Coevolution between hosts and parasites with partially overlapping geographic ranges
Article first published online: 23 OCT 2003
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 16, Issue 6, pages 1337–1345, November 2003
How to Cite
Nuismer, S. L., Thompson, J. N. and Gomulkiewicz, R. (2003), Coevolution between hosts and parasites with partially overlapping geographic ranges. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 16: 1337–1345. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00609.x
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2003
- Article first published online: 23 OCT 2003
- Received 23 October 2002; revised 28 May 2003; accepted 5 June 2003
- 2000. The evolution of predator–prey interactions: theory and evidence. Ann. Review Ecol. Syst. 31: 79–105.
- 2002. Infection genetics: gene-for-gene versus matching-alleles models and all points in between. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4: 79–90. &
- 1999. The selection mosaic and diversifying coevolution between crossbills and lodgepole pine. American Naturalist 153: S75–S91.
- 2001. The influence of a competitor on the geographic mosaic of coevolution between crossbills and lodgepole pine. Evolution 55: 282–294. , &
- 2001. Models and data on plant–enemy coevolution. Annu. Rev. Genet. 35: 469–499. , &
- 1999. Costs of exploiting poisonous prey: evolutionary trade-offs in a predator–prey arms race. Evolution 53: 626–631. & .
- 2002. The evolutionary response of predators to dangerous prey: hotspots and coldspots in the geographic mosaic of coevolution between garter snakes and newts. Evolution 56: 2067–2082. &
- 1999. Spatial and temporal patterns in coevolving plant and pathogen associations. American Naturalist 153: S15–S33. &
- 2000. Interspecific competition, environmental gradients, gene flow, and the coevolution of species’ borders. American Naturalist 155: 583–605. &
- 1999. Coevolution of a plant host-pathogen gene-for-gene system in a metapopulation model without cost of resistance or cost of virulence. J. Theor. Biol. 201: 1–12.
- 1997. Genetic variation and the persistence of predator–prey interactions in the Nicholson–Bailey model. J. Theor. Biol. 188: 109–120.
- 1998. Local adaptation and host–parasite interactions. Trends in Ecol. Evol. 13: 214–216.
- 2002. Local adaptation and the geometry of host–parasite coevolution. Ecol. Lett. 5: 246–256.
- 2002. Local adaptation, evolutionary potential and host–parasite coevolution: interactions between migration, mutation, population size and generation time. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 451–462. &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B – Biol. Sci. 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 1997. Genetic models of adaptation and gene flow in peripheral populations. Evolution 51: 21–28. &
- 1997. Coevolutionary chase in exploiter–victim systems with polygenic characters. J. Theor. Biol. 186: 527–534.
- 1998. Coevolutionary chase in two-species systems with applications to mimicry. J. Theor. Biol. 191: 415–427. &
- 2000. Hot spots, cold spots, and the geographic mosaic theory of coevolution. American Naturalist 156: 156–174. , , , &
- 1998. Antagonistic coevolution over productivity gradients. American Naturalist 152: 620–634. &
- 2000. Weak sinks could cradle mutualistic symbioses – strong sources should harbour parasitic symbioses. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 213–222. , , &
- 1997. How does immigration influence local adaptation? A reexamination of a familiar paradigm. American Naturalist 149: 563–572. &
- 1999. Local maladaptation in the anther-smut fungus Microbotryum violaceum to its host plant Silene latifolia: evidence from a cross-inoculation experiment. Evolution 53: 395–407. , , &
- 1997. Evolution of a species range. American Naturalist 150: 1–23. &
- 1999. Geographical patterns in the evolution of resistance and virulence in Drosophila and its parasitoids. American Naturalist 153: S61–S74. &
- 2000. Spatial variation in susceptibility to infection in a snail-trematode interaction. Parasitology 121: 395–401. , , &
- 2001. Temporal patterns of genetic variation for resistance and infectivity in a Daphnia-microparasite system. Evolution 55: 1146–1152. &
- 1999. The geographic mosaic of host–parasite coevolution: simulation models and evidence from a snail-trematode interaction. American Naturalist 153S: S34–S47.
- 1996. Clinal variation for local adaptation in a host–parasite interaction. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B – Biol. Sci. 263: 891–897. &
- 1996. Parasite–host coevolution and geographic patterns of parasite infectivity and host susceptibility. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263: 119–128. , &
- 1975. Conditions for the existence of clines. Genetics 80: 595–615.
- 2003. Gene flow and the coevolution of parasite range. Evolution 57: 746–754. & .
- 1999. Gene flow and geographically structured coevolution. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 605–609. , &
- 2000. Coevolutionary clines across selection mosaics. Evolution 54: 1102–1115. , &
- 2000. Evolution of resistance against powdery mildew in winter wheat populations conducted under dynamic management. II. Adult plant resistance. Theor. Appl. Genet. 101: 457–462. , , , , , &
- 2002. Diversifying coevolution between crossbills and black spruce on Newfoundland. Evolution 56: 1663–1672. &
- 1999. Mutualism in metapopulations of legumes and rhizobia. American Naturalist 153: S48–S60.
- 1999. The red queen and fluctuating epistasis: a population genetic analysis of antagonistic coevolution. American Naturalist 154: 393–405. &
- 1996. Theory of Population Genetics and Evolutionary Ecology. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA.
- 1995. Natural-selection of hemizygotes and heterozygotes for G6pd deficiency in Africa by resistance to severe malaria. Nature 376: 246–249. , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2000. Host–parasite coevolution in a multilocus gene-for-gene system. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B – Biol. Sci. 267: 2183–2188.
- 1988. Dynamics of some simple host–parasite models with more than two genotypes in each species. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 319: 541–555.
- 1973. Gene flow and selection in a cline. Genetics 75: 733–756.
- 1999. Genetic and geographic variation in rejection behavior of cuckoo eggs by European magpie populations: an experimental test of rejecter-gene flow. Evolution 53: 947–956. , , &
- 1998. Gene flow and ineffective antipredator behavior in a stream-breeding salamander. Evolution 52: 558–565. &
- 2001. Coevolutionary interactions between a haploid species and a diploid species. J. Math. Biol. 42: 175–194. &
- 1994. The Coevolutionary Process. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2002. Geographic structure and dynamics of coevolutionary selection. Nature 417: 735–738. &
- 2002. Coevolution and maladaptation. Integrative and Comparative Biology 42: 381–387. , &
- 1999. The spatial scale of pathogen dispersal: consequences for disease dynamics and persistence. Evol. Ecol. Res. 1: 681–701. &
- 2002. Evolution of gene-for-gene systems in metapopulations: the effect of spatial scale of host and pathogen dispersal. Plant Pathology 51: 169–184. &
- 2002. Local adaptation in the Linum marginale–Melampsora lini host–pathogen interaction. Evolution 56: 1340–1351. , &
- 1999. Cost of resistance: relationship between reduced fertility and increased resistance in a snail-schistosome host–parasite system. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 391–396. &