*Author to whom all correspondence should be addressed.
The vasa-like gene, olvas, identifies the migration path of primordial germ cells during embryonic body formation stage in the medaka, Oryzias latipes
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 42, Issue 4, pages 317–326, August 2000
How to Cite
Shinomiya, A., Tanaka, M., Kobayashi, T., Nagahama, Y. and Hamaguchi, S. (2000), The vasa-like gene, olvas, identifies the migration path of primordial germ cells during embryonic body formation stage in the medaka, Oryzias latipes. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 42: 317–326. doi: 10.1046/j.1440-169x.2000.00521.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1975. Germ plasm and the differentiation of the germ cell line. Int. Rev. Cytol. 43, 229 280.
- 1994. Isolation of a DEAD-family protein gene that encodes a murine homolog of Drosophila vasa and its specific expression in germ cell lineage. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 91, 12 258 12 262. , , et al.
- 1961. On the origin of germ cells and formation of gonad primordia in the medaka, Oryzias latipes. Jpn. J. Zool. 13, 101 115.
- 1982. A light- and electron-microscopic study on the migration of primordial germ cells in the teleost, Oryzias latipes. Cell Tissue Res. 227, 139 151.
- 1985. Changes in the morphology of the germinal dense bodies in primordial germ cells of the teleost, Oryzias latipes. Cell Tissue Res. 240, 669 673.
- 1987. The structure of the germinal dense bodies (nuages) during differentiation of the male germ line of the teleost, Oryzias latipes. Cell Tissue Res. 248, 375 378.
- 1988. A protein component of Drosophila polar granules is encoded by vasa and has extensive sequence similarity to ATP-dependent helicases. Cell 55, 577 587. , ,
- 1998. Germ plasm in Caenorhabditis elegans, Drosophila and Xenopus. Develop. Growth Differ. 40, 1 10.
- 1974. Transplantation of posterior polar plasm in Drosophila: Induction of germ cells at the anterior pole of the egg. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 71, 1016 1020. &
- 1994. Stages of normal development in the medaka Oryzias latipes. Zool. Sci. 11, 825 839.
- 1988. Oogenesis in the medaka Oryzias latipes: Stages of oocyte development. Zool. Sci. 5, 353 373. , , ,
- 1951. The embryonic history of the germ cells of the largemouth black bass, Micropterus salmoides salmoides (Lacépéde). J. Morphol. 88, 471 542.
- 1994. Isolation and characterization of a novel gene of the DEAD box protein family which is specifically expressed in germ cells of Xenopus laevis. Dev. Biol. 162, 354 363.DOI: 10.1006/dbio.1994.1093 , , ,
- 1995. Cloning of a gene of the DEAD box protein family which is specifically expressed in germ cells in rats. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 207, 405 410.DOI: 10.1006/bbrc.1995.1202 &
- 1988. The product of the Drosophila gene vasa is very similar to eukaryotic initiation factor-4A. Nature 335, 611 617. &
- 1994. Localization of vasa protein to the Drosophila pole plasm is independent of its RNA-binding and helicase activities. Development 120, 1201 1211. , ,
- 1989. Birth of the D-E-A-D box. Nature 337, 121 122. , , et al.
- 1997. A vasa-like gene in zebrafish identifies putative primordial germ cells. Mech. Dev. 66, 95 105. , ,
- 1993. The HRIGRXXR region of the DEAD box RNA helicase eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4A required for RNA binding and ATP hydrolysis. Mol. Cell. Biol. 13, 6789 6798. , ,
- 1992. Mutational analysis of a DEAD box RNA helicase: The mammalian translation initiation factor elF-4A. EMBO J. 11, 2643 2654. &
- 1996. Regulated synthesis, transport and assembly of the Drosophila germ plasm. Trends Genet. 12, 102 109. &
- 1997. Spermiogenesis without preceding meiosis in the hybrid medaka between Oryzias latipes and O. curvinotus. J. Exp. Zool. 279, 102 112.DOI: 10.1002/(sici)1097-010x(19970901)279:1<102::aid-jez10>3.0.co;2-a , ,
- 1983. Protrusive activity, mode and rate of locomotion, and pattern of adhesion of Fundulus deep cells during gastrulation. J. Exp. Zool. 228, 41 70. &
- 1992. On the convergent cell movements of gastrulation in Fundulus. J. Exp. Zool. 261, 40 61. , ,
- 1999. Identification of tissues and patterning events required for distinct steps in early migration of zebrafish primordial germ cells. Development 126, 5295 5307. , , , ,
- 1997. Zebrafish vasa homologue RNA is localized to the cleavage planes of 2- and 4-cell-stage embryos and is expressed in the primordial germ cells. Development 124, 3157 3166. , ,