Effects of potassium deficiency on cell water relations and elongation of tap and lateral roots of maritime pine seedlings
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 135, Issue 2, pages 183–190, February 1997
How to Cite
TRIBOULOT, M.-B., PRITCHARD, J. and LEVY, G. (1997), Effects of potassium deficiency on cell water relations and elongation of tap and lateral roots of maritime pine seedlings. New Phytologist, 135: 183–190. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00647.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 22 April 1996; accepted 7 September 1996)
- 1995 Temperature affects expansion rate of maize leaves without change in spatial distribution of cell length. Plant Physiology 109: 861–870. ,
- 1992 Need of K fertilizers in tropical and temperate forests. In: International Potash Institute eds.. Potassium in Ecosystems: Biogeochemical Fluxes of Cations in Agro- and Forest- Systems. Proceedings of the 23rd colloquium of the International Potash Institute held at Prague. Basel , Switzerland , 309–324.
- 1987a Wall relaxation and the driving forces for cell expansive growth. Plant physiology 84: 561–564. .
- 1987b. Linkage of wall extension with water and solutes uptake. In: CosgroveDJ, KnievelJ, eds.. Physiology of Cell Expansion during Plant Growth. The American Society of Plant Physiologists, 88–100. .
- 1983 Solutes in the free space of growing stem tissues. Plant Physiology 72: 326–331. , .
- 1993 Growth and nutrition of birch seedlings in relation to potassium supply rate. Trees 7: 78–85. ,
- 1993 Hydraulic propagation of pressure along immature and mature xylem vessels of roots of Zea mays measured by the pressure probe techniques. Planta 190: 263–270. , .
- 1986 Comparing the means of several groups. In: BailarIIIJC, MostellerF, eds.. Medical Uses of Statistics. New England Journal of Medicine Books, 205–231.
- 1976 Growth and cell pattern formation on an axis: critique of concept, terminology and mode of study. Botanical Gazette 137: 187–202. .
- 1973 Plant responses to water stress. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 24: 519–570. .
- 1978 Pressure probe technique for measuring water relations of cells in higher plants. Plant Physiology 61: 158–163. , ,
- 1984 A hypothesis relating critical potassium concentrations for growth to the distribution and functions of this ion in the plant cell. The New Phytologist 97: 1–13. , .
- 1965 An analysis of irreversible plant cell elongation. Journal of Theoretical Biology 8: 264–275. .
- 1989 Extraction and analysis of sap from individual wheat leaf cells: the effect of sampling speed on the osmotic pressure of extracted sap. Plant, Cell and Environment 12: 919–926. , , .
- 1992 Measurements of gradients of water potential in elongating stem by pressure probe and picolitre osmometry. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 1325–1331. , .
- 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants, 2nd edition. London : Academic Press.
- 1982 Effect of potassium on the water potential, the pressure potential, the osmotic potential and cell elongation in leaves of. Phaseolus vulgaris. Physiologia Plantarum 54: 402–408. , .
- 1972 Sensitivity of cell division and cell elongation to low water potentials in soybean hypocotyls. Planta 108: 77–87. , .
- 1994 Hardening of root cell walls: a growth inhibitory response to salinity stress. Plant, Cell and Environment 17: 303–309. , ,
- 1989 Effect of water stress on potassium distribution in young seedlings of maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait.). Annales des Sciences Forestiéres 46 (suppl.): 379s–383s. ,
- 1994 The control of cell expansion in roots. The. New Phytologist 127: 3–26.
- 1990 Biophysics of the inhibition of the growth of maize roots by lowered temperature. Plant Physiology 93: 222–230. , , , .
- 1993 Xyloglucan endotrans glycosylase activity, microfibril orientation and the profiles of cell-wall properties along growing regions of maize roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 1281–1289. , , , .
- 1987 Control of wheat root elongation growth. Journal of Experimental Botany 38: 948–959. , , .
- 1991 Turgor, growth and rheological gradients of wheat roots following osmotic stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 42: 1043–1049. , , .
- 1991 X-ray microanalysis of ions contents in roots of Populus maximowiczii grown under potassium and phosphorus deficiency. Journal of Plant Physiology 138: 180–185. , , ,
- 1994 Hydraulic and osmotic properties of spruce roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 1413–1425. , , , .
- 1960. Contribution à l'étude de la nutrition du Pin maritime: variations saisonnières de la teneur des pseudophylles en azote, potassium et acide phosphorique. Ph.D. thesis, Université de Bordeaux I, France.
- 1967 Recherches des besoins en azote et en potassium de jeunes Pins maritimes cultivés sur milieu liquide. Comptes Rendus de l'Académie des Sciences, Série D 264: 1047–1050.
- 1989 Growth patterns inferred from anatomical records. Plant Physiology 90: 708–713. , , .
- 1996 The water relations of root-soil interface. Plant, Cell and Environment 19: 201–208. , .
- 1991 Spatial distribution of turgor and root growth at low water potentials. Plant Physiology 96: 438–443. , .
- 1993 Pressure probe techniques: basic principles and application to studies of water and solute relations at the cell, tissue and organ level. In SmithJAC, GriffithsH, eds.. Water Deficits, Plant Responses from Cell to Community. Oxford , UK : Bios Scientific Publishers, 5–31.
- 1996. Effets du stress osmotique et de la carence en potassium sur la croissance racinaire du pin maritime. Etude biomécanique du grandissement cellulaire. Ph.D. thesis, Université de Nancy I, France. .
- 1995 Stimulation and inhibition of pine root growth by osmotic stress. The New Phytologist 130, 169–175. , , .