Identification of sperm plasma membrane proteins exhibiting binding affinity for the ascidian egg coat
Version of Record online: 27 OCT 2003
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 39, Issue 5, pages 551–561, October 1997
How to Cite
Bossi, T. and Honegger, T. G. (1997), Identification of sperm plasma membrane proteins exhibiting binding affinity for the ascidian egg coat. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 39: 551–561. doi: 10.1046/j.1440-169X.1997.t01-4-00002.x
- Issue online: 27 OCT 2003
- Version of Record online: 27 OCT 2003
- Received 12 March 1997: revised 6 May 1997; accepted 7 May 1997.
- 1997. Fertilization in ascidians: lsolation and characterization of sperm membrane surface proteins with species-specific binding affinity for the egg coat of Phallusia mammillata. PhD thesis, University of Zürich (unpubl.).
- 1987. Plasma membrane glycoproteins of Ciona intestinalis spermatozoa that interact with the egg. Develop. Growth Differ. 302, 147–158. , , &
- 1951. A microspectrophotometric method for the determination of cytochrome oxidase. J. Biol. Chem. 189, 665–670. , &
- 1983. Isolation and electrophoretic characterization of the plasma membrane of seaurchin sperm. J. Cell Sci. 59, 13–25.
- 1991. Gamete self-discrimination in ascidians: A role for the follicle cells. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 29, 47–50.
- 1994. Ultrastrukturelle Untersuchung der Eihülle von Phallusia mammillata, Ascidia mentula und Ciona intestinalis (Ascidiacea, Urochordata). Diploma thesis, Department of Zoology, University of Zürich, Zürich.
- 1997. Ultrastructure of the vitelline coat in the ascidians Phallusia mammillata, Ascidia mentula and Ciona intestinalis. New aspects revealed by freeze-substitution and deep-etching. Marine Biology 128, 213–224. , &
- 1993. Biotinylation of proteins on the surface of zona-free mouse oocytes. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 35, 285–292. , &
- 1995. Sperm-binding proteins. Int. Rev. Cytol. 163, 249–303.
- 1995. Morphological aspects of fertilization in Halocynthia roretzi (Ascidiacea, Tunicata). J. Struct. Biol. 114, 157–166. , &
- 1978. Isolation and characterization of membrane vesicles from human and boar spermatozoa: Methods using nitrogen cavitation and ionophore induced vesiculation. Prep. Biochem. 8, 363–378. , , , , &
- 1991. Isolation, characterization, and localization of a sperm-bound N-acetylglucosaminidase that is indispensable for fertilization in the ascidian, Phallusia mammillata. Dev. Biol. 143, 398–407. , &
- 1995. Specific inhibition of sperm β-N-acetylglucosaminidase by the synthetic inhibitor N-acetylglucosaminono-1,5-lactone O-(phenylcarbamoyl)oxime inhibits fertilization in the ascidian, Phallusia mammillata. Develop. Growth Differ. 37, 183–189. , &
- 1994. Species-specific binding of sperm proteins to the extracellular matrix (zona pellucida) of the egg. J. Biol. Chem. 269, 19 000–19 004. , &
- 1984. Roles of sperm glycosidases and proteases in the ascidian fertilization. In Advances in Invertebrate Reproduction (Ed. ), Vol. 3, pp. 27–40. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam .
- 1986. Sperm glycosidase as a plausible mediator of sperm binding to the vitelline envelope in Ascidians. In The Molecular and Cellular Biology of Fertilization (Ed. J. L.Hedrick), pp. 251–260. Plenum Press, New York .
- 1985. Sperm glycosidases as mediators of sperm–egg binding in the ascidians. Zool. Sci. 2, 65–69. , , , , &
- 1994. Glycosidases, proteases and ascidian fertilization. Semin. Dev. Biol. 5, 201–208. , , &
- 1993. Analysis of the barrier to sperm penetration in the egg of the sea squirt (Ascidia ceratodes). Masters Abstracts International 32, 170.
- 1985. Solubilization and enrichment of boar sperm membrane proteins. Gamete Research 11, 335–348. , , , , &
- 1991. Plasma membrane of trout spermatozoa. 1. Isolation and partial characterization. Fish Physiol. Biochem. 9, 325–338. , &
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227, 680–685.
- 1989. Ascidian sperm penetration and the translocation of a cell surface glycosidase. J. Exp. Zool. 249, 308–315.
- 1988. Sperm binding and penetration during ascidian fertilization. Develop. Growth Differ. 30, 325–336. , &
- 1991. Glycoprotein constituents of the vitelline coat of Phallusia mammillata (Ascidiacea) with fertilization inhibiting activity. Dev. Biol. 148, 536–551. , &
- 1993. Carbohydrate-mediated adhesion of eggs and sperm during mammalian fertilization. Trends Glycosci. Glycotechnol. 5, 369–388. , &
- 1980. Radioiodination and characterization of the plasma membrane of sea urchin sperm. Dev. Biol. 76, 15–25. , &
- 1992. Immunodetection of biotinylated lymphocyte-surface proteins by enhanced chemiluminescence: A non-radioactive method for cell-surface protein analysis. Anal. Biochem. 204, 220–226. , , , , &
- 1996. Molecular mechanisms of gamete recognition in sea urchin fertilization. In Current Topics in Developmental Biology, Vol. 32 (Eds R. A.Pedersen, & ), pp. 39–58. Academic Press, San Diego . , &
- 1995. Ascidian interspecific fertilization. 3. Ultrastructural investigations of sperm–egg interaction. Euro. J. Morph. 33, 433–442. , &
- 1995. Specific induction of self-discrimination by follicle cells in Ciona intestinalis oocytes. Develop. Growth Differ. 37, 287–291. , , , &
- 1984. Isolation and characterization of a plasma membrane fraction from sea urchin sperm exhibiting species-specific recognition of egg surface. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 778, 25–37. , , &
- 1993. Roles of sperm proteases in ascidian fertilization. J Reprod. Dev. 39 (Suppl.), 73–74. , , &
- 1996. The molecules of mammalian fertilization. Cell 85, 629–637. , &
- 1993. Effects of protease inhibitors on binding of sperm to the vitelline coat of ascidian eggs: Implications for participation of a proteasome (multicatalytic proteinase complex). J. Exp. Zool. 267, 86–91. , , , , , &
- 1979. Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: Procedure and some applications. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 79, 4350–4354. , , &
- 1986. Handling, labeling, and fractionating sea urchin spermatozoa. In Echinoderm Gametes and Embryos, Vol. 27 (Ed. T. E.Schroeder), pp. 15–40. Academic Press, Orlando .
- 1987. A scanning electron microscope study of Ascidia malaca eggs (Tunicate). Changes in the cell surface morphology at fertilization. Biol. Bull. 173, 355–366. , &
- 1985. Effects of extracellular egg factors on sperm guanylate cyclase. Science 227, 768–770. , , &
- 1986. Phosphorylation of membrane-bound guanylate cyclase of sea urchin spermatozoa. J. Cell Biol. 103, 95–101. , , &
- 1993. Electrophoresis in Practice. VCH Verlagsgesellschaft, Weinheim.
- 1994. Fertilization in ascidians: I. Purification and characterization of vitelline coat glycoproteins of Phallusia mammillata with sperm receptor activity. II. Ultrastructural investigations on sperm penetration and gamete fusion in Boltenia villosa and Phallusia mammillata. PhD thesis, University of Zürich, Zürich.
- 1993. Ultrastructural investigations on sperm penetration and gamete fusion in the ascidians Boltenia villosa and Phallusia mammillata. Marine Biology 116, 117–127. , &