Evidence that ozone exposure increases the susceptibility of plants to natural frosting episodes
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 135, Issue 2, pages 369–374, February 1997
How to Cite
FOOT, J. P., CAPORN, S. J. M., LEE, J. A. and ASHENDEN, T. W. (1997), Evidence that ozone exposure increases the susceptibility of plants to natural frosting episodes. New Phytologist, 135: 369–374. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00650.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 7 May 1996; accepted 1 October 1996)
- 1992 An inexpensive system for exposing plants in the field to elevated carbon dioxide concentrations. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 365–372. , , .
- 1994 Critical levels for ozone. In: AshmoreMR, WilsonRB, eds.. Critical Levels of Air Pollutants for Europe. London : The Department of the Environment, 20–96. .
- 1995 The effects of ozone and cutting on the species composition of artificial grassland communities. Functional Ecology 9: 708–712. ,
- 1988 The influence of ozone on the winter hardiness of Norway Spruce (Picea abies) (1) Karst. New Phytologist 108: 159–166. , .
- 1988 Interaction between ozone and winter stress. Environmental Pollution 53: 235–254. , , , .
- 1995 Effects of ambient ozone on seedlings of Fagus sylvatica L. and. Picea abies (L.) Karst. New Phytologist 129: 33–44. &
- 1987 Interaction between ozone and cold sensitivity in Norway Spruce. A factor contributing to the forest decline in central Europe. New Phytologist 105: 149–155. , , .
- 1994 Effect of nitrogen supply on frost hardiness in Calluna vulgaris (1) Hull. New Phytologist 128: 461–468. , , .
- 1991 Photosynthetic and stomatal conductance responses of Norway Spruce and Beech to ozone, acid mist and frost. A conceptual model. Environmental Pollution 72: 23–44. ,
- 1996 The effect of long-term ozone fumigation on the growth, physiology and frost sensitivity of Calluna vulgaris. New Phytologist 133: 503–511. , , , .
- 1980 Initial events in injury to plants by air pollutants. Annual Reviews in Plant Physiology 31: 395–431. .
- 1967 Anthocyanin formation as a response to ozone and smog treatment in Rumex crispus L. Plant Physiology 42: 1023–1024. , .
- 1989 The greenhouse effect: impacts of ultraviolet B(u.v.-B) radiation, carbon dioxide (CO2) and ozone (O3) on vegetation. Environmental Pollution 61: 263–393. , .
- 1991 Ozone and the clean troposphere: ecological implications. Environmental Pollution 70: 157–175. , , , .
- 1983 Determination of total caroteniods and chlorophylls a and b of leaf extracts in different solvents. Biochemical Society Transactions 11: 591–592. , .
- 1988 Growth responses and delayed winter hardening in Sitka spruce following a summer exposure to ozone. New Phytologist 108: 495–504. , , , .
- 1993 Effects of ozone on the photosynthetic apparatus and leaf proteins during leaf development in wheat. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 643–651. , , .
- Photochemical Oxidants Review Group. 1993 Ozone in the U.K., 1993. London : Department of Environment, Air Quality Division.
- 1993 The effects of enhanced ozone and enhanced carbon dioxide concentrations on biomass, pigments, and antioxidative enzymes in spruce needles (Picea abies L.). Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 311–316. , , ,
- 1996 Responses of four Sphagnum species to acute ozone fumigation. Journal of Bryology 19: 19–32. , , , .
- 1992a The response of native herbaceous species to ozone: growth and fluorescence screening. New Phytologist 120: 29–37. , .
- 1992b Effects of a short ozone exposure given at different stages in the development of Plantago major L. New Phytologist 121: 643–647. , .
- 1994 Effect of exposure to ozone at different stages in the development of Plantago major L. on chlorophyll fluorescence and gas exchange. New Phytologist 128: 509–514. , .
- 1984 The effects of ozone on crops and forests. Ambio 13: 68–72. ,
- 1981. Biometry. New York : Freeman. , .
- 1988 Evaluation of the Montsouris series of ozone measurements made in the nineteenth century. Nature 332: 240–242. ,
- 1994. Air pollution and climate change. The biological impact, 2nd edition. Harlow , UK : Longman Scientific and Technical. .
- WHO 1995 Report on the WHO working group on ecotoxic effects. Revised air quality guidelines for Europe. 21–23 Sept. 1994 Les Diablerets, Switzerland. Copenhagen : World Health Organization.
- 1991 Effects of summer ozone on membrane lipid composition during subsequent frost hardening in Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.). New Phytologist 118: 323–329. , .