Out of sight, out of mind: the impacts of root-feeding insects in natural and managed systems
Article first published online: 20 DEC 2001
Agricultural and Forest Entomology
Volume 3, Issue 1, pages 3–9, February 2001
How to Cite
Hunter, M. D. (2001), Out of sight, out of mind: the impacts of root-feeding insects in natural and managed systems. Agricultural and Forest Entomology, 3: 3–9. doi: 10.1046/j.1461-9563.2001.00083.x
- Issue published online: 20 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 20 DEC 2001
- Accepted 6 November 2000
- 1987 Below-ground herbivory in natural communities: a review emphasizing fossorial animals. Quarterly Review of Biology, 62, 261–286.
- 1989 A revised scheme for the classification of population interactions. Oikos, 56, 141–143. &
- 1989 The mechanism of damage-induced alkaloids in wild tobacco. Journal of Chemical Ecology, 15, 1661–1680.
- 1999 Below-ground herbivory promotes soil nutrient transfer and root growth in grassland. Ecology Letters, 2, 357–360.DOI: 10.1046/j.1461-0248.1999.00001.x , &
- 1993 Herbivory below ground and biological weed control: life history of a root-boring weevil on purple loosestrife. Oecologia, 94, 380–387.
- 1989 Herbivory by soil-dwelling insects depresses plant species richness. Functional Ecology, 3, 667–671. &
- 1992 Secondary plant succession: how is it modified by insect herbivory? Vegetatio, 101, 3–13. &
- 1995 Yield reduction in apple by edaphic woolly apple aphid (Homoptera: Aphididae) populations. Journal of Economic Entomology, 88, 127–133. , , &
- 1996 Field and laboratory selection of Medicago plant introductions for resistance to the clover root curculio (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Journal of Economic Entomology, 89, 1033–1039. , , &
- 2000 Feeding ecology and emergence production of annual cicadas (Homoptera: Cicadidae) in tallgrass prairie. Oecologia, 123, 535–542. , , , &
- 1963 The importance of some Carabidae and Staphylinidae as predators of the cabbage root fly, Erioischia brassicae (Bouche). Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 6, 156–164. &
- 1998 Disturbance intensity and above- and below-ground herbivory effects on long-term (14 y) recovery of a semiarid grassland. Plant Ecology, 139, 221–233. , &
- 1976 A review or root production processes and their influence on soil biota in terrestrial ecosystems. The Role of Terrestrial and Aquatic Organisms in Decomposition. Processes (eds J. M., Anderson & A.Macfadyen), pp. 417–434. Blackwell Scientific Publications. London.
- 1995 Damage relationships of Japanese beetle and southern masked chafer (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) grubs in cool-season turfgrasses. Journal of Economic Entomology, 88, 1049–1056. &
- 1980 Effects of simulated grazing by below-ground herbivores on growth, CO2 exchange, and carbon allocation patterns of Bouteloua gracilis. Journal of Applied Ecology, 17, 771–778. , , &
- 1988a Quantifying effects of clover root curculio (Coleptera: Curculionidae) larval feeding on biomass and root reserves of alfalfa. Journal of Economic Entomology, 81, 641–648. &
- 1988b Influence of larval clover root curculio (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) injury on carbohydrate root reserves and yield of alfalfa. Journal of Economic Entomology, 81, 803–809. &
- 1998 Effects of below-ground herbivory by Diabrotica virgifera (Col., Chrysomelidea) and soil moisture on leaf gas exchange of maize. Journal of Applied Entomology, 122, 179–183. &
- 1996 Effect of beetle size on predation of cabbage root fly eggs by ground beetles. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 81, 199–206.
- 1999 Predation of cabbage root fly eggs by carabid ground beetles-fact or fantasy? Bulletin of the Royal Entomological Society, 23, 228–232. &
- 1993 Root damage and water stress: treatments affecting the exploitation of the buds of common ash Fraxinus excelsior L., by larvae of the ash bud moth Prays fraxinella Bjerk. (Lep., Yponomeutidae). Oecologia, 96, 134–138. &
- 1994 Root disturbance of common ash, Fraxinus excelsior (Oleaceae), leads to reduced foliar toughness and increased feeding by a folivorous weevil, Stereonychus fraxini (Coleoptera, Curculionidae). Ecological Entomology, 19, 344–348. , &
- 1997 Effects of below-ground insects, mycorrhizal fungi and soil fertility on the establishment of Vicia in grassland communities. Oecologia, 109, 374–381.DOI: 10.1007/s004420050096 &
- 1996 Reduction in vine weevil larval growth by mycorrhizal fungi. Mitteilungen Aus der Biologischen Bundesanstalt Fur Land- und Forstwirtschaft, 316, 56–60.
- 1999 Interactions between subterranean insects and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Bulletin of the Royal Entomological Society, 23, 238–241.
- 1997 Interactions between insects and mycorrhizal fungi. Multitrophic Interactions in Terrestrial Systems (eds A. C., Gange & V. K.Brown), pp. 115–131. Blackwell Science. Oxford. &
- 1989 Effects of root herbivory by an insect on a foliar-feeding species, mediated through changes in the host plant. Oecologia, 81, 38–42. &
- 1994 Reduction of black vine weevil larval growth by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal infection. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 70, 115–119. , &
- 1991 Herbivore-driven mycorrhizal mutualism in insect-susceptible pinyon pine. Nature, 353, 556–557. &
- 1985 Influence of soil moisture and weed density on clover root curculio, Sitona hispidulus, larval stress to alfalfa. Journal of Agricultural Entomology, 2, 370–377. &
- 1987 Digestibility, protein content and nutrient yields of alfalfa stressed by early season insect pests and diseases. Journal of Economic Entomology, 80, 257–262. , &
- 1988 Sitona discoideus (Coleoptera; Curculionidae) in New Zealand Lucerne. Journal of Applied Ecology, 25, 177–195. , &
- 1991 Flavonoid and isoflavonoid distribution in developing soybean seedling tissues and in seed and root exudates. Plant Physiology, 95, 594–603.
- 1995 Endophytes of fescue grasses enhance susceptibility of Popilla japonica larvae to an entomopathogenic nematode. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 74, 219–224. , &
- 1997 An exploratory study on the influence of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi on the success of weed biological control with insects. Biocontrol Science and Technology, 7, 193–201.DOI: 10.1080/09583159730893 &
- 1999 Antisera to detect predation on Collembola and Diptera. Bulletin of the Royal Entomological Society, 23, 236–238. , &
- 1992 Effects of temporary drainage on selected life history stages of the rice water weevil (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in Calfornia. Journal of Economic Entomology, 85, 950–956. , , &
- 1990 Plant response to herbivory and below-ground nitrogen cycling. Ecology, 71, 1040–1049. &
- 1998 Influence of increasing herbivore pressure on modification of glucosinolate content of Swedes (Brassica napus spp. rapifera). Journal of Chemical Ecology, 24, 2003–2019. , , &
- 1996 Additive effects of genotype, nutrient availability and type of tissue damage on the compensatory response of Salix planifolia spp. planifolia to simulated herbivory. Oecologia, 107, 373–378. &
- 1959 The natural mortality of Erioischia brassicae (Bouche). Journal of Experimental Biology, 37, 218–223.
- 2000a Mixed signals and cross–talk: interactions between plants, insect herbivores and plant pathogens. Agricultural and Forest Entomology, 2, 155–160.DOI: 10.1046/j.1461-9563.2000.00071.x
- 2000b Between hyperbole and hysteria: entomological issues and the deployment of transgenic plants. Agricultural and Forest Entomology, 2, 77–84.DOI: 10.1046/j.1461-9563.2000.00060.x
- 1990 Effects of root-feeding nematodes on above-ground net primary production in a North American grassland. Plant and Soil, 121, 279–281. &
- 1920 Bionomics of the genus Sitones injurious to legume crops in Britain (Part 1). Annals of Applied Biology, 7, 269–298.
- 1997 Biological control of the black vine weevil, Otiorhynchus sulcatus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) with entomopathogenic nematodes (Nematoda: Rhabditida). Annals of Applied Biology, 131, 11–27. , &
- 1997. Induced Responses to Herbivory. The University of Chicago Press. Chicago. &
- 1996 Combined chemical defenses against an insect-fungal complex. Journal of Chemical Ecology, 22, 1367–1388. , &
- 1999 Black vine weevil – the millennium bug? Bulletin of the Royal Entomological Society, 23, 213–220.
- 1985 Effect of root feeding by striped cucumber beetle larvae on the incidence and severity of Fusarium wilt of muskmelon. Phytopathology, 75, 209–211. &
- 1998 Insect herbivory above- and below-ground: individual and joint effects on plant fitness. Ecology, 79, 1281–1293.
- 1995a The effect of herbivore density on host plant mediated interactions between two insects. Ecological Research, 10, 125–133.
- 1995b The impact of root herbivory on aphid performance: field and laboratory evidence. Acta Oecologia, 16, 135–142.
- 1999 Upstairs–downstairs interactions: above- and below-ground insect herbivores. Bulletin of the Royal Entomological Society, 23, 242–247.
- 1992 Plant–mediated interactions between two spatially separated insects. Functional Ecology, 6, 175–179. &
- 1997 Host–plant mediated interactions between spatially separated herbivores: effects on community structure. Multitrophic Interactions in Terrestrial. Ecosystems. 36th Symposium of the British Ecological Society (eds A. C., Gange & V. K.Brown), pp. 217–237. Blackwell Science. Oxford. &
- 1993 Plant mediated interactions between above- and below-ground insect herbivores. Oikos, 66, 148–151. , &
- 1991 Factors associated with loblolly pine mortality on former agricultural sites in the Conservation Reserve Program. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 46, 306–311. , , , &
- 1990 Interspecific competition between root-feeding and leaf- galling aphids mediated by host-plant resistance. Ecology, 71, 1050–1058. &
- 1997 Species composition of root-feeding macroarthropods in a subalpine grassland associated with pine forest in Mexico. Canadian Entomologist, 129, 71–80. , &
- 1989 Fine root production of astringent phenolics. Oecologia, 79, 563–565. , &
- 1991 The impact of root herbivory as a function of plant density and competition: survival, growth, and fecundity of Centaurea maculosa in field plots. Journal of Applied Ecology, 28, 759–776.
- 1999 Sitona spp. (Coleoptera; Curculionidae) in grassland in England and the impact of their root herbivory on white clover. Bulletin of the Royal Entomological Society, 23, 221–227. &
- 1996 Impact of insect herbivory on the growth and nitrogen and carbon contents of white clover (Trifolium repens) seedlings. Canadian Journal of Botany, 74, 1591–1595. , &
- 1985 Some ecological aspects of the termite problem in young eucalypt plantations in Kerala, India. Forest Ecology and Management, 12, 287–304. &
- 1997 The influence of below ground herbivory and plant competition on growth and biomass allocation of purple loosestrife. Oecologia, 113, 82–93.DOI: 10.1007/s004420050356 , &
- 1984 The Pea Leaf Weevil. Current Information Series, 227. University of Idaho, Cooperative Extention Experimental Station, Town?. , &
- 1984 Untersuchungen zur ertragsbeeinflussund der acker bohne (Vicia faba L.) durch den linierten blattrandkefer (Sitona lineatus L. Coleptera: Curculionidae). Archiv für Phytopathologie und Pflantzen Schutz, 20, 371–381.
- 1990 Biological control of Senecio jacobaea in Northern California, an enduring success. Entomophaga, 35, 71–77. &
- 1996 Cultural practices affect root- feeding white grubs (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) in turfgrass. Journal of Economic Entomology, 89, 156–164. , , &
- 1983 Ladino clover resistance to the clover root curculio (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Journal of Economic Entomology, 76, 264–268. , , &
- 1992 Compensatory response of a legume root-nodule system to nodule herbivory by Sitona hispidulus. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 64, 167–176. &
- 1996 Compensatory growth response of the legume, Medicago sativa, to defoliation and denodulation. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 78, 243–252. &
- 1991 Responses to simulated leaf and root herbivory by a biennial Tragopogon dubius. Ecology, 72, 116–124. &
- 1973 Ecology. Thomas Nelson and Sons, Middlesex, U.K.
- 1985 Biomass of larval scarabaeidae (Coleoptera) in relation to grazing pressures in temperate, sown pastures. Journal of Applied Ecology, 22, 863–874. &
- 1996 Interspecific herbivore interactions in a high CO2 environment: root and shoot aphids feeding on Cardamine. Oikos, 77, 326–330. , &
- 1999 Insecticidal toxin in root exudates from Bt corn. Nature, 402, 480.DOI: 10.1038/44997 , &
- 1998 Damage-induced accumulation of phytoecdysteroids in spinach: a rapid root response involving the octadecanoic acid pathway. Journal of Chemical Ecology, 24, 339–360. , , &
- 1999 Insect-induced synthesis of phytoecdysteroids in spinach, Spinacia oleracea. Journal of Chemical Ecology, 25, 1739–1757. , , &
- 1990 Effects of simulated root herbivory and fertilizer application on growth and biomass allocation in the clonal perennial. Solidago Canadensis. Oecologia, 84, 9–15. , &
- 1997 Bionomics of Mogulones cruciger (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), a below-ground herbivore for the biological control of hound's-tongue. Environmental Entomology, 42, 357–365.
- 1988 Maximization of densities of soil animals by foliage herbivory: empirical evidence, graphical and conceptual models. Oikos, 51, 243–248. , &
- 1995 Below-ground herbivory in Carduus nutans (Asteraceae) and the potential for biological control. Biocontrol Science and Technology, 5, 261–270. , , &
- 1997. Mycorrhial Symbiosis. Academic Press. London. &
- 1992 Physiological and growth responses of Centaurea maculosa (Aseraceae) to root herbivory under varying levels of interspecific plant competition and soil nitrogen availability. Oecologia, 91, 141–149. &
- 1996 Entomopathogenic nematodes: natural enemies of root-feeding caterpillars on bush lupine. Oecologia, 108, 167–173. , , , , , , &
- 1995 High mortality, fluctuation in numbers, and heavy subterranean insect herbivory in bush lupine, Lupinus arboreus. Oecologia, 104, 85–92. , , , , &
- 1999 Model selection for a subterranean trophic cascade: root-feeding caterpillars and entomopathogenic nematodes. Ecology, 80, 2750–2761. , , &
- 1999 Analysis of patterns of prey consumption by carabids using prey-specific monoclonal antibodies. Bulletin of the Royal Entomological Society, 23, 232–235. &
- 1991 Squash beetles, cucumber beetles, and inducible cucurbit responses. Phytochemical Induction by Herbivores (eds D. W., Tallamy & M. J.Raupp), pp. 155–181. John Wiley. New York. &
- 1996 Effects of Cerotoma arcuata (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) on predation of nodules and on N2 fixation of Phaseolus vulgaris. Journal of Economic Entomology, 89, 165–169. , &
- 1997 Competition and herbivory in establishing grassland communities: implications for plant biomass, species diversity and soil microbial activity. Oikos, 80, 470–480. &
- 1999 Root herbivory in vitro: interactions between roots and aphids grown in aseptic coculture. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology – Plant, 35, 259–264. , &
- 1996 The probability of attack and patterns of constitutive and induced defense: a test of optimal defense theory. American Naturalist, 147, 599–608. &