*Author to whom all correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Expression of Eph receptor tyrosine kinases and their ligands in chick embryonic motor neurons and hindlimb muscles
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 41, Issue 6, pages 685–698, December 1999
How to Cite
Iwamasa, H., Ohta, K., Yamada, T., Ushijima, K., Terasaki, H. and Tanaka, H. (1999), Expression of Eph receptor tyrosine kinases and their ligands in chick embryonic motor neurons and hindlimb muscles. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 41: 685–698. doi: 10.1046/j.1440-169x.1999.00468.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1997. The expression of chick EphA7 during segmentation of the central and peripheral nervous system. Mech. Dev. 68, 173 177. &
- 1998. The expression and regulation of chick EphA7 suggests roles in limb patterning and innervation. Development 125, 4195 4204. , , et al.
- 1994. B61 is a ligand for the ECK receptor protein-tyrosine kinase. Nature 368, 558 560. , , et al.
- 1994. Several receptor tyrosine kinase genes of the Eph family are segmentally expressed in the developing hindbrain. Mech. Dev. 47, 3 17. , , et al.
- 1994. Molecular characterization of a family of ligands for eph-related tyrosine kinase receptors. EMBO J. 13, 3757 3762. , , et al.
- 1995. Molecular cloning of a ligand for the EPH-related receptor protein-tyrosine kinase Htk. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 92, 1866 1870. , , et al.
- 1995. Telling axons where to grow: A role for Eph receptor tyrosine kinases in guidance. Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 6, 487 495. &
- 1994. Identification and cloning of ELF-1, a developmentally expressed ligand for the Mek4 and Sek receptor tyrosine kinases. Cell 79, 157 168. &
- 1995. Complementary gradients in expression and binding of ELF-1 and Mek4 in development of the topographic retinotectal projection map. Cell 82, 371 381. , , ,
- 1998. Expression and tyrosine phosphorylation of Eph receptors suggest multiple mechanisms in patterning of the visual system. Dev. Biol. 193, 21 35. , ,
- 1991. The regulation of synaptogenesis during normal development and following activity blockade. J. Neurosci. 11, 238 255. &
- 1994. Ligands for EPH-related receptor tyrosine kinases that require membrane attachment or clustering for activity. Science 266, 816 819. , , et al.
- 1996. The Eph kinase ligand AL-1 is expressed by rostral muscles and inhibits outgrowth from caudal neurons. Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 8, 185 198. , , ,
- 1995. In vitro guidance of retinal ganglion cell axons by RAGS, a 25 kDa tectal protein related to ligands for Eph receptor tyrosine kinases. Cell 82, 359 370. , , et al.
- 1995. Embryo brain kinase: A novel gene of the eph/elk receptor tyrosine kinase family. Mech. Dev. 52, 319 341. , , et al.
- Eph Nomenclature Committee. 1997. Unified nomenclature for Eph family receptors and their ligands, the ephrins. Cell 90, 403 404.
- 1996. Distinct and overlapping expression patterns of ligands for Eph-related receptor tyrosine kinases during mouse embryogenesis. Dev. Biol. 179, 382 401. , , ,
- 1996. Eph receptor tyrosine kinases and their ligands in neural development. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 6, 127 133. &
- 1998. Ephrin-A5 (AL-1/RAGS) is essential for proper retinal axon guidance and topographic mapping in the mammalian visual system. Neuron 20, 235 243. , , et al.
- 1996. Regional specification of motoneurons along the anterior–posterior axis is independent of the notochord. Development 122, 905 914. , , et al.
- 1996. Eph receptors and ligands comprise two major specificity subclasses and are reciprocally compartmentalized during embryogenesis. Neuron 17, 9 19. , , et al.
- 1994. The Eck receptor tyrosine kinase is implicated in pattern formation during gastrulation, hindbrain segmentation and limb development. Oncogene 9, 1613 1624. , , et al.
- 1992. An Eph-related receptor protein tyrosine kinase gene segmentally expressed in the developing mouse hindbrain. Oncogene 7, 2499 2506. , , et al.
- 1989. Developmental changes in phosphorylation state of neurofilament proteins in the chick embryonic optic nerve. Dev. Biol. 134, 85 102. , , ,
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J. Morphol. 88, 49 92. &
- 1994. Immunolocalization of the Nuk receptor tyrosine kinase suggests roles in segmental patterning of the brain and axonogenesis. Oncogene 9, 1001 1014. , , et al.
- 1996. Nuk controls pathfinding of commissural axons in the mammalian central nervous system. Cell 86, 35 46. , , et al.
- 1987. A novel putative tyrosine kinase receptor encoded by the eph gene. Science 238, 1717 1720. , , et al.
- 1999. Modulation of EphA receptor function by coexpressed ephrinA ligands on retinal ganglion cell axons. Neuron 22, 731 742. , , et al.
- 1998. Muscle and tendon morphogenesis in the avian hind limb. Development 125, 4019 4032.
- 1996. Expression of the Tyro4/Mek4/Cek4 gene specifically marks a subset of embryonic motor neurons and their muscle targets. Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 7, 62 74. , , et al.
- 1995. Ligands for the receptor tyrosine kinases hek and elk: Isolation of cDNAs encoding a family of proteins. Oncogene 10, 299 306. , ,
- 1997. Interactions of Eph-related receptors and ligands confer rostrocaudal pattern to trunk neural crest migration. Curr. Biol. 7, 571 580. , , et al.
- 1996. Purification of a ligand for the EPH-like receptor HEK using a biosensor-based affinity detection approach. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 93, 2523 2527. , , et al.
- 1993. Collapsin: A protein in brain that induces the collapse and paralysis of neuronal growth cones. Cell 75, 217 227. , ,
- 1996. Eph family receptors and their ligands distribute in opposing gradients in the developing mouse retina. Dev. Biol. 180, 786 789. , , et al.
- 1995. Semaphorin III can function as a selective chemorepellent to pattern sensory projections in the spinal cord. Neuron 14, 949 959. , , et al.
- 1997. Shared and distinct functions of RAGS and ELF-1 in guiding retinal axons. EMBO J. 16, 1258 1267. , , et al.
- 1996. Topographically specific effects of ELF-1 on retinal axon guidance in vitro and retinal axon mapping in vivo. Cell 86, 755 766. , , et al.
- 1992. A receptor protein tyrosine kinase implicated in the segmental patterning of the hindbrain and mesoderm. Development 116, 1137 1150. , , ,
- 1997. The inhibitory effect on neurite outgrowth of motoneurons exerted by the ligands ELF-1 and RAGS. Mech. Dev. 64, 127 135. , , et al.
- 1996. The receptor tyrosine kinase, Cek8, is transiently expressed on subtypes of motoneurons in the spinal cord during development. Mech. Dev. 54, 59 69. , , et al.
- 1995. Early development and dispersal of oligodendrocyte precursors in the embryonic chick spinal cord. Development 121, 1743 1754. , , et al.
- 1996. Sek4 and Nuk receptors cooperate in guidance of commissural axons and in palate formation. EMBO J. 15, 6035 6049. , , et al.
- 1995. Cell signalling: Receptor orphans find a family. Curr. Biol. 5, 986 989. , ,
- 1997. Aberrant axonal projections in mice lacking EphA8 (Eek) tyrosine protein kinase receptors. EMBO J. 16, 3106 3114. , ,
- 1992. Cek5, a membrane receptor-type tyrosine kinase, is in neurons of the embryonic and postnatal avian brain. J. Neurosci. 12, 3956 3967. , , ,
- 1990. Axon guidance in muscleless chick wings: The role of muscle cells in motoneuronal pathway selection and muscle nerve formation. J. Neurosci. 10, 2699 2716. &
- 1994. The expression of the receptor-protein tyrosine kinase gene, eck, is highly restricted during early mouse development. Mech. Dev. 46, 87 100. &
- 1991. Identification of a new eph-related receptor tyrosine kinase gene from mouse and chicken that is developmentally regulated and encodes at least two forms of the receptor. New Biol. 3, 769 778. , ,
- 1992. Growth factor signaling by receptor tyrosine kinases. Neuron 9, 383 391. &
- 1991. Spatial and temporal patterns of muscle cleavage in the chick thigh and their value as criteria for homology. Am. J. Anat. 191, 325 350. &
- 1997. Novel expression gradients of Eph-like receptor tyrosine kinases in the developing chick retina. Dev. Biol. 188, 363 368. , ,
- 1994. cDNA cloning and characterization of a ligand for the Cek5 receptor protein-tyrosine kinase. J. Biol. Chem. 269, 26 606 26 609. , , et al.
- 1995. cDNA cloning and characterization of a Cek7 receptor protein-tyrosine kinase ligand that is identical to the ligand (ELF-1) for the Mek-4 and Sek receptor protein-tyrosine kinases. J. Biol. Chem. 270, 3467 3470. , , et al.
- 1994. Identification of a complete Cek7 receptor protein tyrosine kinase coding sequence and cDNAs of alternatively spliced transcripts. Gene 148, 219 226. &
- 1997. The EphA4 and EphB1 receptor tyrosine kinases and ephrin-B2 ligand regulate targeted migration of branchial neural crest cells. Curr. Biol. 7, 561 570. , , ,
- 1994. Characterization of the expression of the Cek8 receptor-type tyrosine kinase during development and in tumor cell lines. Oncogene 9, 3353 3361. , ,
- 1995. Expression of a cell adhesion molecule, neuropilin, in the developing chick nervous system. Dev. Biol. 170, 207 222. , , et al.
- 1996. Transient expression of Collagen type XIV during muscle development and its reappearance after denervation and degeneration. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 44, 907 918. , , ,
- 1994. Topographic organization of embryonic motor neurons defined by expression of LIM homeobox genes. Cell 79, 957 970. , , et al.
- 1994. Receptor protein-tyrosine kinases and their signal transduction pathways. Annu. Rev. Cell Biol. 10, 251 337. , ,
- 1997. Eph family transmembrane ligands can mediate repulsive guidance of trunk neural crest migration and motor axon outgrowth. Neuron 18, 383 396. &
- 1995. Cloning of AL-1, a ligand for an Eph-related tyrosine kinase receptor involved in axon bundle formation. Neuron 14, 973 981. , , et al.
- 1997. Dynamic expression suggests multiple roles of the eph family receptor brain-specific kinase (Bsk) during mouse neurogenesis. Mol. Brain Res. 47, 202 214. , , ,