Msx1 expressing mesoderm is important for the apical ectodermal ridge (AER)-signal transfer in chick limb development
Version of Record online: 27 OCT 2003
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 39, Issue 6, pages 705–714, December 1997
How to Cite
Hara, K. and Ide, H. (1997), Msx1 expressing mesoderm is important for the apical ectodermal ridge (AER)-signal transfer in chick limb development. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 39: 705–714. doi: 10.1046/j.1440-169X.1997.t01-5-00006.x
- Issue online: 27 OCT 2003
- Version of Record online: 27 OCT 2003
- Received 16 April 1997; revised 19 June 1997; accepted 19 June 1997.
- 1993 Maintenance of ZPA signaling in cultured mouse limb bud cells. Development 117. 1421–1433. , , &
- 1988. A gradient of responsiveness to the growth-promoting activity of ZPA (zone of polarizing activity) in the chick limb bud. Dev. Biol. 128, 136–141. , &
- 1995. Fibroblast growth factors induce additional limb development from the flank of chick embryos. Cell 80, 739–746. , , , , &
- 1991. Altered expression of the chicken homeobox-containing genes GHox-7 and GHox-8 in the limb buds of limbless mutant chick embryos. Development 113, 1487–1493. , , , , &
- 1992. Ghox-7: A chicken homeobox-containing gene expressed in a fashion consistent with a role in patterning events during embryonic chick limb development. Differentiation 49, 85–92. , , , &
- 1995. The mouse Fgf-8 gene encodes a family of polypeptide and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryo. Development 121, 439–451. , &
- 1996. Roles for FGF-8 in the induction, initiation, and maintenance of chick limb development. Cell 84, 127–136. , , , &
- 1991. Position-dependent expression of two related homeobox genes in developing vertebrate limbs. Nature 352, 429–431. , , , &
- 1994. Cell type-specific nuclear translocation of fibroblast growth factor-2 isoforms during chicken kidney and limb morphogenesis. Dev. Biol. 163, 316–330. , &
- 1994. FGF-2: Apical ectodermal ridge growth signal for chick limb development. Science 264, 104–107. , , , , , &
- 1976. An in vitro analogue of early chick limb bud outgrowth. Differentiation 6, 91–96. , &
- 1989. A family of mouse homeobox-containing genes: Molecular structure, chromosomal location, and developmental expression of Hox7.1. Genes Dev. 3. 26–37. , , , et al.
- 1994. Sorting out of cells from different parts and stages of the chick limb bud. Dev. Biol. 162, 71–76. , , &
- 1991. A dual receptor system is required for basic fibroblast growth factor activity. Cell 67, 229–231. , &
- 1975. Demonstration of cytoplasmic processes in Millipore filter permitting kidney tubule induction. J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 33. 187–203. , , , &
- 1995. A role for FGF8 in the initiation and maintenance of vertebrate limb bud growth. Curr. Biol. 5. 797–806. , , , et al .
- 1994. The ins and outs of fibroblast growth factors. Cell 78. 547–552.
- 1991. The Mshlike homeobox genes define domains in the developing eye. Development 112, 1053–1061. , , , et al .
- 1992. Regeneration in developing vertebrate limbs. Dev. Biol. 152. 37–49. , &
- 1992. Fgf-4 expression during gastrulation. myogenesis. limb and tooth development in the mouse. Development 114. 755–768. , &
- 1993. FGF-4 and BMP-2 have opposite effects on limb growth. Nature 361, 68–71. , &
- 1993. FGF-4 replaces the apical ectodermal ridge and direct outgrowth and patterning of the limb. Cell 75, 579–587. , , , , &
- 1992. Differential expression of two Msh-related homeobox genes Chox-7 and Chox-8 during chick limb development. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 182, 121–128. , , , , , &
- 1994. Involvement of androgen-induced growth factor (FGF8) gene in mouse embryogenesis and morphogenesis. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 204, 882–888. , , , , , &
- 1995. Digit tip regeneration correlates with regions of Msx1 (Hox7) expression in fetal and newborn mice. Development 121, 1065–1076. , , , &
- 1993. Retroviral expression of FGF-2 (bFGF) affects patterning in chick limb bud. Development 118. 95–104. , , , , &
- 1991. The apical ectodermal ridge regulates Hox-7 and Hox-8 gene expression in developing chick limb buds. Genes Dev. 6, 2363–2374. , , , , &
- 1989. Hox-7 a mouse homeobox gene with a novel pattern of expression during embryogenesis. EMBO J. 8. 91–100. , , , , &
- 1992. Apical ridge development and independent mesodermal domains of GHOX-7 and GHOX-8 expression in chick limb buds. Development 116, 811–818. , , , , , &
- 1990. Release of basic fibroblast growth factor-heparan sulfate complexes from endothelial cells by plasminogen activator-mediated proteolytic activity. J. Cell Biol. 110, 767–775. , &
- 1994. Msx1 deficient mice exhibit cleft palate and abnormalities of craniofacial and tooth development. Nature Genet. 6. 348–357. , &
- 1948. The proximal–distal sequence of origin of the parts of the chick wing and the role of the ectoderm. J. Exp. Zool. 108. 363–403.
- 1962. Cellular death in morphogenesis of the avian wing. Dev. Biol. 5. 147–178. , &
- 1959. The differentiation of prospective thigh mesoderm grafted beneath the apical ectodermal ridge of the wing bud in the chick embryo Dev. Biol. 1, 281–301. , , &
- 1995. FGF2 mRNA and its antisense message are expressed in the developmentally specific manner in the chick limb bud and mesonephros. Dev Dyn. 202, 343–353. , &
- 1993. Distribution of FGF-2 suggests it has a role in chick limb bud growth. Dev. Dyn. 198. 159–170. , , , , , &
- 1981. The influence of epithelia on cartilage and loose connective tissue formation by limb mesenchyme culture. Dev. Biol. 86, 471–482. , , &
- 1992. Expression of Hox-7.1 in myoblasts inhibits terminal differentiation and induces cell transformation. Nature 360, 477–481. , , &
- 1974. Interaction between the proximodistal and anteroposterior coordination of positional values during specification of positional information in the early development of the chick limb bud. J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 32, 27–237.
- 1974b. A quantitative analysis of the effect of excision of the AER from the chick limb bud. J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 32, 651–660.
- 1973. Positional information in chick limb morphogenesis. Nature 224, 492–496. , , &
- 1992. Localization of Hst1 transcripts to the apical ectodermal ridge in the mouse embryo. Dev. Biol. 150, 219–222. , , , , , &
- 1987. Endothelial cell-derived basic fibroblast growth factor: Synthesis and deposition into subendothelial extracellular matirx. Proc. Natl Acad. USA 84, 2292–2296. , , , , , &
- 1996. Involvement of FGF-8 in initiation, outgrowth and patterning of the vertebrate limb. Development 122, 1737–1750. , , &
- 1993. FGF-4 maintains polarizing activity of posterior limb bud cells in vivo and in vitro. Development 119, 199–206. , &
- 1995. Ectoderm-mesenchymal and mesenchyme–mesenchyme interactions regulate Msx1 expression and cellular differentiation in the murine limb bud. Dev. Biol. 168. 374–382. ,
- 1974. Transfilter induction of kidney tubules: Correlation with cytoplasmic penetration into Nucleopore filters. J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 31, 667–682. , , , &
- 1993, Basic FGF maintains some characteristics of the progress zone of chick limb bud in cell culture. Dev. Biol. 159. 223–231. , &
- 1995. Msx1 inhibits MyoD expression in fibroblast x10T 1/2 cell hybrids. Cell 82. 611–620. , , , et al .
- 1991. Cell surface, heparin-like molecules are required for binding of basic fibroblast growth factor to its high affinity receptor. Cell 64. 841–848. , , , , &
- 1991. Chicken homeobox gene Msx1: Structure, expression in limb buds and effect of retionic acid. Development 113, 431–444. , , , &
- 1995. mec-5 cells induce the AER prior to the duplicated pattern formation in chick limb bud Dev. Biol. 170, 542–552. , , &