Molecular, morphological and behavioural data reveal the presence of a cryptic species in the widely studied Drosophila serrata species complex
Article first published online: 20 JAN 2004
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 430–442, March 2004
How to Cite
Schiffer, M., Carew, M. E. and Hoffmann, A. A. (2004), Molecular, morphological and behavioural data reveal the presence of a cryptic species in the widely studied Drosophila serrata species complex. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 17: 430–442. doi: 10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00657.x
- Issue published online: 20 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 20 JAN 2004
- Received 4 August 2003; revised 18 September 2003; accepted 18 September 2003
- 1965a. Sibling species of the Drosophila serrata group. Evolution 19: 538–545.
- 1965b. Drosophila dominicana, a new sibling species of the serrata group. Pacific Insects 7: 620–622.
- 1965c. Relative fitness of populations of Drosophila serrata and Drosophila birchii. Genetics 51: 527–544.
- 1966. Reversal of dominance in competing species of Drosophila. Am. Nat. 100: 81–83.
- 1998. Correlations between measures of heat resistance and acclimation in two species of Drosophila and their hybrids. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 64: 449–462. &
- 1963. Relative fitness of geographic races of Drosophila serrata. Evolution 17: 72–83. , , &
- 1993. The genetics of central and marginal populations of Drosophila serrata. II. Hybrid breakdown in fitness components as a correlated response to selection for desiccation resistance. Evolution 47: 1271–1285.
- 1998. Evolution of a mate recognition system after hybridization between two Drosophila species. Am. Nat. 151: 538–544.
- 1998. Levels of mate recognition within and between two Drosophila species and their hybrids. Am. Nat. 152: 826–837. &
- 2002. Evolutionary experiments on mate recognition in the Drosophila serrata species complex. Genetica 116: 239–250. &
- 1976. Drosophilidae of Australia I. Drosophila (Insecta: Diptera). Aust. J. of Zool. Suppl. Ser. 40: 1–105.
- 1977. Notes on the Drosophilidae (Diptera) of Townsville, Queensland, including four new Australian species records. J. Aust. Entomol. Soc. 16: 267–272.
- 1982. Drosophilidae of Australia. V. Remaining genera and synopsis (Insecta: Diptera). Aust. J. Zool. Suppl. Ser. 89: 1–164.
- 1972. The Drosophila melanogaster Species Group. In: Studies in Genetics VII (M.R. Wheeler, ed.), pp. 1–102. The University of Texas Publication No 7213, Texas. &
- 1997. Behavior of Wolbachia endosymbionts from Drosophila simulans in Drosophila serrata, a novel host. Am. Nat. 149: 975–988. &
- 1961. The evolutionary status of Drosophila serrata. Evolution 15: 461–467. &
- 2002. Clinal variation in Drosophila serrata for stress resistance and body size. Genet. Res. 79: 141–148. , &
- 1999. Desiccation resistance in interspecific Drosophila crosses: genetic interactions and trait correlations. Genetics 151: 1493–1502. &
- 2000. Natural selection and the reinforcement of mate recognition. Science 290: 519–521. , &
- 1991. Acclimation for desiccation resistance in Drosophila: species and population comparisons. J. Insect. Physiol. 37: 757–762.
- 2002. Geographic variation for wing shape in Drosophila serrata. Evolution 56: 1068–1073. &
- 1997. Cytoplasmic incompatibility in insects. In: Influential Passengers – Inherited Microorganisms and Arthropod Reproduction (S. L.O'Neill, A. A.Hoffmann & J. H.Werren, eds), pp. 3–80. Oxfrod University Press, New York. &
- 2000. Variation in morphological traits and trait asymmetry in field Drosophila serrata from marginal populations. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 113–130. &
- 1994. Mitochondrial DNA phylogeography of birds in eastern Australian rainforests: first fragments. Aust. J. Zool. 42: 385–403. &
- 1999. Comparative phylogeography of a sibling pair of rainforest Drosophila species (Drosophila serrata and D. birchii). Evolution 53: 1306–1311. &
- 1998. Geometric morphometrics of developmental instability: analyzing patterns of fluctuating asymmetry with Procrustes methods. Evolution 52: 1363–1375. &
- 2002. Shape analysis of symmetric structures: quantifying variation among individuals and asymmetry. Evolution 56: 1909–1920. , &
- 2001. Larval hosts of Australian Drosophilidae (Diptera): a field survey in subtropical and tropical Australia. Aust. J. Entomol. 40: 163–179. &
- 2002. Drosophilidae (Diptera) of Australia's Northern Territory: ecology and biogeography. Aust. J. Entomol. 41: 236–242. , &
- 1993. Drosophilidae (Diptera) of Northern Cape York Peninsula. In: Cape York Peninsula Scientific Expedition, Wet Season 1992. pp. 155–168. The Royal Geographic Society of Queensland Inc., Fortitude Valley, Brisbane.
- 2002. Shifting clinal patterns and microsatellite variation in Drosophila serrata populations: a comparison of populations near the southern border of the species range. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 763–774. , &
- 1927. Notes on Australian Diptera No. X. Proc. Linn. Soc. New South Wales 52: 1–16.
- 1955. The genus Drosophila (Diptera) in eastern Queensland. I. Taxonomy. Aust. J. Zool. 3: 545–582.
- 1968. The genus Drosophila in New Guinea and Sabah. Univ. Qld. Pap., Dep. Zool. 3: 47–50.
- 1993. Mitochondrial DNA evolution in the montium-species subgroup of Drosophila. Mol. Biol. Evol. 10: 375–382. &
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): a population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86: 248–249. &
- 1983. Mating behavior and sexual isolation in Drosophila. In: The Genetics and Biology of Drosophila, Vol. 3C. (M.Ashburner, H. L.Carson & J. N.Thompson, eds), pp. 223–284. Academic Press, London. &
- 1994. Clustal W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22: 4673–4680. , &