Screening for prostate cancer: evidence and perspectives
Version of Record online: 20 DEC 2001
Volume 88, Issue 8, pages 811–817, November 2001
How to Cite
Schröder, F.H., Wildhagen, M.F. and and the Rotterdam Study Group of the ‘European Randomised Study of Screening for Prostate Cancer’ (ERSPC) (2001), Screening for prostate cancer: evidence and perspectives. BJU International, 88: 811–817. doi: 10.1046/j.1464-4096.2001.02449.x
- Issue online: 20 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 20 DEC 2001
- 1A prospective evaluation of plasma prostate-specific antigen for detection of prostatic cancer. JAMA 1995; 273: 811–817, , .
- 3Prospective observational study to assess value of prostate specific antigen as screening test for prostate cancer. Br Med J 1995; 311: 1340–3, , et al.
- 42001, , et al. Large-scale randomized prostate cancer screening trials; program performances in the ERSPC- and PLCO-trials (European Randomized Screening for Prostate Cancer and Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovary cancer trials)
- 5Comparison of trends in prostate-cancer mortality in England and Wales and the USA. Lancet 2000; 355: 1788–9DOI: 10.1016/s0140-6736(00)02269-8, , .
- 6Incidence of Cancer in the Netherlands 1997. Utrecht: Vereniging Van Integrale Kankercentral, 2001, , , eds.
- 8Decrease in prostate cancer mortality following introduction of prostate specific antigen (PSA) screening in the federal state of Tyrol, Austria. J Urol 2000; 163(Suppl. 4): 88, A387, , et al.
- 10Screening decreases prostate cancer death. First analysis of the 1988 Quebec prospective randomized controlled trial. Prostate 1999; 40: 135–6DOI: 10.1002/(sici)1097-0045(19990701)40:2<135::aid-pros11>3.0.co;2-y.
- 12CDC Website. http://wonder.cdc.gov/ 2001
- 14Cancer surveillance series: interpreting trends in prostate cancer – part III. Quantifying the link between population prostate-specific antigen testing and recent declines in prostate cancer mortality. J Natl Cancer Inst 1999; 91: 1033–9DOI: 10.1093/jnci/91.12.1033, , , , , .
- 16the EUROCARE Working Group. Improvement in survival of patients with cancer of the kidney in Europe. Eur J Cancer 1999; 34: 2232–5& and
- 17Health-related quality-of-life effects of radical prostatectomy and primary radiotherapy for screen-detected or clinically diagnosed localized prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 1612–28, , , , , .
- 19Advanced prostate cancer. Course, care, and cost implications. Prostate 1999; 40: 97–104DOI: 10.1002/(sici)1097-0045(19990701)40:2<97::aid-pros5>3.0.co;2-a, , , , .
- 26Predictors for biopsy outcome in the European Randomized Study of Screening for Prostate Cancer (Rotterdam region). Prostate 1999; 39: 316–22DOI: 10.1002/(sici)1097-0045(19990601)39:4<316::aid-pros14>3.0.co;2-o, , , , , .
- 28Evaluation of the digital rectal examination as a screening test for prostate cancer. Rotterdam section of the European Randomized Study of Screening for Prostate Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1998; 90: 1817–23DOI: 10.1093/jnci/90.23.1817, , et al.
- 32Watchful waiting for prostate cancer: it's not for everyone. AUA News 2001; Jan/Feb: 14& .
- 34PSA doubling time of prostate carcinoma managed with watchful observation alone. J Urol 2000; 163(Suppl. 4): 58, A251, , et al.
- 35American Urological Society. Executive Committee Report. Baltimore: American Urological Association, 1992
- 38American Medical Association. AMA Report 9 of the Council on Scientific Affairs. Screening and Early Detection of Prostate Cancer. CSA Report 9-a-00. 2000: 1–22
- 392000& Screening for prostate cancer in American men. American College of Preventive Medicine Practice Policy Statement. American Cancer Society Prostate Cancer Screening Guideline Conference 2000 Update, May 4–6, 2000. Atlanta
F.H. Schröder, MD, Professor.
European Randomised Study of Screening for Prostate Cancer
quality-of-life adjusted gain in years
quality of life
positive predictive value
PSA doubling time.