High initial efficacy of full-spectrum therapy for nocturnal enuresis in children and adolescents
Article first published online: 25 JUN 2002
Volume 90, Issue 1, pages 84–87, July 2002
How to Cite
Van Kampen, M., Bogaert, G., Feys, H., Baert, L., De Raeymaeker, I. and De Weerdt, W. (2002), High initial efficacy of full-spectrum therapy for nocturnal enuresis in children and adolescents. BJU International, 90: 84–87. doi: 10.1046/j.1464-410X.2002.02812.x
- Issue published online: 25 JUN 2002
- Article first published online: 25 JUN 2002
- Accepted for publication 22 February 2002
- nocturnal enuresis;
- full-spectrum therapy;
- predictive factors
Objective To investigate the initial efficacy and predictive factors of full-spectrum therapy in the treatment of children and young adolescents with nocturnal enuresis (NE).
Patients and methods Combined therapy for NE comprises an enuresis alarm, bladder training, motivational therapy and pelvic floor muscle training, and is more effective than each of the components alone or than medical intervention. A total of 60 children and adolescents (aged 4–20 years) with NE were treated once a week with full-spectrum therapy for a maximum of 6 months.
Results Overall the therapy was successful (14 consecutive dry nights) in 52 of 60 patients. At 30 days the cure rate was 33%, after 60 days 72% and after 98 days, 87%. The remaining 13% did not achieve 14 consecutive dry nights; seven patients improved, having fewer dry nights/week. One patient discontinued the treatment because of lack of motivation. In children with an initial maximum bladder capacity less than normal for age, the capacity increased from 53% of the normal maximum bladder capacity in week 1 to 88% at the end of treatment. Neither age, gender, sleep arousal, bladder capacity, family history and pathophysiological profile had any association with the success rate.
Conclusion The short-term success rate of full-spectrum therapy for NE is high. Age, gender, sleep arousal, bladder capacity, family history and pathophysiological profile of enuresis are unrelated to the success of the intervention.