Role of integrins in differentiation of chick retinal pigmented epithelial cells in vitro
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2003
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 38, Issue 4, pages 429–437, August 1996
How to Cite
Mazaki, Y., Mochii, M., Kodama, R. and Eguchi, G. (1996), Role of integrins in differentiation of chick retinal pigmented epithelial cells in vitro. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 38: 429–437. doi: 10.1046/j.1440-169X.1996.t01-3-00011.x
- Issue published online: 27 OCT 2003
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2003
- Received 25 March 1996, accepted 1 May 1996.
- 1990. Changes in keratinocyte adhesion during terminal differentiation: Reduction in fibronectin binding precedes alpha 5 beta 1 integrin loss from the cell surface. Cell 63, 425–435. , &
- 1993. Genetic characterization of the multipotent dedifferentiated state of pigmented epithelial cells in vitro. Development 118, 1025–1030. , , , , , &
- 1984. Gene coding for a lens-specific protein, δ-crystallin, is transcribed in nonlens tissues of chicken embryo. Dev. Biol. 100, 222–226. , , &
- 1983. Complexity of expression of antigenic determinants, recognized by monoclonal antibodies HMFG-1 and HMFG-2, in normal and malignant human mammary epithelial cells. J. Immunol. 131, 508–513. , , &
- 1991. Identification of 2A10 antigen of retinal pigment epithelium as a β1 subunit of integrin. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 32, 1757–1762. , &
- 1995. Integrins and signal transduction pathways: The road taken. Science 268, 233–239. , &
- 1965. Regeneration of neural retina from the pigmented epithelium in the chick embryo. Dev. Biol. 12, 79–92. , &
- 1985. Location and possible function of fibronectin and laminin in clones of chick retinal pigmented epithelial cells in vitro. Development 21, 79–87. , &
- 1979. ‘Transdifferentiation’ in pigmented epithelial cells of vertebrate eye in vitro. In Mechanisms of Cell Change (Eds J. D.Ebert, & T. S.Okada), pp. 273–291. John Wiley and Sons, New York .
- 1986. Instability in cell commitment of vertebrate pigment cells and their transdifferentiation into lens cells. Curr. Top. Dev. Biol. 20, 21–37.
- 1993. Lens transdifferentiation in the vertebrate retinal pigmented epithelial cell. In Progress in Retinal Research, vol. 12 (Eds N. N.Osborne, and J.Chader), pp. 205–230, Pergamon Press, Oxford .
- 1993. Transdifferentiation. Curr. Opin. Cell. Biol. 5, 1023–1028. , &
- 1973. Differentiation of lens tissue from the progeny of chicken retinal pigment cell culture in vitro: A demonstration of a switch of cell types in clonal cell culture. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 70, 1495–1499. , &
- 1991. Novel integrin α and β subunit cDNA identified in airway epithelial cells and lung leukocytes using the polymerase chain reaction. Am. J. Resp. Cell Mol. Biol. 5, 170–177. , , , , &
- 1995. Consequences of lack of beta 1 integrin gene expression in mice. Genes Dev. 9, 1896–1908. , &
- 1983. A technique for radiolabeling DNA restriction endonuclease fragments to high specific activity. Anal. Biochem. 132, 6–13. , &
- 1992. Regulation of focal adhesion-associated protein tyrosine kinase by both cellular adhesion and oncogenic transformation. Nature 358, 690–692. , &
- 1986. Phosphorylation of the fibronectin receptor complex in cells transformed by oncogenes that encode tyrosine kinases. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 83, 6470–6474. , , , &
- 1992. Integrin: Versatility, modulation, and signaling in cell adhesion. Cell 69, 11–25.
- 1993. Basic fibroblast growth factor as one of the essential factors regulating lens transdifferentiation of pigmented epithelial cells. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 37, 319–326. , , &
- 1986a. Enhancement of expression of lens phenotype in cultures of pigmented epithelial cells by hyaluronidase in the presence of phenylthiourea. Cell Differ. 18, 173–182. , &
- 1986b. In vitro analysis of cellular metaplasia from pigmented epithelial cells to lens phenotype. A unique model system for studying cellular and molecular mechanisms of ‘transdifferentiation’. Dev. Biol. 115, 353–362. , &
- 1993. Basic fibroblast growth factor promotes adhesive interactions of neuroepithelial cells from chick neural tube with extracellular matrix proteins in culture. Development 119, 943–956. , , , &
- 1994. The loss of gap junctional cell-to-cell communication is coupled with dedifferentiation of retinal pigmented epithelial cells in the course of transdifferentiation into the lens. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 38, 357–364. , &
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227, 680–685.
- 1982. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York . , , &
- 1991. Complete sequence and expression of a cDNA encoding a chicken 115 kDa melanosomal matrix protein. Pigment Cell Res. 4, 41–47. , , &
- 1988. Expression of gene coding for a melanosomal matrix protein transcriptionally regulated in the transdifferentiation of chick embryo pigmented epithelial cells. Cell Differ. 24, 67–74. , , , , &
- 1991. Retinal pigmented epithelial cells transdifferentiate into lens. In Transdifferentiation: Flexibility in cell differentiation, pp. 118–125. Clarendon Press, Oxford .
- 1989. Basic fibroblast growth factor induces retinal regeneration in vivo. Dev. Biol. 134, 201–205. , &
- 1987. Polarized distribution of integrin and fibronectin in retinal pigment epithelium. Invest. Opthalmol. Vis. Sci. 28, 1275–1280. , &
- 1987. Retinal pigmented epithelial cells induced to transdifferentiate to neurons by laminin. Nature 330, 68–71. , , &
- 1994. Integrin-mediated signal transduction linked to Ras pathway by GRB2 binding to focal adhesion kinase. Nature 372, 786–791. , , , &
- 1995. Deletion of beta 1 integrins in mice results in inner cell mass failure and peri-implantation lethality. Genes Dev. 9, 1883–1895. , , , et al.
- 1980. Hybridization of denatured RNA and small DNA fragment transferred to nitrocellulose. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 77, 5201–5205.
- 1979. Electrophoretic transfer of protein from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheet: Procedure and some applications. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 76, 4350–4354. , , &
- 1984. Change in the distribution of laminin, fibronectin, type IV collagen and heparan sulfate proteoglycan during colony formation by chick retinal pigment epithelial cells in vitro. Collagen Rel. Res. 4, 413–426. , , , &
- 1993. Embryonic mesodermal defects in alpha 5 integrin-deficient mice. Development 119, 1093–1105. , , &
- 1995. Cell adhesion events mediated by alpha 4 integrins are essential in placental and cardiac development. Development 121, 549–560. , , &
- 1979. Transdifferentiation of ‘lentioid’ structures in cultures derived from pigment epithelium was inhibited by collagen. Dev. Biol. 68, 374–378.