Genetic polymorphism and trade-offs in the early life-history strategy of the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas (Thunberg, 1795): a quantitative genetic study
Article first published online: 17 APR 2003
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 399–414, May 2003
How to Cite
Ernande, B., Clobert, J., McCombie, H. and Boudry, P. (2003), Genetic polymorphism and trade-offs in the early life-history strategy of the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas (Thunberg, 1795): a quantitative genetic study. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 16: 399–414. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00543.x
- Issue published online: 17 APR 2003
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2003
- 1996. The effect of flexible growth rates on optimal sizes and development times in a seasonal environment. Am. Nat. 147: 381–395. , , &
- 1992. Intensive rearing of juvenile oysters Crassostrea gigas in an upwelling system: optimization of biological production. Aquat. Living Resour. 5: 89–98. &
- 1979. Biochemical changes in the Pacific oyster Crassostrea gigas (Thunberg, 1795) during larval development and metamorphosis. Proc. Natn. Shellfish Ass. 69: 202.
- 1989. Evolutionary quantitative genetics: how little do we know? Ann. Rev. Genet. 23: 337–370. &
- 1984. Manual of Quantitative Genetics. Academic Enterprises, Pullman.
- 1987. The heritable basis of variation in larval developmental patterns within population of the wood frog (Rana sylvatica). Evolution 41: 1088–1097.
- 1983. Interpreting geographic variation in life-history traits. Am. Zool. 23: 85–97. &
- 2000. Density-dependent natural selection in Drosophila: correlations between feeding rate, development time and viability. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 181–187. , , &
- 2002. High variance in reproductive success of the Pacific oyster (Crassostrea gigas, Thunberg) revealed by microsatellite-based parentage analysis of multifactorial crosses. Aquaculture 204: 283–296. , , , &
- 1997. Phenotypic plasticity and selection in Drosophila life-history evolution. 2. Diet, mates and the cost of reproduction. J. Evol. Biol. 10: 269–293. , , , &
- 1999. Relationship between pre- and post-metamorphic growth in the Pacific oyster Crassostrea gigas (Thunberg). Aquaculture 175: 215–226. , , , , &
- 1976. The role of the pelagic larva. In: Perspectives in Experimental Biology. Vol. 1. Zoology (D.P.Spencer, ed.), pp. 145–155. Pergamon Press, Oxford.
- 1998. Statistique théorique et appliquée. Tome 2 – Inférence statistique à une et à deux dimensions. De Boeck et Larcier, Paris et Bruxelles.
- 1950. Heritability of threshold characters. Genetics 35: 212–236. &
- 2002. Hormones, developmental plasticity and adaptation. Trends Evol. Ecol. 17: 190–196. , &
- 1992. Evolution in organisms that change their niches during the life cycle. Am. Nat. 139: 990–1021.
- 1993. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman & Hall, London. &
- 1976. The theoretical population genetics of variable selection and migration. Ann. Rev. Genet. 10: 253–280.
- 1987. Insect size tactics and developmental strategies. Oecologia 73: 178–184.
- 1990. Are responses to artificial selection for reproductive fitness characters consistently asymmetrical? Genet. Res. 56: 35–42.
- 1986. Growth and survival of larvae of Mercenaria mercenaria (L) and Crassostrea virginica (Gmelin) relative to broodstock conditioning and lipid content of eggs. Aquaculture 56: 105–121. &
- 1986. Lipid as an index of growth and viability in three species of bivalve larvae. Aquaculture 56: 81–103. , &
- 1988. Reaction norms for developmental time and weight at eclosion in Drosophila mercatorum. J. Evol. Biol. 1: 335–354. &
- 1994. Optimization of triploid induction by the use of 6-DMAP for the oyster Crassostrea gigas (Thunberg). Aquacult. Fish. Manag. 25: 709–719. , , , &
- 1994. Life-cycle and life-history diversity in marine invertebrates and the implications in community dynamics. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol.: Annu. Rev. 32: 305–333. , &
- 1989. Genotype–environment interactions and the maintenance of polygenic variation. Genetics 121: 129–138. &
- 1996. Variability, flexibility and plasticity in life histories of marine invertebrates. Oceanol. Acta 19: 323–334. &
- 1993. Genetic variation and covariation during larval and juvenile growth in Mercenaria mercenaria. Mar. Biol. 115: 97–104. , &
- 1978. Probabilities of non-positive definite between-group or genetic covariance matrices. Biometrics 34: 429–439. &
- 1973. Biochemical changes in fed and starved oysters, Ostrea edulis L., during larval development metamorphosis and early spat growth. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 51: 287–298. &
- 1994. Feeding habits and change of body composition with age in three nymphalid butterfly species. Oikos 69: 224–230.
- 1980. Broodstock management of Crassostrea gigas. I. Genetic and environmental variation in survival in the larval rearing system. Aquaculture 21: 323–336.
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates Inc., Sunderland. &
- 1997. Randomization, Bootstrap, and Monte Carlo Methods in Biology. 2nd edn. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1994. Vertebrate natal dispersal: the problem of non-independence of siblings. Oikos 70: 172–176. , , &
- 1989. Generalized Linear Models.Monographs on Statistics and Applied Probability No. 37. Chapman & Hall, London. &
- 1989. Evolutionary demography of a bruchid beetle. I. Quantitative genetic analysis of the female life history. Funct. Ecol. 3: 637–681. , &
- 1994. Adaptation and constraint in the complex life cycles of animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 25: 573–600.
- 2001. Effects of larval density on postmetamorphic spadefoot toads (Spea hammondii). Ecology 82: 510–522. &
- 1983. Growth of the larvae of Crassostrea gigas Thunberg fed with different algal species at high cell concentrations. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 39: 134–139.
- 1982. Phenotypic analysis of the European oyster Ostrea edulis L.: relationship between length of the larval period and postsettling growth rate. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 59: 177–184. &
- 1977. Genetics of larvae and spat growth rate in the oyster Crassostrea virginica. Mar. Biol. 41: 49–52. , , &
- 1988. Genetic variation for larval anuran (Scaphiopus couchii) development time in an uncertain environment. Evolution 42: 763–773.
- 1994. Effects of changing density and food level on metamorphosis of a desert amphibian, Scaphiopus couchii. Ecology 75: 1085–1096.
- 1996. The response to selection for fast development in Drosophila melanogaster and its effect on adult weight: an example of a fitness trade-off. Evolution 50: 1193–1204.
- 1984. The relationship between temperature, growth rate, and duration of the planktonic life for larvae of the gastropod Crepidula fornicata (L). J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 74: 241–257.
- 1999. On the advantages and disadvantages of larval stages in benthic marine invertebrate life cycles. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Series 177: 269–297.
- 1996a. Food limitation stimulates metamorphosis of competent larvae and alters postmetamorphic growth rate in the marine gastropod Crepidula fornicata. Mar. Biol. 127: 267–275. , &
- 1996b. The effect of starvation on acquisition of competence and post-metamorphic performance in the marine gastropod Crepidula fornicata (L.). J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 199: 137–152. , &
- 1991. Environmental causes of correlations between age and size at metamorphosis in Scaphiopus multiplicatus. Ecology 72: 2240–2248. , &
- 1988. Pacific oyster culture in British Columbia. Can. Bull. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 218: 1–241.
- 1999. Assessment of female gamete quality in the Pacific oyster. Invertebrate Reprod. Dev. 36: 73–78. , , , , &
- 1991. Genotype–environment interaction for juvenile growth in the hard clam Mercenaria mercenaria (L). Evolution 45: 1924–1935. &
- 1999. Bivalve hatchery technology: the current situation for the Pacific oyster Crassostrea gigas and the scallop Pecten maximus in France. Aquat. Living Resour. 12: 121–130. &
- 1960. The ecological genetics of growth in Drosophila. 1. Body size and developmental time on different diets. Genet. Res. 1: 288–304.
- 1963. The ecological genetics of growth in Drosophila. 6. The genetic correlation between the duration of the larval period and body size in relation to larval diet. Genet. Res. 4: 74–92.
- 1990. Energy metabolism of newly settled Ostrea edulis spat during metamorphosis. Mar. Biol. 106: 109–111. , , , &
- 1991. Temporal analysis of the relationship between settlers and early recruits of the oyster Crassostrea virginica (Gmelin). J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 151: 57–69.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories: Theory and Analysis. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 1982. Antagonistic pleiotropy, dominance, and genetic variation. Heredity 48: 63–78.
- 1991. Size and timing of metamorphosis in complex life cycles: time constraints and variation. Ecology 72: 2240–2248. &
- 1993. Adaptive genetic variation in growth and development of tadpoles of the hybridogenetic Rana esculenta complex. Evolution 47: 1805–1818.
- 1979. Predicting amphibian metamorphosis. Am. Nat. 113: 563–585. &
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2000. Developmental trade-offs and life-histories: strategic allocation of resources in caddis flies. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 1511–1515. , , &
- 1993. Hypotheses on the origins of marine larvae. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 24: 89–117.
- 1989. Heritability of growth in larvae and juveniles of Mytilus edulis. Aquaculture 80: 1–6. &
- 1992. Natural sources and properties of chemical inducers mediating settlement of oyster larvae: a re-examination. Biol. Bull. 183: 327–338. , &
- 1996. Heritability estimates of larval shell length in Chilean blue mussel Mytilus chilensis under different food densities. Aquat. Living Resour. 9: 347–350. &
- 1987. A quantitative genetic analysis of larval life-history traits in Hyla crucifer. Evolution 41: 145–156. , &
- 1998. Laboratory evolution of life-history traits in the bean weevil (Acanthoscelides obtectus): the effects of selection on developmental time in populations with different previous history. Evolution 52: 1713–1725. , , , &
- 1994. Settlement of oysters (Crassostrea virginica) larvae: effects of water flow and a water-soluble chemical cue. Limnol. Oceanogr. 39: 1579–1593. , , , &
- 1984a. The quantitative genetics of polyphagy in an insect herbivore. I. Genotype–environment interaction in larval performance on different host plant species. Evolution 38: 881–895.
- 1984b. The quantitative genetics of polyphagy in an insect herbivore. II. Genetic correlations in larval performance within and among host plants. Evolution 38: 896–905.
- 1986. Amphibian metamorphosis, growth rate, predation risk, and the optimal size at transformation. Am. Nat. 128: 319–341.
- 1984. The onotgenic niche and species interactions in size-structured populations. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 1984: 393–425. &
- 1980. Complex life cycles. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 11: 67–93.
- 1973. Ecological aspects of amphibian metamorphosis. Science 182: 1305–1314. &
- 1994. Reaction norms and the genetic basis of phenotypic plasticity in the wing pattern of the butterfly Bicyclus anynana. J. Evol. Biol. 7: 665–695.
- 1991. The evolution of developmental strategy in marine invertebrates. Trends Evol. Ecol. 6: 45–50. &
- 1995. Artificial selection for developmental time in Drosophila melanogaster in relation to aging: direct and correlated responses. Evolution 49: 635–648. , &