Diversity of Mitochondrial DNA Lineages in South Siberia
Article first published online: 27 AUG 2003
Annals of Human Genetics
Volume 67, Issue 5, pages 391–411, September 2003
How to Cite
Derenko, M. V., Grzybowski, T., Malyarchuk, B. A., Dambueva, I. K., Denisova, G. A., Czarny, J., Dorzhu, C. M., Kakpakov, V. T., Miścicka-Śliwka, D., Woźniak, M. and Zakharov, I. A. (2003), Diversity of Mitochondrial DNA Lineages in South Siberia. Annals of Human Genetics, 67: 391–411. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-1809.2003.00035.x
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2003
- Article first published online: 27 AUG 2003
- Received: 14 May 2002 Accepted: 29 October 2002
- 1989 Historical anthropology and ethnogenesis. Moscow : Nauka (in Russian).
- 1984 Anthropology of Asiatic part of the USSR. Moscow : Nauka (in Russian). &
- 1981 Sequence and organization of the human mitochondrial genome. Nature 290, 457–465. , , , , & et al.
- 1995 Mitochondrial portraits of human populations using median networks. Genetics 141, 743–753. , , &
- 1999 Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Mol Biol Evol 16, 37–48. , &
- 1998 MtDNA haplogroup X: an ancient link between Europe/Western Asia and North America Am J Hum Genet 63, 1852–1861. , , , , & et al.
- 1994 The history and geography of human genes. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. , &
- 2001 Pleistocene climate change, natural environments and palaeolithic occupation of the Altai area, west-central Siberia. Quaternary International 80–81, 131–167.
- 1998 Trading genes along the Silk Road: mtDNA sequences and the origin of Central Asian populations. Am J Hum Genet 63, 1824–1838. , , , , & et al.
- 1998 Saami mitochondrial DNA reveals deep maternal lineage clusters. Hum Hered 48, 108–114. , &
- 2002 Traces of early Eurasians in the Mansi of Northwest Siberia revealed by mitochondrial DNA analysis. Am J Hum Genet 70, 1009–1014. , , &
- 2001 The presence of mitochondrial haplogroup X in Altaians from South Siberia. Am J Hum Genet 69, 237–241. , , , , &
- 2000 Mitochondrial DNA variation in two South Siberian aboriginal populations: Implications for the genetic history of North Asia. Hum Biol 72, 945–973. , , , , , &
- 2002 The Y-chromosome biallelic loci variability in populations of Altai and Sayan region. Genetika 38, 393–399 (in Russian). , , , , & , et al.
- 1997 Mitochondrial DNA sequence diversity in three North Asian aboriginal population groups. Mol Biol (Moscow) 31, 665–669. &
- 1998 Human occupation of nearby regions and the role of population movements in the Paleolithic of Siberia. In: The Paleolithic of Siberia: New Discoveries and Interpretations (ed. A. P.Derevianko), pp. 336–351. Urbana . IL : University of Illinois Press.
- 1996 Preliminary results of field investigations of the Late Palaeolithic site Shestakhovo in 1996. In: New archaeological and ethnographic discoveries in Siberia (eds. A. P.Derevianko & V. I.Molodin), pp. 60–63. Novosibirsk: Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography Press (in Russian). &
- 1992 Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: Application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131, 479–491. , &
- 1996 Origin and evolution of Native American mtDNA variation: a reappraisal. Am J Hum Genet 59, 935–945. , , &
- 2001 Phylogenetic star contraction applied to Asian and Papuan mtDNA evolution. Mol Biol Evol 18, 1864–1881. , , &
- 2001 Phylogenetic network for European mtDNA. Am J Hum Genet 68, 1475–1484. , &
- 1999 Pleistocene human colonization of Siberia and peopling of the Americas: an ecological approach. Evol Anthropol 8, 208–227.
- 1980 Ethnogenesis of North Indigenous Peoples. Moscow : Nauka (in Russian).
- 1993 The genetic structure of ancient human populations. Curr Anthrop 34, 483–496. , , &
- 1996 MtDNA polymorphism in East Asian populations, with special reference to the peopling of Japan. Am J Hum Genet 59, 579–590. , , , , & et al.
- 1999 Ancestral Asian source(s) of New World Y-chromosome founder haplotypes. Am J Hum Genet 64, 817–831. , , , , & et al.
- 2001 Mitochondrial DNA tree for Eastern Asian populations. In: Abstracts of the First workshop on information technologies application to problems of biodiversity and dynamics of ecosystems in North Eurasia (WITA'2001), p. 302. Novosibirsk : Institute of Cytology and Genetics . , , , , & et al.
- 1999 The place of the Indian mitochondrial DNA variants in the global network of maternal lineages and the peopling of the Old World. In: Genomic diversity: applications in human population genetics (eds. S.Papiha, R.Deka & R.Chakraborty), pp. 135–152. New York : Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers. , , , , &
- 1996 Mitochondrial DNA analysis of Mongolian populations and implications for the rigin of New World founders. Genetics 142, 1321–1334. , &
- 1964 The peoples of Siberia. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. &
- 1987 Hereditary polymorphism and genetic processes in indigenous populations of Altai region. PhD thesis, Moscow : Moscow State University (in Russian).
- 2001 Major genomic mitochondrial lineages delineate early human expansions. BMC Genetics 2, 13. , , , &
- 1999 The emerging tree of West Eurasian mtDNAs: a synthesis of control-region sequences and RFLPs. Am J Hum Genet 64, 232–249. , , , , & et al.
- 1981 The Palaeolithic of Central Asia. Moltyn-Am (Mongolia). Novosibirsk : Nauka (in Russian).
- 1997 A genetic demographic study of the South Altaian Population of the Mendur-Sokkon Village, Altai Republic. Genetika 33, 1559–1564 (in Russian). , , , &
- 1969 Ethnical structure and origin of Altaians. Leningrad : Nauka (in Russian).
- 2001 Mitochondrial DNA polymorphisms in Yunnan nationalities in China. J Hum Genet 46, 211–220. , , , , , &
- 1999 Genetic evidence for an early exit of Homo sapiens sapiens from Africa through eastern Africa. Nature Genet 23, 437–441. , , , , &
- 2000 Genetic data and the colonization of Europe: genealogies and founders. In: Archaeogenetics: DNA and the population prehistory of Europe (eds. C.Renfrew & K.Boyle), pp. 139–151. Cambridge : McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research . &
- 2000 Tracing European founder lineages in the Near Eastern mtDNA pool. Am J Hum Genet 67, 1251–1276. , , , , & et al.
- 1977 The genetic process in the system of ancient human isolates in North Asia. In: Population structure and human variation (ed. G. A.Harrison), pp. 47–108. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. &
- 2000 Gene pool of population of Russia and contiguous countries. In: Gene pool and genegeography of population (ed. Yu.G.Rychkov), v. 1. Saint Peterburg : Nauka (in Russian). , , , , & et al.
- 1999 The Central Siberian origin for Native American Y chromosomes. Am J Hum Genet 64, 619–628. , , , , & et al.
- 2000 Arlequin v. 2.000: a software for population genetics data analysis. Geneva , Switzerland : Genetics and Biometry Laboratory, University of Geneva . , & .
- 1999 Mitochondrial DNA variation in Koryaks and Itel'men: Population replacement in the Okhotsk Sea - Bering Sea region during the Neolithic. Am J Phys Anthropol 108, 1–39. , , &
- 1998 mtDNA diversity in Chukchi and Siberian Eskimos: implications for the genetic history of ancient Beringia and the peopling of the New World. Am J Hum Genet 63, 1473–1491. , , , &
- 1992 Identification of human remains by amplification and automated sequencing of mitochondrial DNA. Int J Legal Med 105, 83–86. , &
- 1996 Classification of European mtDNAs from an analysis of three European populations. Genetics 144, 1835–1850. , , , , & et al.
- 1994 Mitochondrial DNA analysis in Tibet: Implications for the origin of the Tibetan population and its adaptation to high altitude. Am J Phys Anthropol 93, 189–199. , , , , , &
- 1993 mtDNA variation of aboriginal Siberians reveals distinct genetic affinities with Native Americans. Am J Hum Genet 53, 591–608. , , , , & et al.
- 1987 Late Pleistocene and Holocene population history of east Asia based on dental variation. Am J Phys Anthropol 73, 305–321.
- 1993 The Upper Paleolithic of northern Asia. Curr Anthropol 34, 82–92.
- 1999 Stratigraphy and palaeoecology of the Upper Palaeolithic sites near the Maima village (Upper Yenisei valley, Siberia). In: Quaternary of Siberia. Quaternary Geology, Paleogeography and Palaeolithic Archaeology (eds. J.Chlachula, R. A.Kemp & J.Tyrácek), pp. 29–35. Anthropozoikum 23. , , , &
- 1995 Mitochondrial DNA variation in human evolution, degenerative disease and aging. Am J Hum Genet 57, 201–223.
- 1991 Research report: Chelex 100 as a medium for simple extraction of DNA for PCR-based typing from forensic material. BioTechniques 10, 506–513. , &
- 1991 Extensive mitochondrial diversity within a single Amerindian tribe. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88, 8720–8724. , , &
- 2002 Phylogeographic differentiation of mitochondrial DNA in Han Chinese. Am J Hum Genet 70, 635–651. , , , &