Selective and genetic constraints on the evolution of body size in a stream-dwelling salmonid fish
Article first published online: 18 JUN 2003
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 16, Issue 4, pages 584–594, July 2003
How to Cite
Wilson, A. J., Hutchings, J. A. and Ferguson, M. M. (2003), Selective and genetic constraints on the evolution of body size in a stream-dwelling salmonid fish. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 16: 584–594. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00563.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUN 2003
- Article first published online: 18 JUN 2003
- Received 24 January 2003; accepted 5 March 2003
- 1992. Constraints on phenotypic evolution. Am. Nat. 140: S85–S107.
- 1984. On the measurement of natural and sexual selection: applications. Evolution 38: 720–734. &
- 1980. Charrs: Salmonid Fishes of the Genus Salvelinus. Dr. W. Junk Publishers, The Hague. (ed.)
- 2000. The evolution of body size: what keeps organisms small? Q. Rev. Biol. 75: 385–407.
- 1993. Models in Biology: Mathematics, Statistics and Computing. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester. &
- 1995. Visualizing and quantifying natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10: 313–318. , &
- 1987. A history of scale age and growth studies of North American freshwater fish. In: Age and Growth of Fish (R. C. Summerfelt & G. E.Hall eds), Iowa State University Press.
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. 4th edition, Longman, New York. &
- 1994. Breeding competition in a Pacific salmon (coho: Oncorhynchus kisutch): measures of natural and sexual selection. Evolution 48: 637–657. &
- 2000. Genetic improvement of cold-water fish species. Aquacult. Res. 31: 25–33.
- 2001. Annual variation in size selective mortality of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) fry. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 58: 1187–1195. , , &
- 1994. REML VCE – a multivariate multimodel restricted maximum likelihood (co)variance component estimation package. In: Proceedings of an EC Symposium on Application of Mixed Linear Models in the Prediction of Genetic Merit in Pigs (E.Groeneveld, ed.).
- 1987. Test of genetic differentiation in growth of stunted and nonstunted populations of yellow perch and pumkinseed. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 116: 98–102. &
- 1996. The role of trophic bottlenecks in stunting: a field test of an allocation model of growth and reproduction in yellow perch, Perca flavescens. Env. Biol. Fish. 45: 53–63. &
- 1988. Size-selective overwintering mortality in the sand smelt, Atherina boyeri Risso, and its role in population regulation. J. Fish Biol. 33: 221–233. , &
- 1970. Body-scale relation and calculation of growth in fishes. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 99: 468–474.
- 1969. Overwinter survival of wild fingerling brook trout in Lawrence Creek, Wisconsin. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 26: 1473–1483.
- 1993. Adaptive life histories affected by age-specific survival and growth rate. Ecology 74: 673–684.
- 1994. Age- and size-specific costs of reproduction within populations of brook trout, Salvelinus fontinalis. Oikos 70: 12–20.
- 1996. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity in brook trout, Salvelinus fontinalis, life histories. Ecoscience 3: 25–32.
- 1995. Variation in body size, fecundity and egg size of sockeye and kokanee salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka, released from hatchery. Sci. Rep. Hokkaido Salm. Hatch. 49: 1–9. , &
- 1996. Size-related factors causing individual variation in seasonal reproductive success of fluvial male Dolly Varden (Salvelinus malma). Ecol. Fresh. Fish 5: 59–67.
- 1978. Natural selection in Pacific salmon [Oncorhynchus nerka (Walb)] by body size. Zh. Obshch. Biol. 39: 194–206. &
- 1969. Differences between two populations of landlocked Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in Newfoundland. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 26: 1585–1596. &
- 1996. Growth and production of perch (Perca fluviatilis L.) responding to biomass removal. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 33: 427–435. &
- 1998. Statistical confidence for likelihood-based paternity inference in natural populations. Molecular Ecology 7: 639–655. , , &
- 1979. Adaptiveness and implications of small size in teleosts. Symp. Zool. Soc. Lond. 44: 263–306.
- 1998. The ontogeny of piscivory and its ecological consequences. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55: 1454–1465. &
- 1998. Effect of female size on fecundity and egg size in white-spotted charr: comparison between sea-run and resident forms. J. Fish Biol. 53: 1140–1142. &
- 1998. A novel method for estimating heritability using molecular markers. Heredity 80: 218–224. , &
- 1992. Genetic parameters of growth and sexual maturity in Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus). Aquaculture 106: 9–19.
- 1989. Size-dependent overwinter mortality of young-of-the-year yellow perch (Perca flavescens): laboratory, in situ enclosure, and field experiments. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 46: 1958–1968. &
- 1980. The brook charr, Salvelinus fontinalis. In: Charrs: Salmonid Fishes of the Genus Salvelinus (E. K.Balon ed.), Dr. W. Junk Publishers, The Hague.
- 1989. Grazing catfish, fishing birds, and attached algae in a Panamanian stream. Env. Biol. Fish. 26: 285–294. , &
- 2001. How closely correlated are molecular and quantitative measures of genetic variation? A meta-analysis. Evolution 55: 1095–1103. &
- 1979. A history of a stunted brook trout population in an Alpine lake: a lifespan of 24 years. Calif. Fish Game 64: 196–215.
- 1996. Marker-based method for inferences about quantitative inheritance in natural populations. Evolution 50: 1062–1073.
- 2000. Marker-inferred relatedness as a tool for detecting heritability in nature. Mol. Ecol. 9: 1195–1204.
- 1996. Inferences about quantitative inheritance based on natural population structure in the yellow monkeyflower, Mimulus guttatus. Evolution 50: 1074–1082. &
- 1984. The evolution of life history parameters in teleosts. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 41: 989–1000.
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer Asssociates Ltd., Sunderland.
- 1998. Phenotypic Evolution: A Reaction-Norm Perspective. Sinauer Associates Inc., Sunderland. &
- 2002. Measuring changes in the direction and magnitude of size-selective mortality in a commercial fish population. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 59: 361–371. , &
- 2001. Accurate partition of individuals into full-sib families from genetic data without parental information. Genetics 158: 1329–1338. , &
- 1997. Size-selective mortality in the juvenile stage of teleost fishes: a review. Bull. Mar. Sci. 60: 1129–1157.
- 2001. Spawning success in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.): a long-term DNA profiling-based study conducted in a natural stream. Mol. Ecol. 10: 1047–1060. , , , &
- 2000. Estimating quantitative genetic parameters using sibships reconstructed from marker data. Genetics 155: 1961–1972. &
- 2002. Sibship reconstruction in hierarchical population structures using Markov chain Monte Carlo techniques. Genet. Res. 79: 227–234. &
- 2002. The use of marker-based relationship information to estimate the heritability of body weight in a natural population: a cautionary tale. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 92–99. , &
- 2000. Estimating variance components in natural populations using inferred relationships. Heredity 84: 427–436. , &
- 1986. Age at first maturity in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Freshwater period influences and conflicts with smolting. In: Salmonid Age at Maturity (D. J.Meerburg ed.), 1986. Canadian Special Publications of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 89.
- 1983. Inheritance of developmental rates in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Aquaculture 33: 119–128. , , &
- 1994. Size-selective predation of sailfin mollies by two species of heron. Oikos 69: 250–258. , &
- 1996. Joint effects of maternal and offspring sizes on clutch mass and fecundity in plants and animals. Ecoscience 3: 173–182. , , , &
- 1999. Ecology and adaptation of stunted growth in fish. Evol. Ecol. 13: 433–453. , &
- 2002. Evolution and determination of pheotype in salmonid fishes: inferences from molecular markers in the absence of pedigree. PhD Thesis, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada.
- 2002. Molecular pedigree analysis in natural populations of fishes: approaches, applications, and practical considerations. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 59: 1696–1707. &
- 2003. Marker-assisted estimation of quantitative genetic parameters in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Genet. Res. Camb. 81: 145–156. , , , &