Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Nishimachi 86, Yonago, Tottori, Japan, 683.
Characterization and isolation of melanocyte progenitors from mouse embryos
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2003
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 87–97, February 1996
How to Cite
Kunisada, T., Yoshida, H., Ogawa, M., Shultz, L. D. and Nishikawa, S.-i. (1996), Characterization and isolation of melanocyte progenitors from mouse embryos. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 38: 87–97. doi: 10.1046/j.1440-169X.1996.00011.x
- Issue published online: 27 OCT 2003
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2003
- Received 4 September 1995; accepted 12 October 1995.
- 1994. Interaction of endothelin-3 with endothelin-B receptor is essential for development of epidermal melanocytes and enteric neurons. Cell 79, 1277–1285. , , , et al.
- 1993. Segregation of cell lineage in the neural crest. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 3, 641–647.
- 1993. The kit-ligand (steel factor) and its receptor c-kit/W: Pleiotropic roles in gametogenesis and melanogenesis. Development 119 (Suppl. 1), 125–137. , , , et al.
- 1991. Steel-Dickie mutation encodes a c-kit ligand lacking transmembrane and cytoplasmic domains. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 88, 4671–4674. , , , et al.
- 1993. Retinoic acid promotes the differentiation of adrenergic cells and melanocytes in quail neural crest cultures. Dev. Biol. 168, 529–548. , &
- 1993. The role of cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions in the morphogenesis of the neural crest. Dev. Biol. 159, 60–74. , &
- 1991. Transmembrane form of the kit ligand growth factor is determined by alternative splicing and is missing in the Sld mutant. Cell 64, 1025–1035. , , &
- 1993. From white spot to stem cells: The role of the Kit receptor in mammalian development. Trends Genet. 9, 285–290.
- 1993. The kit ligand, Stem cell factor. Adv. Immunol. 55, 1–96. , , &
- 1992. Control of melanocyte proliferation and differentiation in the mouse epidermis. Pigment Cell Res. 5, 1–11.
- 1993. Mutations at the mouse microphthalmia locus are associated with defects in a gene encoding a novel basic-helix-loop-helix-zipper protein. Cell 74, 395–404. , , , et al.
- 1991a. Migration and proliferation of cultured neural crest cells in W mutant neural crest chimeras. Development 112, 131–141. , , &
- 1991b. Generation of pigmented stripes in albino mice by retroviral marking of neural crest melano-blasts. Development 113, 653–660. , , , , , &
- 1993. In vitro clonal analysis of mouse neural crest development. Dev. Biol. 157, 517–525. , , &
- 1984. The differentiation in vitro of the neural crest cells of the mouse embryo. J. Embryol. Exp. Morph. 84, 49–62. , &
- 1994. Molecular and developmental genetics of mouse coat color. Annu. Rev. Genet. 28, 189–217.
- 1992. A second tyrosinase-related protein, TRP-2, maps to and is mutated at the mouse slaty locus. EMBO J. 11, 527–535. , , , et al.
- 1992. The Atlas of Mouse Development. Academic Press, San Diego .
- 1992. Avian neural crest cells express a melanogenic trait during early migration from the neural tube: Observations with the new monoclonal antibody, ‘MEBL-1’. Development 114, 367–378. , , , , &
- 1982. The Neural Crest. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge .
- 1993. Patterning of neural crest derivatives in the avian embryo: In vivo and in vitro studies. Dev. Biol. 159, 24–49. , , &
- 1979. Xenogenic monoclonal antibodies to mouse lymphoid differentiation antigens. Immunol. Rev. 47, 63–90. , &
- 1991. Expression of c-kit encoded at the W locus of mice in developing embryonic germ cells and presumptive melanoblasts. Dev. Biol. 146, 312–324. , &
- 1992. Derivation of pluripotential embryonic stem cells from murine primordial germ cells in culture. Cell 70, 841–847. , , &
- 1973. The migratory pathway of neural crest cells into the skin of mouse embryos. Dev. Biol. 34, 39–46.
- 1968. An experimental analysis of the pigment defect caused by mutations at the W and Sl loci in mice. Dev. Biol. 18, 62–75. , &
- 1991. In utero manipulation of coat color formation by a monoclonal anti-c-kit antibody: Two distinct waves of c-kit-dependency during melanocyte development. EMBO J. 10, 2111–2118. , , , et al.
- 1991. Expression and function of c-kit in hemopoietic progenitor cells. J. Exp. Med. 174, 63–71. , , , et al.
- 1993. Expression and function of c-Kit in fetal hemopoietic progenitor cells: Transition from the early c-Kit-independent to the late c-Kit-dependent wave of hemopoiesis in the murine embryo. Development 117, 1089–1098. , , , et al.
- 1994. Piebald lethal (sl) acts early to disrupt the development of neural crest-derived melanocytes. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 91, 7159–7163. , &
- 1995. Steel factor regulates melanocyte development through selective survival and proliferation of c-kit+ progenitors. Dev. Biol. 169, 568–579. , , , &
- 1991. Molecular biology of the W and Steel loci. Genome Analysis 3, 105–133. , &
- 1979. The Coat Colors of Mice: A Model for Mammalian Gene Action and Interaction. Springer-Verlag Inc., New York .
- 1992. TRP-2/DT, a new early melanoblast marker, shows that steel growth factor (c-kit ligand) is a survival factor. Development 115, 1111–1119. , , &
- 1993. Lineage diversification of the neural crest: In vitro investigations. Dev. Biol. 159, 12–23. , &
- 1993. The timing of appearance and pathway of migration of cranial neural crest-derived precursors of melanocytes in chick embryos. Develop. Growth Differ. 35, 173–179. , &
- 1992. A second tyrosinase-related protein, TRP-2, is a melanogenic enzyme termed DOPAchrome tautomerase. EMBO J. 11, 519–526. , , , , &
- 1995. Soluble and cell-bound forms of steel factor activity play distinct roles in melanocyte precursor dispersal and survival on the lateral neural crest migration pathway. Development 121, 731–742. , &
- 1986. Phenotypic diversification in neural crest-derived cells: The time and stability of commitment during early development. Curr. Top. Dev. Biol. 20, 195–210.
- 1993. Restricted expression of the hyaluronan receptor, CD44, during post-implantation mouse embryogenesis suggests key roles in tissue formation and patterning. Development 119, 295–306. , , &
- 1992. The steel factor. Dev. Biol. 151, 368–376. , , , , &
- 1993. The role of c-kit proto-oncogene during melanocyte development in mouse. In vivo approach by the in utero microinjection of anti-c-kit antibody. Develop. Growth Differ. 35, 209–220. , , , , &