Costs of resistance: genetic correlations and potential trade-offs in an insect immune System
Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2003
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 421–429, March 2004
How to Cite
Cotter, S. C., Kruuk, L. E. B. and Wilson, K. (2004), Costs of resistance: genetic correlations and potential trade-offs in an insect immune System. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 17: 421–429. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00655.x
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2003
- Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2003
- Received: 14 June 2003; revised: 23 September 2003; accepted: 25 September 2003
- 2000. Density-dependent prophylaxis in the mealworm beetle Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae): cuticular melanization is an indicator of investment in immunity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B. 267: 177–182. &
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate – a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. Roy. Stat. Soc. Ser. B. 57: 289–300. &
- 1993. Trade-offs with resistance to a granulosis virus in the Indian meal moth, examined by a laboratory evolution experiment. Funct. Ecol. 7: 528–534. &
- 2001. Positive genetic correlation between parasite resistance and body size in a free-living ungulate population. Evolution 55: 2116–2125. , , , &
- 2002. Trade-offs in insect disease resistance. PhD thesis, University of Stirling, Scotland.
- 2002. Heritability of immune function in the caterpillar Spodoptera littoralis. Heredity 88: 229–234. &
- 2003. Density-dependent prophylaxis and condition-dependent immune function in Lepidopteran larvae: a multivariate approach. J. Anim. Ecol. (in press). , , &
- 1996. Variation in Drosophila concentration of hemocytes associated with different ability to encapsulate Asobara tabida larval parasitoid. J. Insect Physiol. 42: 549–555. &
- 1998. Trade-offs associated with selection for increased ability to resist parasitoid attack in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 265: 1553–1558. , &
- 1988. The relationship between population density, juvenile hormone, juvenile hormone esterase and phase variation in larvae of the migrant insect, Anticarsia gemmatalis Hubner. J. Insect Physiol. 34: 29–35. &
- 1995. Hormones and the physiological architecture of life-history evolution. Q. Rev. Biol. 70: 1–52. &
- 1989. Reversion of resistance by Spodoptera frugiperda to nuclear polyhedrosis virus. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 53: 52–56. &
- 1999. Effect of genetic selection and MHC haplotypes on lymphocyte proliferation and interleukin-2 like activity in chicken lines selected for high and low antibody production against sheep red blood cells. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 68: 13–24. , , , &
- 2000. Induction of T helper 1- and T helper 2-type immune responses during Haemonchus contortus infection in sheep. Immunology 99: 458–463. , , &
- 1997. Biological mediators of insect immunity. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 42: 611–643. , &
- 1997. Th2-mediated host protective immunity to intestinal nematode infections. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B – Biol. Sci. 352: 1377–1384.
- 1990. A generalized computing procedure for setting up and solving mixed linear models. J. Dairy Sci. 73: 513–531. &
- 1994. Fitness costs of resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis in the diamondback moth. Evolution 48: 197–201. , , &
- 1980. Production and persistence of antibodies in chickens to sheep erythrocytes: II. Resistance to infectious diseases. Poultry Sci. 59: 205–210. , , , &
- 1994. Induction of the prophenoloxidase-activating system of Simulium (Diptera: Simuliidae) following Onchocerca (Nematoda: Filarioidea) infection. Parasitology 109: 649–655. , &
- 1982. Heritable true fitness and bright birds: a role for parasites? Science 218: 384–387. &
- 1970. Effects of crowding on colour, size and larval activity of Spodoptera littoralis (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Entomol. Exp. Appl. 13: 97–106.
- 2001. Sex and death: microevolutionary trade-offs between reproductive and immune investment in dung flies. Curr. Biol. 11: R379–R380.
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130: 195–204.
- 1999. Heritability and stability of resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis in Ostrinia nubilalis (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Bull. Ent. Res. 89: 449–454. , &
- 1999. Low antibody responsiveness is found to be associated with resistance to chemical skin tumorigenesis in several lines of Biozzi mice. Cancer Lett. 136: 153–158. , , , , , , &
- 1983. The role of juvenile hormone in the density-related colour variation in larvae of Cephonodes hylas L (Lepidoptera: Sphingidae). Appl. Entomol. Zool. 18: 57–61.
- 1999. Parasites and trade-offs in the immune response of female red jungle fowl. Oikos 86: 487–492. &
- 1997. Trade-off between parasitoid resistance and larval competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature 389: 278–280. &
- 2000. Heritability of fitness in a wild mammal population. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 97: 698–703. , , , , &
- 1990. Relationship of larval phase and susceptibility of the armyworm, Pseudaletia separata Walker (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) to a nuclear polyhedrosis virus and a granulosis virus. Appl. Entomol. Zool. 25: 289–297. &
- 1999. The immunocompetence handicap hypothesis: testing the genetic predictions. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 266: 2515–2522. &
- 2000. Gender differences and individual variation in the immune system of the scorpionfly Panorpa vulgaris (Insecta: Mecoptera). Dev. Comp. Immunol. 24, 1–12. , , &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. &
- 2000. Lifetime reproductive success and heritability in nature. Am. Nat. 155: 301–310. &
- 2001. Immune defence in bumblebee offspring. Nature 414: 506–506. &
- 2003. Adaptive innate immunity? Responsive-mode prophylaxis in the mealworm beetle, Tenebrio molitor. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B. 270: 2475–2480. &
- 1987. Natural selection and the heritability of fitness components. Heredity 59: 181–197. &
- 2000. Ecological immunology: life history trade-offs and immune defence in birds. Behav. Ecol. 11: 19–26. &
- 1999. Immunocompetence: a neglected life history trait or conspicuous red herring? Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 170–172. &
- 1991. Locust phase polymorphism and its endocrine relations. Adv. Insect Physiol. 23: 1–79.
- 2003. Courtship song and immune function in the field cricket Gryllus bimaculatus. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 79: 503–510 &
- 1998. Baculovirus resistance in the noctuid Spodoptera exempta is phenotypically plastic and responds to population density. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 265: 1787–1791. , , , &
- 1998. Immunology, 5th edn. Mosby, London. , &
- 2002. Copulation corrupts immunity: a mechanism for a cost of mating in insects. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 99: 9916–9918. &
- 1990. Possible involvement of the prophenoloxidase system of the locust, Locusta migratoria, in antimicrobial activity. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 56: 31–38. , &
- 2001. Quantitative genetics of immune function and body size in the house cricket, Acheta domesticus. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 646–653. &
- 1980. Production and persistence of antibodies in chickens to sheep erythrocytes. 1. Directional selection. Poultry Sci. 59: 1–5. &
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford, England.
- 2000. Density-dependent aposematism in the desert locust. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 267: 63–68.
- 1998. Insect immunity: evolutionary roots of the mammalian innate immune system. Immunol. Lett. 62: 59–66. &
- 1999. Cost of resistance: relationship between reduced fertility and increased resistance in a snail-schistosome host-parasite system. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 266: 391–396. &
- 2000. How the locust got its stripes: the evolution of density-dependent aposematism. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15: 88–90.
- 1998. Density-dependent prophylaxis: evidence from Lepidoptera-baculovirus interactions? Ecol. Entomol. 23: 100–101. &
- 2001. Melanism and disease resistance in insects. Ecol. Lett. 4: 637–649. , , &
- 2002. Coping with crowds: density-dependent disease resistance in desert locusts. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 99: 5471–5475. , , , , &
- 1976. The role of juvenile hormone in larval duration and spermiogenesis in relation to phase variation in the tobacco cutworm, Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Appl. Entomol. Zool. 11: 133–138. &