Changes in rice root architecture, porosity, and oxygen and proton release under phosphorus deficiency
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 135, Issue 2, pages 191–200, February 1997
How to Cite
KIRK, G. J. D. and VAN DU, L. (1997), Changes in rice root architecture, porosity, and oxygen and proton release under phosphorus deficiency. New Phytologist, 135: 191–200. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00640.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 31 January 1996; accepted 1 October 1996)
- 1991 Root adaptation to soil waterlogging. Aquatic Botany 39: 57–73. , , ,
- 1991 Net oxygen and carbon dioxide balances in solutions bathing roots of wetland plants. Journal of Ecology 79: 943–959. , , .
- 1994 Root-induced iron oxidation and pH changes in the lowland rice rhizosphere. New Phytologist 128: 469–477. , , , .
- 1966 Speculations on the oxidation-reduction status of the rhizosphere of rice roots in submerged soils. In:. IAEA Technical Report NO. 655. Vienna : International Atomic Energy Authority, 128–139. .
- 1975. The mathematics of diffusion, 2nd edn. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 1991 Effects of growth medium on porosity and branching of rice roots (Oryza sativa L.). In: Penning de VriesFWT, vanLaarHH and KropffMJ, eds.. Simulation and Systems Analysis for Rice Production (SARP). Wageningen; Pudoc, 162–175. , , .
- 1995 Nitrogen absorption by plant roots. In: SrivastavaHS and SinghRP, eds.. Nitrogen Nutrition in Higher Plants. New Delhi : Associated Publishing Co., 21–56. , .
- 1986 Application of ion chromatography to anion analysis in vegetable leaf extracts. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 17: 321–335. , .
- 1962. Ion exchange. New York : McGraw-Hill.
- 1971 The diffusion and consumption of oxygen in submerged soils. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings 35: 202–208. , .
- 1993 Re-sorption of organic compounds by roots of Zea mays L. and its consequences in the rhizosphere. II. Experimental and model evidence for simultaneous exudation and re-sorption of soluble C compounds. Plant and Soil 153: 47–59. , .
- 1990 Sampling, handling, and analysing plant tissue samples. In:. Soil Testing and Plant Analysis, 3rd edn. Madison : Soil Science Society of America, 389–427. , .
- 1993 Root ventilation, rhizosphere modification, and nutrient uptake by rice. In: Penning de VriesFWT and TengPS, eds.. Systems Approaches for Agricultural Development. Dordrecht : Kluwer, 221–232.
- 1990 Coupled diffusion and oxidation of ferrous iron in soils. II. A model of the diffusion and reaction of O2, Fe2+, H+ and HCO3- in soils and a sensitivity analysis of the model. Journal of Soil Science 41: 411–431. , , .
- 1995 Root-induced iron oxidation, pH changes and zinc solubilization in the rhizosphere of lowland rice. New Phytologist 131: 129–137. , .
- 1995 Solubilization of phosphate by rice plants growing in reduced soil: prediction of the amount solubilized and the resultant increase in uptake. European Journal of Soil Science 46: 247–255. , .
- 1994 Coupled diffusion and oxidation of ferrous iron in soils. III. Further development of the model and experimental testing. European Journal of Soil Science 45: 369–378. , .
- 1985 The influence of nitrate nutrition on H+ efflux by young rape plants (Brassica napus cv. emerald). Plant and Soil 84: 403–415. , , .
- 1988 The influence of phosphate nutrition on H ion efflux from the roots of young rape plants. Plant and Soil 105: 247–256. , , .
- 1980 Factors influencing oxygen consumption rates in flooded soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 44: 741–744. , ,
- 1995 Root-induced solubilization of phosphate in the rhizosphere of lowland rice. New Phytologist 325–336. ,
- 1986 Nitrate and ammonium absorption by plants growing at a sufficient or insufficient level of phosphorus in nutrient solution. Plant and Soil 91: 313–318. .
- 1994 On the difficulties of measuring oxygen release by root systems of wetland plants. Journal of Ecology 82: 177–183. ,
- 1976. Laboratory Manual for Physiological Studies of Rice, 3rd edn. Manila : International Rice research Institute. , , , .