The evolution of trade-offs: geographic variation in call duration and flight ability in the sand cricket, Gryllus firmus
Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2003
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 16, Issue 4, pages 744–753, July 2003
How to Cite
Roff, D. A., Crnokrak, P. and Fairbairn, D. J. (2003), The evolution of trade-offs: geographic variation in call duration and flight ability in the sand cricket, Gryllus firmus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 16: 744–753. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00570.x
- Issue online: 18 JUN 2003
- Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2003
- Received 7 November 2002; revised 19 December 2002; accepted 31 January 2003
- 1968. Life cycle origins, specialization and related phenomena in crickets. Q. Rev. Biol. 43: 1–41.
- 1993. The energetic costs of calling in the bushcricket, Requena verticalis (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae: Listrosceliinae). J. Exp. Biol. 178: 21–37. , , &
- 1984. Factors affecting calling behaviour in field crickets, Teleogryllus and Gryllus (age, weight and parasites). Behavior 88: 61–75. &
- 1995. Fitness differences associated with calling behaviour in the two wing morphs of male sand crickets, Gryllus firmus. Anim. Behav. 50: 1475–1481. &
- 1998a. The genetic basis of the trade-off between calling and wing morph in males of the cricket, Gryllus firmus. Evolution 52: 1111–1118. &
- 1998b. The contingency of fitness: an analysis of food restriction on the macroptery-reproduction trade-off in Gryllus firmus. Anim. Behav. 56: 433–441. &
- 2000. The trade-off to macroptery in the cricket Gryllus firmus: a path analysis in males. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 396–408. &
- 2002. Trade-offs to flight capability in Gryllus firmus: the influence of whole-organism respiration rate on fitness. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 388–398. &
- 1996. Migration. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1920. The muscular system of Gryllus assimilis Fabr. (=pennsylvanicus Burm.). Ann. Entom. Soc. Am. 23: 16–52.
- 2000. The Biomechanics of Insect Flight. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey.
- 1990. Genetic correlations among traits determining migratory tendency in the sand cricket, Gryllus firmus. Evolution 44: 1787–1795. &
- 1998. Evolutionary Biology. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, Massachusetts.
- 1980. Dispersal polymorphism in insects. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 11: 95–118.
- 1985. Barriers to gene exchange between closely related cricket species. II. Life cycle variation and temporal isolation. Evolution 39: 244–259.
- 1990. Strategies of mate finding in the European field cricket (Gryllus campestris) at different population densities: a field study. Ecol. Ent. 15: 281–291.
- 1953. The intrinsic range and speed of flight of insects. Trans. R. Ent. Soc. Lond. 104: 223–345.
- 1969. Migration and Dispersal of Insects by Flight. Methuen, London.
- 1976. Lability of the flight system: a context for functional adaptation. In: Insect Flight (R. C.Rainey, ed.), Blackwell Science Publisher, Oxford.
- 2001. Migratory costs and the evolution of egg size and number in introduced and indigenous salmon populations. Evolution 55: 1656–1667. , , &
- 2000. A trade-off between flight capability and reproduction in males of a wing-dimorphic insect. Ecology 81: 865–875. , &
- 2000. Comparison of fecundity-length-latitude relationships between nonanadromous (kokanee) and anadromous sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Can. J. Zool. 78: 1791–1805.
- 1993. Differential allocation of resources underlies the dispersal-reproduction trade-off in the wing-dimorphic cricket, Gryllus rubens. Oecologia 93: 121–127. &
- 1968. The significance of litter size. J. Anim. Ecol. 37: 363–367.
- 1994. The functional morphology of singing in the cricket. J. Exp. Biol. 195: 147–167. &
- 1982. Flight muscle development in a hemimetabolous insect. J. Expt. Zool. 220: 49–56. &
- 1984. The evolution of life history parameters in teleosts. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 41: 984–1000.
- 1986. The evolution of wing dimorphism in insects. Evolution 40: 1009–1020.
- 1989. Exaptation and the evolution of dealation in insects. J. Evol. Biol. 2: 109–123.
- 1990. The evolution of flightlessness in insects. Ecol. Monograph. 60: 389–421.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories: Theory and Analysis. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- 1994. Habitat persistence and the evolution of wing dimorphism in insects. Amer. Nat. 144: 772–798.
- 1996. The evolution of threshold traits in animals. Quart. Rev. Biol. 71: 3–35.
- 1997. Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 1999. Predicting correlated responses in natural populations: changes in JHE activity in the Bermuda population of the sand cricket, Gryllus firmus. Heredity 83: 440–450. &
- 2001. The genetic basis of dispersal and migration and its consequences for the evolution of correlated traits. In: Causes, Consequences and Mechanisms of Dispersal at the Individual, Population and Community Level (C.Clobert, J.Nichols, J. D.Danchin & A.Dhondt, eds), Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1999. The evolution of threshold traits: effects of selection on fecundity and correlated response in wing dimorphism in the sand cricket. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 535–546. , , &
- 2002. The evolution of trade-offs: testing predictions on response to selection and environmental variation. Evolution 56: 84–95. , &
- 1993. Simulation of alternative male reproductive behavior: calling and satellite behavior in field crickets. Ecol. Modell. 65: 265–280. &
- 2000. The Analysis of Variance. Birkhauser, Boston. &
- 1974. Selection for optimal life histories: the effects of age structure. Ecology 55: 291–303.
- 1974. The optimal balance between size and number of offspring. Am. Nat. 108: 499–506. &
- 1995. Biometry. W. H. Freeman and Co., San Francisco. &
- 1975. Effect of ecdysome and juvenoid on the development involution of flight muscles in Acheta domestica. J. Insect Physiol. 21: 1–8. , &
- 2001. Does a negative genetic correlation between wing morph and early fecundity imply a functional constraint in Gryllus firmus. J. Evol. Biol. 3: 157–177. , , &
- 1992. The quantitative genetics of sound production in Gryllus firmus. Anim. Behav. 44: 823–832. &
- 1960. Selection for two correlated traits by independent culling levels. J. Genet. 57: 329–338. &
- 1997. Physiology and ecology of dispersal polymorphism in insects. Ann. Rev. Ecol. 42: 1–17. &
- 1997. Flight-muscle polymorphism in the cricket Gryllus firmus: muscle characteristics and their influence on the evolution of flightlessness. Physiol. Zool. 70: 519–529. , &
- 1997. Reproductive Strategies of the Crickets (Orthoptera: Gryllidae). In: Mating Systems in Insects and Arachnids (J. C.Choe & B. J.Crespi, eds), pp. 89–109. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. &