Evolution of RNA virus in spatially structured heterogeneous environments
Version of Record online: 17 APR 2003
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 456–466, May 2003
How to Cite
Cuevas, J. M., Moya, A. and Elena, S. F. (2003), Evolution of RNA virus in spatially structured heterogeneous environments. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 16: 456–466. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00547.x
- Issue online: 17 APR 2003
- Version of Record online: 17 APR 2003
- 1990. Cell Culture for Biochemists. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- 1997. Experimental evolution in Chlamydomonas. I. Short-term selection in uniform and diverse environments. Heredity 78: 490–497.
- 1992. Evolution in heterogeneous environments: effects of migration on habitat specialization. Evol. Ecol. 6: 360–382. &
- 1994. Theoretical Evolutionary Ecology. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA.
- 2000. Kin selection and parasite evolution: higher and lower virulence with hard and soft selection. Q. Rev. Biol. 75: 261–275. , , , &
- 2001. Differential evolution of eastern equine encephalitis virus populations in response to host cell type. Genetics 157: 1403–1412. &
- 2000. Evolutionary reversals during viral adaptation to alternating hosts. Genetics 154: 27–37. , &
- 1998. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 populations in blood and semen. J. Virol. 72: 617–623. , , , , , , &
- 1999. Rate of deleterious mutation and the distribution of its effects on fitness in vesicular stomatitis virus. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 1078–1088. &
- 2001. Genetic drift and within-host metapopulation dynamics of HIV-1 infection. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98: 6975–6980. , , &
- 1988. The evolution of ecological specialization. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 19: 207–233. &
- 1999. Population dynamics of HIV-1 inferred from gene sequences. Genetics 151: 427–438. , &
- 1991. Quantitation of relative fitness and great adaptability of clonal populations of RNA viruses. J. Virol. 65: 2960–2967. , , , &
- 1996. Adaptive evolution in source–sink environments: direct and indirect fitness effects of density-dependence on niche evolution. Oikos 75: 182–192.
- 2002. The experimental evolution of specialists, generalists and the maintenance of diversity. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 173–190.
- 1998. Experimental evolution in Chlamydomonas. IV. Selection in environments that vary through time at different scales. Heredity 80: 732–741. &
- 1994. Accumulation of deleterious mutations and the evolutionary cost of being a generalist. Am. Nat. 144: 833–838.
- 2000. Adaptation to marginal habitats: contrasting influence of the dispersal rate on the fate f alleles with small and large effects. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 1315–1320.
- 2001). Dynamics of the 2001 UK foot and mouth epidemy: stochastic dispersal in a heterogeneous landscape. Science 294: 813–817. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2000. Compensatory mutations, antibiotic resistance and the population genetics of adaptive evolution in bacteria. Genetics 154: 985–997. , &
- 1997. Differences in hepatitis C virus quasispecies composition between liver, peripheral blood mononuclear cells and plasma. J. Gen. Virol. 78: 1521–1525. , , , , , , , , , &
- 1980. Polymorphism in a varied environment: how robust are the models? Genet. Res. 35: 45–57. &
- 1999a. Clonal interference and the evolution of RNA viruses. Science 285: 1745–1747. , , &
- 1999b. Effect of population patchiness and migration rates on the adaptation and divergence of vesicular stomatitis virus quasispecies populations. J. Gen. Virol. 80: 2051–2059. , &
- 2000. Diminishing returns of the population size in the rate of RNA virus adaptation. J. Virol. 74: 3566–3571. , &
- 2001. Multiple infection dynamics has pronounced effects on the fitness of RNA viruses. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 654–662. , , , &
- 1999. Lack of evolutionary stasis during alternating replication of an arbovirus in insect and mammalian cells. J. Mol. Biol. 287: 459–465. , , , &
- 1998. Evolution of envelope sequences from the genital tract and peripheral blood of women infected with clade A human immunodeficiency virus type 1. J. Virol. 72: 8240–5251. , , , , , , , , &
- 2001. Contingent neutrality in competing viral populations. J. Virol. 75: 7315–7320. , , , &
- 1998. Red Queen dynamics, competition, and critical points in a model of RNA virus quasispecies. J. Theor. Biol. 198: 47–59. , , , &
- 2000. Cost of host radiation in an RNA virus. Genetics 156: 1465–1470. &
- 1986. Sequence of the major antibody binding epitopes of the Indiana serotype of vesicular stomatitis virus. Virology 148: 312–325. , &
- 1998. Analysis of the temporal relationship between human immunodeficiency virus type 1 quasispecies in sequential blood samples and various organs obtained at autopsy. J. Virol. 72: 488–496. , , , , &
- 1991. The evolution of generalists and specialists in spatially structured heterogeneous environments. Evolution 45: 1317–1331.
- 1999. Genetic and fitness changes accompanying adaptation of an arbovirus to vertebrate and invertebrate cells. J. Virol. 73: 4316–4326. , , &
- 1997. In vitro compartmentalization of human immunodeficiency virus: evidence from the examination of pol sequences from autopsy tissues. J. Virol. 71: 2059–2071. , , , , &
- 2001. Population biology of multihost pathogens. Science 292: 1109–1112. , &
- 1996. Genetic characterization of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in blood and genital secretions: evidence for viral compartmentalization and selection during sexual transmission. J. Virol. 70: 3098–3107. , , , , , &