt tolerance in Plantago coronopus. PhD dissertation. University of Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- 1981. Adaptation to shade. In: Physiological Processes Limiting Plant Productivity. (C. B.Johnson, ed.), pp. 159–173. Butterworths, London.
- 2000. Evolution in stressful environments. I. Phenotypic variability, phenotypic selection, and response to selection in five distinct environmental stresses. Evolution 54: 93–111. , &
- 1998. Differential effects of light quantity and spectral light quality on growth, morphology and development of two stoloniferous Potentilla species. Oecologia 117: 1–8. &
- 1987. Evolutionary implications of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Evol. Ecol. 21: 127–178.
- 1995. Phenotypic plasticity and plant adaptation. Acta Bot. Neerl. 44: 363–383.
- 1993. Phenotypic plasticity in Polygonum persicaria. 1. Diversity and uniformity in genotypic norms of reaction to light. Evolution 47: 1009–1031. &
- 1991. Evolution of generalists and specialists in spatially heterogeneous environments. Evolution 45: 1317–1331.
- 1997. Generalists, specialists, and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity in sympatric populations of distinct species. Evolution 51: 1372–1380.
- 2001. Shade avoidance syndrome in Picea omorika seedlings: a growth-room experiment. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 444–455. &
- 1998. Testing the adaptive plasticity of Iris pumila leaf traits to natural light conditions using phenotypic selection analysis. Acta Oecol. 19: 473–481. , , &
- 1998. Carbon partitioning strategies of tropical tree seedlings in contrasting light environments. In: Inherent Variation in Plant Growth. (H.Lambers, H.Poorter & M. M. I.Van Vuuren, eds), pp. 337–361. Backhuys Publishers, Leiden. &
- 1990. The causes of natural selection. Evolution 44: 1947–1955. &
- 2000. Differing selection in alternative competitive environments: shade-avoidance responses and germination timing. Evolution 54: 124–136.
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity early in life constrains developmental responses later. Evolution 55: 930–936. &
- 2000. The time value of leaf area. Am. Nat. 155: 649–656. , &
- 1989. Relationships among leaf construction cost, leaf longevity, and light environment in rain-forest plants of the genus Piper. Am. Nat. 133: 198–211. , &