Environment-dependent reversal of a life history trade-off in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus
Article first published online: 17 APR 2003
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 501–509, May 2003
How to Cite
Messina, F. J. and Fry, J. D. (2003), Environment-dependent reversal of a life history trade-off in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 16: 501–509. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00535.x
- Issue published online: 17 APR 2003
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2003
- 2001. Effects of assay conditions in life history experiments with Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 199–209. , , , , &
- 2001. An analysis of G matrix variation in two closely related cricket species, Gryllus firmus and G. pennsylvanicus. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 1–13. &
- 1986. The cost of reproduction. Oxf. Surv. Evol. Biol. 3: 83–131. &
- 1998. Dual modes of aging in Mediterranean fruit flies. Science 281: 996–998. , , , &
- 1990. Optimization models, quantitative genetics, and mutation. Evolution 44: 520–538.
- 1997. Phenotypic plasticity and selection in Drosophila life history evolution. 2. Diet, mates and the cost of reproduction. J. Evol. Biol. 10: 269–293. , , , &
- 2001. Extension of life-span loss of CHICO, a Drosophila insulin receptor substrate protein. Science 292: 104–106. , , , , , , &
- 1986. Relationships between larval density, adult size and egg production in the cowpea seed beetle, Callosobruchus maculatus. Ecol. Entomol 11: 41–50. , &
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 77–81. , &
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. Longman, Essex. &
- 2001. The effects of selection for larval behavior on adult life-history features in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 55: 2493–2502. &
- 1994. Oviposition substrate affects adult mortality, independent of reproduction, in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. Ecol. Entomol. 19: 108–110. &
- 1993. Phenotypic plasticity for life history traits in Drosophila melanogaster. I. Effect on phenotypic and environmental correlations. J. Evol. Biol. 6: 1–16. &
- 1986. Genetic correlation structure of life history variables in outbred, wild Drosophila melanogaster: effects of photoperiod regimen. Am. Nat. 128: 593–603.
- 1997. The effect of novel environment and sex on the additive genetic variation and covariation in and between emergence body weight and development period in the cowpea weevil, Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera, Bruchidae). Heredity 78: 158–165. , &
- 1999. Heritable variation and evolution under favourable and unfavourable conditions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 96–101. &
- 1990. The effect of new environment on adapted genetic architecture. Heredity 64: 323–330. , &
- 1991. Genetic covariance of fitness correlates: what genetic correlations are made of and why it matters. Evolution 45: 630–648.
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130: 195–204.
- 1999. Signals from the reproductive system regulate lifespan of C. elegans. Nature 399: 362–366. &
- 1995. Expression of genetic and environmental variation for life history characters on the usual and novel hosts in Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Heredity 75: 70–76.
- 2000. Quantitative trait loci for life span in Drosophila melanogaster: interactions with genetic background and larval density. Genetics 155: 1773–1788. &
- 1991. The evolution of life histories. In: Behavoural Ecology: An Evolutionary Approach (J. R.Krebs & N. B.Davies, eds), pp. 32–68. Blackwell, Oxford.
- 1996. SAS®System for Mixed Models. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC, USA. , , &
- 1991. Life-history variation in a seed beetle: adult egg-laying vs. larval competitive ability. Oecologia 85: 447–455.
- 1993. Heritability and ‘evolvability’ of fitness components in Callosobruchus maculatus. Heredity 71: 623–629.
- 1998. Maternal influences on larval competition in insects. In: Maternal Effects as Adaptations (T. A.Mousseau & C. W.Fox, eds), pp. 227–243. Oxford, New York.
- 1999. Expression of a life-history trade-off in a seed beetle depends on environmental context. Physiol. Entomol. 24: 358–363. &
- 1989a. Evolutionary demography of a bruchid beetle. I. Quantitative genetical analysis of the female life history. Funct. Ecol. 3: 673–681. , &
- 1989b. Evolutionary demography of bruchid beetle. II. Physiological manipulations. Funct. Ecol. 3: 683–691. , &
- 1990. Evolutionary demography of bruchid beetle. III. Correlated responses to selection and phenotypic plasticity. Funct. Ecol. 4: 489–493. , &
- 2001. Reproductive potential predicts longevity of female Mediterranean fruit flies. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 445–450. , , , &
- 1990. Genetic correlations among life history characters of adult females in the azuki bean weevil, Callosobruchus chinensis (L.) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Appl. Entomol. Zool. 25: 423–430. &
- 1986. Acquisition and allocation of resources: their influence on variation in life history tactics. Am. Nat. 128: 137–142. &
- 2002. Temperature-induced shifts in associations of longevity with body size in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 56: 299–306. &
- 1997. The effect of temperature on body size and fecundity in female Drosophila melanogaster: evidence for adaptive plasticity. Evolution 51: 1529–1535. &
- 1992. Measuring reproductive costs. Trends Ecol. Evol. 7: 99–100.
- 1985. Costs of reproduction: an evaluation of the empirical evidence. Oikos 44: 257–267.
- 2000. Big houses, big cars, superfleas and the costs of reproduction. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15: 421–425. , &
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA, USA.
- 1998. Evolutionary physiology of the cost of reproduction. Oikos 83: 443–451. &
- SAS Institute Inc. 1992. SAS®Technical Report P-229, SAS®/STAT Software: Changes and Enhancements, Release 6.07.SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- 1998. Phenotypic Evolution: A Reaction Norm Perspective. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA, USA. &
- 1985. Genetic covariation among life-history components: the effects of novel environments. Evolution 39: 943–945. &
- 1999. A delayed wave of death from reproduction in Drosophila. Science 286: 2521–2524. &
- 2000. Evolutionary responses of the life history of wild-caught Drosophila melanogaster to two standard methods of laboratory culture. Am. Nat. 156: 341–353. &
- 1998. Mechanistic and selective causes of life-history trade-offs and plasticity. Oikos 83: 432–442. &
- 1991. Genetic and phenotypic aspects of life-history evolution in animals. Adv. Ecol. Res. 21: 63–120.
- 1991. The covariance structure of life-history characters in Daphnia pulex. Evolution 45: 1081–1090. , &
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford, New York.
- 1991. The effects of phenotypic plasticity on genetic correlations. Trends Ecol. Evol. 6: 122–126. , &
- 1993. A genetic mechanism for the evolution of senescence in Callosobruchus chinensis (the azuki bean weevil). Heredity 70: 318–321.
- 1996. How is life history variation generated from the genetic resource allocation? Res. Popul. Ecol. 38: 11–17.
- 2001. Senescence. In: Evolutionary Ecology: Concepts and Case Studies (C. W.Fox, .D. A.Roff & D. J.Fairbairn, eds), pp. 128–141. Oxford, New York.
- 1995. Nutrition mediates reproductive trade-offs with age-specific mortality in the beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. Ecology 76: 2066–2073. &
- 1993. Long-term cost of reproduction with and without accelerated senescence in Callosobruchus maculatus: analysis of age-specific mortality. Evolution 47: 1302–1312. , &
- 1998. Laboratory evolution of life-history traits in the bean weevil (Acanthoscelides obtectus): the effects of selection on development time in populations with different previous history. Evolution 52: 1713–1725. , , , &
- 1991. The effects to larval density on genetic variation and covariation among life-history traits in the bean weevil (Acanthoscelides obtectus Say). Funct. Ecol. 5: 525–534. , , , &
- 1996. Genetic Data Analysis II. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA, USA.
- 1966. Natural selection, the cost of reproduction, and a refinement of Lack's principle. Am. Nat. 100: 687–690.
- 1994. Evolution of clutch size in insects. II. A test of static optimality models using the beetle Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). J. Evol. Biol. 7: 365–386.
- 1989. Factors affecting egg maturation in the bean weevil Callosobruchus maculatus. Physiol. Entomol. 14: 115–126. &
- 1994. Genetic correlations and reaction norms in wing pattern of the tropical butterfly Bicyclus anynana. Heredity 73: 459–470.
- 1996. The Mathematica Book, 3rd edn. Wolfram Media/Cambridge University Press, Champaign, IL, USA.
- 1995. Direct selection on life span in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 49: 649–659. , &