Sexual selection promotes hybridization between Pecos pupfish, Cyprinodon pecosensis and sheepshead minnow, C. variegatus
Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2003
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 16, Issue 4, pages 595–606, July 2003
How to Cite
Rosenfield, J. A. and Kodric-Brown, A. (2003), Sexual selection promotes hybridization between Pecos pupfish, Cyprinodon pecosensis and sheepshead minnow, C. variegatus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 16: 595–606. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00557.x
- Issue online: 18 JUN 2003
- Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2003
- Received 24 November 2002; revised 25 February 2003; accepted 4 March 2003
- 1949. Introgressive Hybridization. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, NY, USA.
- 1994. Sexual Selection. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA.
- 1997. Natural Hybridization and Evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
- 1995. Are natural hybrids fit or unfit relative to their parents? TREE 10: 67–71. &
- 1985. Analysis of hybrid zones. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16: 113–148. &
- 2000. Flying apart: mating behavior and speciation. BioScience 50: 501–508.
- 1988. The influence of male dominance on social interactions in black ducks and mallards. Anim. Behav. 36: 1371–1378. , &
- 1996. Development of the hybrid swarm between Pecos pupfish (Cyprinodontidae: Cyprinodon pecosensis) and sheepshead minnow (Cyprinodon variegatus): a perspective from allozymes and mtDNA. Evolution 50: 2014–2022. , &
- 1940. Speciation as a stage in evolutionary divergence. Am. Nat. 74: 312–321.
- 1989. Rapid geographically extensive genetic introgression after secondary contact between two pupfish species (Cyprinodon, Cyprinodontidae). Evolution 43: 717–727. &
- 1978. The Pecos River Pupfish, Cyprinodon pecosensis n. sp. (Cyprinodontidae), with comments on its evolutionary origin. Copeia 1978: 569–582. &
- 1992. Mode and pattern of speciation in the evolution of inland pupfishes in the Cyprinodonvariegatus complex (Teleostei: Cyprinodontidae): an ancestor-descendant hypothesis. In: Systematics, Historical Ecology, and North American Freshwater Fishes (R.Mayden, ed.), pp. 691–709. Stanford Univ. Press, Palo Alto, CA, USA. &
- 1997. Expanded occurrence of genetically introgressed pupfish (Cyprinodontidae: Cyprinodon pecosensis × variegatus) in New Mexico. Southwestern Naturalist 42: 336–339. , , &
- 2000. Bounded hybrid superiority in an avian hybrid zone: effects of mate, diet, and habitat choice. Evolution 54: 1774–1783. , , &
- 1997. Hybridization, sexual imprinting, and mate choice. Am. Nat. 149: 1–28. &
- 1999. Osmoregulation in the sheepshead minnow, Cyprinodon variegatus: influence of a fluctuating salinity regime. Estuaries 22: 1071–1077.
- 1986. Pattern and process in a narrow hybrid zone. Heredity 56: 337–349.
- 1999. Ecological speciation in sticklebacks: environment-dependent hybrid fitness. Evolution 53: 866–873. &
- 1988. Hybrid zones – natural laboratories for evolutionary studies. TREE 3: 158–167.
- 1986. A zone of overlap and hybridization between two ground cricket species. Evolution 40: 34–43.
- 1955. Hybridization between fish species in nature. Systematic Zoology 4: 1–20.
- 1961. Isolating mechanisms in the speciation of fishes. In: Vertebrate Speciation (W. F.Blair, ed.), pp. 5–23. University of Texas Press, Austin, TX, USA.
- 1977. Interrelationships of dominance and territorial behavior in the pupfish, Cyprinodon variegatus. Behav. Process. 2: 383–391.
- 1978. Female mate choice in the pupfish, Cyprinodon variegatus. Behav. Process. 3: 1–8.
- 1981. The relationships of intrusions and attacks to territory size and quality in the pupfish, Cyprinodon variegatus Lacepede. Biology of Behaviour 6: 273–280.
- 1976. Ethological isolation and phylogeny in the Planitibia subgroup of Hawaiian Drosophila. Evolution 30: 740–745.
- 1977. Reproductive success and the evolution of breeding territories in pupfish (Cyprinodon). Evolution 31: 750–766.
- 1981. Variable breeding systems in pupfishes (genus Cyprinodon): adaptations to changing environments. In: Fishes in North American Deserts (R. J.Naiman & D. L.Soltz, eds), pp. 205–235. John Wiley and Sons, NY, USA.
- 1983. Determinants of male reproductive success in pupfish (Cyprinodon pecosensis). Anim. Behav. 31: 128–137.
- 1988a. Effect of population density, size of habitat and oviposition substrate on the breeding system of pupfish (Cyprinodon pecosensis). Ethology 77: 28–43.
- 1988b. Effects of sex-ratio manipulation on territoriality and spawning success of male pupfish, Cyprinodon pecosensis. Anim. Behav. 36: 1136–1144.
- 1993. Female choice of multiple male criteria in guppies – interacting effects of dominance, coloration, and courtship. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 32: 415–420.
- 1996. Role of male–male competition and female choice in the development of breeding coloration in pupfish (Cyprinodon pecosensis). Behav. Ecol. 7: 431–437.
- 1998. Sexual dichromatism and temporary color changes in the reproduction of fishes. Amer. Zool. 38: 70–81.
- 1992. The breeding system of pupfish, Cyprinodon pecosensis, effects of density and interspecific interactions with killifish, Fundulus zebrinus. Environ. Biol. Fish. 35: 169–176. &
- 1980. Atlas of North American Freshwater Fishes. North Carolina State Museum of Natural History, Raleigh, NC, USA. , , , , &
- 1982. An Experimental Analysis of Pupfish (Teleostei: Cyprinodontidae: Cyprinodon) Reproductive Behavior, PhD dissertation. University of California, Berkeley, USA.
- 2001. Sexual selection on plumage and behavior in an avian hybrid zone: experimental tests of male–male interactions. Evolution 55: 1443–1451. , , &
- 1999. Interspecific recognition and discrimination based upon olfactory cues in Northern Swordtails. Evolution 53: 880–888. &
- 1963. Animal Species and Evolution. Belknap Press, Cambridge, MA, USA.
- 1977. An evaluation of narrow hybrid zones in vertebrates. Quart. Rev. Biol. 52: 263–277.
- 1942. Isolating mechanisms, evolution, and temperature. Biol. Symp. 6: 71–125.
- New Mexico Department of Game and Fish. 1999. Distribution, Status, and Conservation of the Pecos Pupfish. C.W. Hoagstrum and J.E. Brooks,Technical Report #2. Santa Fe, NM, USA.
- 1995. The population genetics of speciation: the evolution of hybrid incompatibilities. Genetics 139: 1805–1813.
- 1985. The recognition species concept. In: Species and speciation (E. S.Vrba, ed.), pp. 21–29. Transvaal Museum Monograph 4, Pretoria.
- 2000. Female spadefoot toads compromise on mate quality to ensure conspecific matings. Behavioral Ecology 11: 220–227.
- 1993. Hybridization and male parental investment in birds. Condor 95: 670–679. &
- 1993. Laboratory experiments on speciation: what have we learned in 40 years? Evolution 47: 1637–1653. &
- 1998. Three hybrid zones between hermit and Townsend's warblers in Washington and Oregon. Auk 115: 284–310. &
- 2000. Molecular evidence of unidirectional hybridization and introgression between pink and chinook salmon of the St. Mary's River, MI. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 129: 670–679. , &
- 1993. Species recognition and sexual selection as a unitary problem in animal communication. Evolution 47: 647–657. &
- 1995. Female responses to ancestral advertisement calls in Túngara frogs. Science 269: 390–392. &
- 1987. Asymmetries in mating preferences between species: female swordtails prefer heterospecific mates. Science 236: 595–597. &
- 1998. Ecological causes of speciation. In: Endless Forms: Species and Speciation (D. J.Howard & S. H.Berlocher, eds.), pp. 114–129. Oxford Univ Press, Oxford.
- 1993. Hybrid zone dynamics are influenced by genotype-specific variation in life-history traits: experimental evidence from hybridizing gambusia species. Evolution 47: 632–646.
- 1995. Processes of origin and criteria for preservation of fish species. In: Evolution and the Aquatic Ecosystem: Defining Unique Units in Population Conservation (J. L.Nielsen, ed.), pp. 45–57. Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 17, Bethesda, MD, USA. , &
- 1974. Variation in Life History and Social Organization of Some Populations of Nevada Pupfish, Cyprinodon nevadensis, PhD thesis, University of California, Los Angeles, USA.
- 1999. Mate recognition systems in a species flock of Mexican pupfish. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 12: 927–935. &
- 2000. Mating preferences in a species flock of Mexican pupfishes (Cyprinodon, Teleostei). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 71: 677–687. &
- 1989. The meaning of species and speciation: a genetic perspective. In: Speciation and its Consequences (D.Otte & J. A.Endler, eds), pp. 3–27. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA, USA.
- 1953. Social Behavior in Animals. Methuen, London, UK.
- 2000. Sexual selection drives rapid divergence in bowerbird display traits. Evolution 54: 273–278. &
- 1999. Sexual selection against hybrids between sympatric stickleback species: evidence from a field experiment. Evolution 53: 874–879. &
- 1988. Species, sets, and the derivative nature of philosophy. Biol. Philos. 3: 49–66.
- 1983. Sexual selection, social competition, and speciation. Quarterly Review of Biology 58: 155–183.