Examining costs of induced and constitutive immune investment in Tenebrio molitor
Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2003
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 16, Issue 5, pages 1038–1044, September 2003
How to Cite
Armitage, S. A. O., Thompson, J. J. W., Rolff, J. and Siva-Jothy, M. T. (2003), Examining costs of induced and constitutive immune investment in Tenebrio molitor. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 16: 1038–1044. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00551.x
- Issue online: 13 AUG 2003
- Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2003
- Received 25 September 2002; revised 5 March 2003; accepted 18 March 2003
- 1995. Role of the integument in insect defence: pro-phenol oxidase cascade in the cuticular matrix. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 92: 10698–10702. &
- 2000. Density-dependent prophylaxis in the mealworm beetle Tenebrio molitor L. (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae): cuticular melanization is an indicator of investment in immunity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 177–182. &
- 1999. Three mechanisms of host resistance to microparasites – avoidance, recovery and tolerance – show different dynamics. J. Theor. Biol. 201: 13–23. &
- 1998. Molecular Mechanisms of Immune Responses in Insects. Chapman & Hall, London. & eds
- 1993. Role of the integument in insect immunity: epicuticular abrasion and induction of cecropin synthesis in epithelial cells. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 90: 6275–6279. , , , , , &
- 2000. Resistance to xenobiotics and parasites: can we count the cost? Trends Ecol. Evol. 15: 378–383. , &
- 2001. Is survivorship a better fitness surrogate than fecundity? Evolution 55: 2611–2614.
- 2000. Linking the coevolutionary and population dynamics of host–parasitoid interactions. Popul. Ecol. 42: 195–203. &
- 1998. Trade-off associated with selection for increased ability to resist parasitoid attack in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 265: 1553–1558. , &
- 2001. Clonal variation and covariation in aphid resistance to parasitoids and a pathogen. Evolution 55: 1805–1814. , , &
- 1998. Repeated reversion of resistance to nucleopolyhedrovirus by Anticarsia gemmatalis. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 71: 159–164. &
- 1997. Biological mediators of insect immunity. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 42: 611–643. , &
- 2000. Immunology. W.H. Freeman, New York. , &
- 1993. Variation of larval susceptibility to Lagenidium giganteum in three mosquito species. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 62: 1–8. , , , , &
- 1985. Insect immunity. In: Comprehensive Insect Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology, Vol. 3 (G. A.Kerkut & L. I.Gilbert, eds), pp. 453–485. Pergamon Press, Oxford. &
- 1970. Maturation of the response of male Tenebrio molitor to the female sex pheromone. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 63: 1782.
- 1999. Why inducible defences? In: The Ecology and Evolution of Inducible Defences (R.Tollrian & C. D.Harvell, eds), Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey. &
- 2001. Immune response to parasitism reduces resistance of Drosophila melanogaster to desiccation and starvation. Evolution 55: 2353–2358.
- 1993. Immune reactions in Drosophila and other insects: a model for innate immunity. Trends Genet. 9: 178–183.
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. Am. Nat. 157: 245–261. , , , , , , &
- 1995. Foraging activity and immunocompetence in workers of the bumble bee, (Bombus terrestris L.). Proc. R. Soc. Lon. B 260: 225–227. &
- 1997. Trade-off between parasitoid resistance and larval competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature 389: 278–280. &
- 2001. Basis of the trade-off between parasitoid resistance and larval competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lon. B 268: 259–261. , &
- 2002. Phagocytosis by invertebrate hemocytes: causes of individual variation in Panorpa vulgaris scorpionflies. Microsc. Res. Tech. 57: 456–468.
- 2000. Survival for immunity: the price of immune system activation for bumblebee workers. Science 290: 1166–1168. &
- 1998. Baculovirus resistance in the noctuid Spodoptera exempta is phenotypically plastic and responds to population density. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 265: 1787–1791. , , , &
- 1999. A model for the coevolution of resistance and virulence in coupled host–parasitoid interactions. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 455–463. &
- 1996. Ecological immunity: costly parasite defences and trade-offs in evolutionary ecology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11: 317–321. &
- 2001. Effect of prophenoloxidase expression knockout on the melanization of microfilariae in the mosquito Armigeres subalbatus. Insect Mol. Biol. 10: 315–321. , , , , &
- 1998. Towards a functional understanding of ‘good genes’. Ecol. Lett. 1: 178–185. &
- 1998. Decreased immune response as a proximate cost of copulation and oviposition in a damselfly. Physiol. Entomol. 23: 247–277. , &
- 1995. Biometry. Freeman, New York. &
- 1991. Molecular mechanisms for mammalian melanogenesis: comparison with insect cuticular sclerotisation. FEBS Lett. 293: 4–10.
- 2002. Cuticular colour change after imaginal eclosion is time-constrained: blacker beatles darken faster. Physiol. Entomol. 27: 136–141. , &
- 2001. Competitive ability of parasitised Drosophiila larvae. Evol. Ecol. Res. 3: 747–757. , , &
- 1998. Insect immunity: evolutionary roots of the mammalian innate immune system. Immunol. Lett. 62: 59–66. &
- 1999. Cost of resistance: relationship between reduced fertility and increased resistance in a snail-schistosome host–parasite system. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 391–396. &
- 2001. Melanism and disease resistance in insects. Ecol. Lett. 4: 637–649. , , &