Effects of soil compaction on plant growth phosphorus uptake and morphological characteristics of vesicular—arbuscular mycorrhizal colonization of Trifolium subterraneum
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 135, Issue 2, pages 303–311, February 1997
How to Cite
NADIAN, H., SMITH, S. E., ALSTON, A. M. and MURRAY, R. S. (1997), Effects of soil compaction on plant growth phosphorus uptake and morphological characteristics of vesicular—arbuscular mycorrhizal colonization of Trifolium subterraneum. New Phytologist, 135: 303–311. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00653.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 27 March 1996; accepted 12 September 1996)
- 1984 The effect of phosphorus on the formation of the hyphae in soil by the vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus faciculatum. New Phytologist 97: 437–446. , ,
- 1985 Formation of external hyphae in soil by four species of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 99: 245–255. , .
- 1985 Soil compaction and moisture stress preconditioning in Kentucky bluegrass. I. Soil aeration, water use, and root responses. Agronomy Journal 77: 872–878. , .
- 1989 The development of endomycorrhizal systems VII. A detailed study of the effects of soil phosphorus on colonization. New Phytologist 111: 435–446. , , .
- 1977 An IRGA technique to measure CO2 content of small volumes of gas from internal atmospheres of plant organs. Photosynthetica 11: 214–216. , .
- 1988 Physiological responses of lupin roots to soil compaction. Plant and Soil 111: 277–281. .
- 1991 Penetrometer resistance, root penetration resistance and root elongation rate in two sandy loam soils. Plant and Soil 131: 59–66. , .
- 1994 The development of mycorrhizal infection in cucumber: effects of P supply on root growth, formation of entry points and growth of infection units. New Phytologist 127: 507–514. , ,
- 1963 The estimation of the phosphorus fertilizer requirements of wheat in southern New South Wales. Australian Journal of Experimental Agricultural and Animal Husbandry 3: 190–197. .
- Genstat 5 Committee. 1987 GENSTAT 5: Reference Manual 1987. Oxford : Clarendon Press.
- 1968 Effects of bulk density, aggregate size and soil water suction on oxygen diffusion, redox potentials and elongation of corn roots. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings 32 180–186. , .
- 1995 Growth and phosphorus supply of sugar beet as affected by soil compaction and water tension. Plant and Soil 176: 15–25. ,
- 1950 The photometric determination of phosphorus in fertilizers using the phosphovanado-molybdate complex. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 1: 172–173. .
- 1992 External hyphae of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi associated with Trifolium subterraneum L. 1 Spread of hyphae and phosphorus inflow into roots. New Phytologist 120: 371–380. , , .
- 1994 Hyphal phosphorus transport, a keystone to mycorrhizal enhancement of plant growth. In: GianninazziS, SchueppH, eds.. Impact of Arbuscular Mycorrhizas on Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Ecosystems. Basel/Switzerland : Birkhauser Verlag, 133–146. , ,
- 1990 A new method which gives an objective measure of colonization of roots by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 115: 495–501. , , , , .
- 1996 The effect of soil compaction on growth and P uptake by Trifolium subterraneum: interactions with mycorrhizal colonization. Plant and Soil (in press). , , , .
- 1993 The relative contribution of hyphae and roots to phosphorus uptake by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal plants, measured by dual labelling with 32P and 33P. New Phytologist 124: 489–494. ,
- 1981 The influence of soil aeration on the efficiency of the vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas. I. Effects of soil oxygen on growth and mineral uptake of Eupatorium odoratum L. inoculated with Glomus macrocarpus. New Phytologist 88: 649–659. .
- 1983 The influence of soil aeration on the efficiency of the vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas. II. Effects of soil oxygen on growth and mineral uptake in Eupatorium odoratum L. Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench and. Guizotia abyssinica (L.f.) Cass. inoculated with vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 95: 405–417. .
- 1984 The influence of soil aeration on the efficiency of the vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas. III. Soil carbon dioxide and growth and mineral uptake in mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal plants of Eupattorium odoratum L. Guizotia abyssinica (L.f.) Cass. and. Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench. New Phytologist 96: 429–435. .
- 1987 Development of total and viable extraradical mycelium in the vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus clarum Nicol & Scenck. New Phytologist 107: 183–190. , , , ,
- 1984 Effect of soil compaction on root growth and uptake of phosphorus. Plant and Soil 77: 15–28. , .
- 1981 Mycorrhizal infection and growth of Trifolium subterraneum: use of sterilized soil as a control treatment. New Phytologist 88: 299–309. , .
- 1990 Phosphate uptake and arbuscular activity in mycorrhizal Allium cepa L.: effects of photon irradiance and phosphate nutrition. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 17: 177–188. ,
- 1996. Mycorrhizal symbiosis, 2nd edition. London : Academic Press. , .
- 1975 A test of a modified line intersect method of estimating root length. The Journal of Ecology 63: 995–1001.
- 1957 The relationship of the size an structural rigidity of pores to their penetration by roots. Plant and Soil 9: 75–85. .