This article was prepared by Mark Horstman (Land+Sea Management Unit, Kimberley Land Council, PO Box 2145, Broome WA 6725, Australia. Tel: +61-8-9193 6199. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) and Glenn Wightman (Northern Territory Herbarium, Parks & Wildlife Commission of Northern Territory, PO Box 496, Palmerston NT 0831, Australia. Tel: +61-8-8999 4513. Email: email@example.com. Rather than prescribe particular methods, the article presents some useful approaches from the personal viewpoints of ‘western’ biologists who are guided and influenced by Aboriginal people in northern Australia. It does not seek to represent the views of Aboriginal individuals, communities, or organizations. Stories, photos and cultural information have been authorized for use by the traditional custodians.
Karparti ecology: Recognition of Aboriginal ecological knowledge and its application to management in north-western Australia
Article first published online: 20 DEC 2001
Ecological Management & Restoration
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 99–109, August 2001
How to Cite
Horstman, M. and Wightman, G. (2001), Karparti ecology: Recognition of Aboriginal ecological knowledge and its application to management in north-western Australia. Ecological Management & Restoration, 2: 99–109. doi: 10.1046/j.1442-8903.2001.00073.x
- Issue published online: 20 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 20 DEC 2001
- Aboriginal Lands Trust SA (1999) Strategy for Aboriginal Managed Land in South Australia (SAMLISA). Indigenous Land Corporation, Natural Heritage Trust, Aboriginal Lands Trust: Adelaide.
- (1999) Cross-cultural conflicts in fire management in northern Australia: not so black and white. Conservation Ecology3, 6 [online] URL: http://www.consecol.org/vol3/ iss1/art6.
- Mutitjulu Community (1992) Comparing two views of the landscape: Aboriginal traditional ecological knowledge and modern scientific knowledge. Rangelands Journal 14, 174–189. and
- (2001) Working on Country: Contemporary Indigenous Management of Australia’s Lands and Coastal Regions. Oxford University Press, Melbourne. , , (Eds)
- Climate Action Network Australia (2001) Regional information sheets — the impacts of climate change in Australia [online] URL: http://www.climateaustralia.org.au/climate.
- Dhimurru Land Management Aboriginal Corporation (2001) Indigenous Protected Area — Management Plan. Yolngu owners and managers, North-east Arnhem Land.
- (2000a) An emu in the hole: exploring the link between biodiversity and Aboriginal heritage in New South Wales, Australia. Parks: the International Journal for Protected Areas Management 10 (2), 13–25.
- (2000b) This Continent of smoke: Analysing the relationship between fire management and Aboriginal heritage in New South Wales. In: Red Trucks: Green Futures. Proceedings of a Conference on Ecologically Sustainable Bush Fire Management. pp 55–65. Nature Conservation Council of NSW Inc, Sydney.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) (2001) Climate Change 2001: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability, IPCC Working Group II, Geneva [online] URL: http://www.ipcc.ch.
- Kimberley Land Council (2000) ‘How Healthy is our Country?’: Report from a Workshop about the Kimberley Environment. KLC/Department of Environmental Protection, Broome, WA.
- (1991) Wunambal words for rainforest and other Kimberley plants and animals. In: Kimberley Rainforests (eds N. L. McKenzie, R. B. Johston & P. G. Kendrick) pp. 413–421. Surrey Beatty and Sons, Chipping Norton. , ,
- (1995) Ngan’gikurunggurr and Ngan’giwumirri ethnobotany: Aboriginal plant use from the Daly River area, northern Australia. Northern Territory Botanical Bulletin No. 22. Conservation Commission of the Northern Territory, Darwin. , , et al.
- (1992) Aboriginal ‘joint’ management of Northwest Kimberley Conservation Reserves: achievable under existing legislation but is there the political will? In: Aboriginal Involvement in Parks and Protected Areas (eds J. Birckhead, T. DeLacy and L. Smith) pp. 251–261. Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra.
- (1997a) The Coalition Government, Mabo and Wik. Speech to Australian Jewish Democratic Society, 9 September 1997. [online] URL: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ajds/Pearson.htm
- (1997b) The Concept of Native Title at Common Law. Australian Humanities Review [online] URL: http://www.lib.latrobe.edu.au/AHR/archive/Issue-March-1997/pearson.html, from Our Land is Our Life, Land Rights — Past, Present and Future, ed G. Yunupingu, University of Queensland Press, Brisbane.
- , , , et al. (in press). Tiwi Ethnobiology: Aboriginal Plant and Animal Knowledge from Bathurst and Melville Islands, Northern Australia. Northern Territory Botanical Bulletin No 24. Conservation Commission of the Northern Territory, Darwin.
- (1996) Drysdale River National Park, WA: Aboriginal cultural heritage, management problems and potential. ch.13, pp.71–81 In: Ward KW and Ward LA (eds) Management of Rock Imagery. Proceedings of Symposium H — Management of Rock Imagery, Second International Congress of the Australian Rock Art Research Association, Cairns 1992 [August-September 1992], Archaeological Publications, Melbourne (Occasional AURA publication No. 9)
- (2000) Collaborative Research Possibilities in Cape York Peninsula. Report prepared for CRC Tropical Savannas by Wik, Wik Way and Kugu Rangers; Balkanu Cape York Development Corporation; Key Centre for Tropical Wildlife Management; and Centre for Indigenous Natural and Cultural Reseource Management; Cairns.
- (1999) WWF/Indigenous Nations Biodiversity Conservation Project Scoping Study. Indigenous Law Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney. , , et al.
- (1992) The relevance of some aspects of Aboriginal subsistence activities to the management of national parks: With reference to Martu people of the Western Desert. In: Aboriginal Involvement in Parks and Protected Areas (Eds J. Birckhead, T. DeLacy and L. Smith) pp. 78–97, Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra.
- (2001) Talking Up, Working Together: Land Use Planning with Aboriginal People. IAD Press (in press). &
- (2000) Defining and Measuring the Health of Savanna Landscapes: a North Australia Perspective. Discussion Paper, Tropical Savannas CRC, Darwin. , , , ,
- (1994) Mangarrayi Ethnobotany: Aboriginal Plant Use from the Elsey Area, Northern Australia. Conservation Commission of the Northern Territory, Darwin. , ,
- Wunambal-Gaambera Aboriginal Corporation. (2001) Land of Wandjina and Wunggurr– Ngauwudu (Mitchell Plateau) Management Plan. Kimberley Land Council, Kandiwal/ Broome, WA (limited distribution).
- (2000) Conservation and Cultural Survival Through Coexistence: the Democratisation of National Parks in Western Australia. Keynote address to public forum ‘The Reform of CALM: Are the proposed new conservation laws adequate?’ 11 March 2000, Perth Cultural Centre [online] URL: http://savanna.ntu.edu.au/download/keynote.pdf.
- (1999) Living water. Habitat Australia, June 1999: pp. 24–27, Australian Conservation Foundation, Melbourne. &
- (2000) Ngapa Kunangkul: Living Water. Report on the Aboriginal Cultural Values of Groundwater in the La Grange sub-basin. Centre for Anthropological Research, University of Western Australia, for the WA Water and Rivers Commission [online] URL: http://www.wrc.wa.gov.au/public/cultural/index.htm