Rising incidence of prostate cancer in Scotland: increased risk or increased detection?
Version of Record online: 10 DEC 2003
Volume 85, Issue 4, pages 463–473, March 2000
How to Cite
Brewster, D.H., Fraser, L.A., Harris, V. and Black, R.J. (2000), Rising incidence of prostate cancer in Scotland: increased risk or increased detection?. BJU International, 85: 463–473. doi: 10.1046/j.1464-410x.2000.00487.x
- Issue online: 10 DEC 2003
- Version of Record online: 10 DEC 2003
- Accepted for publication 2 November 1999
- 1Trends in Cancer Incidence and Mortality. IARC Scientific Publications No. 121. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 1993, , , ,
- 2Prostate Cancer. In Doll R, Fraumeni Jf Jr, Muir CS, eds. Trends in Cancer Incidence and Mortality. Cancer Surveys. 19/20. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 1994 :309–22
- 4Cancer Registration Statistics Scotland 1986–95. Edinburgh: ISD Scotland, 1998, , , ,
- 5Information and Statistics Division. Scottish Health Statistics 1998. Edinburgh: ISD Scotland, 1999
- 6The rise in prostate cancer: myth or reality? In Garraway M, ed. Epidemiology of Prostate Disease. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 1995,
- 7Cancer Incidence in Five Continents. Vol VII IARC Scientific Publications No 143 Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 1997, , , , , eds.
- 8UK National Screening Committee. First Report of the National Screening Committee. London: Department of Health, 1998
- 11NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. Screening for prostate cancer. Effectiveness Matters 1997; 2
- 13World Health Organisation. International Classification of Diseases, 1975. Ninth revision. Geneva: WHO, 1977
- 14Scottish Cancer Intelligence Unit. Annual Report 1996/97. Edinburgh: Information & Statistics Division, 1997
- 15Registrar General for Scotland. Annual Reports 1981–96. Edinburgh: HMSO, 198297
- 16ISD Scotland. ISD Guide. Edinburgh: Information & Statistics Division, 1996
- 17Office of Population Censuses and Surveys. Classification of Surgical Operations. Third Revision. London: OPCS, 1975
- 18Office of Population Censuses and Surveys. Tabular List of the Classification of Surgical Operations and Procedures. Fourth Revision. London: OPCS, 1990
- 19Cancer Incidence in Five Continents. Vol III IARC Scientific Publications No 15 Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 1976, , , , eds.
- 20Statistical Methods in Cancer Research. IV. Descriptive Epidemiology. IARC Scientific Publications, 128. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 1994, ,
- 28Prostate Cancer Trends 1973–95. SEER Program, National Cancer Institute. Bethesda: National Institutes of Health, 1999; in press. (Available at http://www-seer.ims.nci.nih.gov/Publications/ProstMono/), , et al.
- 34Office for National Statistics. Cancer statistics - registrations. Series MB1 no. 25. London. HMSO, 1998
- 35Office for National Statistics. Estimates of newly diagnosed cases of cancer, England and Wales, 1993–97. Monitor MB1 98/2. London: ONS, 1998
- 40Scottish Urological Oncology Group and Scottish Cancer Therapy Network. Audit of prostate cancer management in Scotland: 1988 and 1993. Br J Urol 1997; 79 (Suppl 4): 7on behalf of the