Effects of long-term atmospheric CO2 enrichment on the mineral concentration of Citrus aurantium leaves
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 135, Issue 3, pages 439–444, March 1997
How to Cite
PEÑUELAS, J., IDSO, S. B., RIBAS, A. and KIMBALL, B. A. (1997), Effects of long-term atmospheric CO2 enrichment on the mineral concentration of Citrus aurantium leaves. New Phytologist, 135: 439–444. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00676.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 24 June 1996; accepted 28 October 1996)
- 1995. Leaf quality and insect herbivory in model tropical plant communities after long-term exposure to elevated atmospheric CO2. Oecologia 104: 72 – 78. , , , , .
- 1993. The influence of CO2 enrichment on growth, nutrient content and biomass allocation of Maranthes corymbosa. Australian Journal of Botany 41: 195 – 209. , , .
- 1991. Carbon dioxide enrichment accelerates the decline in nutrient status and the relative growth rate of Populus tremuloides Michx. seedlings. Tree Physiology 81: 161 – 173. .
- 1993. Long-term response of nutrient limited forests to CO2 enrichment: equilibrium behavior of plant-soil models. Ecological Applications 3: 666 – 681. , .
- 1989. The direct effects of increasing the global atmospheric CO2 concentration on natural and commercial temperate trees and forests. Advances in Ecological Research 19: 1 – 55. , .
- 1989. The effects of enriched carbon dioxide atmospheres on plant-insect herbivore interactions. Science 243: 1198 – 1200. , , .
- 1991. Effects of two and a half years of atmospheric COO enrichment on the root density distribution of three-year-old sour orange trees. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 55: 345 – 349. , .
- 1992a. Above-round inventory of sour orange trees exposed to different atmospheric CO2 concentrations for 3 full years. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 60: 145 – 151. , .
- 1992b. Seasonal fine-root biomass development of sour orange trees grown in atmospheres of ambient and elevated CO2 concentration. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 337 – 341. , .
- 1994. Carbon dioxide and sour orange trees: results of the longest CO2 enrichment experiment ever conducted. In: MathaiCV, StenslandG, eds. Global Climate Change; Science, Policy and Mitigation Strategies. Pittsburgh , PA , USA Air Waste Management Association, 575 – 585. , .
- 1991. CO2 enrichment of sour orange trees: 2–5 years into a long-term experiment. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 351 – 353. , , .
- 1984. Quantifying effects of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on stomatal conductance and evapotranspiration of water hyacinth via infrared thermometry. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 33: 15 – 22. , , .
- 1993. Air temperature modifies the size-enhancing effects of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on sour orange tree leaves. Environmental and Experimental Botany 33: 293 – 299. , , .
- 1983. Effects of increasing atmospheric CO2 on the yield and water use of crops. Response of vegetation to carbon dioxide, No. 21. U.S. Department of Energy, Washington , DC , USA . , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Carbon dioxide enrichment: data on the response of cotton to varying CO.2, irrigation, and nitrogen. ORNL/CDIAC-44, NDP-037. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge , TN , USA . , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Effect of CO, enrichment and nitrogen on resource acquisition and resource allocation in a grass, Brotnus inollis. Oecologia 77, 544 – 549. , , .
- 1983. CO2 and plants. The response of plants to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide. Boulder , CO , USA : Westview Press. .
- 1993. Plant-insect herbivore interactions in elevated CO2 environments. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 8: 64 – 68. , , .
- 1993. Responses of deciduous trees to elevated atmospheric CO2: productivity, phytochemistry and insect performance. Ecology 74: 763 – 777. , , .
- 1995. The role of nitrogen in the response of forest net primary production to elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematic 26: 473 – 503. , , .
- 1992. The direct effect of increased CO, on gas exchange and growth of forest tree species. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 1121 – 1130. , .
- 1986. Effects of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on the growth and mineral nutrition of Quercus alba seedlings in nutrient-poor soil. Plant Physiology 82: 83 – 89. , , .
- 1994. Transient nature of CO2 fertilization in Arctic tundra. Nature 371: 500 – 503. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Elevated atmospheric CO2 effects on seedling growth, nutrient uptake, and rhizosphere bacterial population of Liriodendron tulipifera. Plant and Soil 104: 3 – 11. , , .
- 1990. Effects of elevated CO2 concentration levels on nutrient contents of herbaceous woody plants. In: GoudriaanJ, vanKeulenH, vanLaarHH, eds. The Greenhouse Effect and Primary Productivity in European Agro-Ecosystems Wageningen , The Netherlands : Pudoc, 31 – 37. .
- 1993. Elevated CO2 and mineral content of herbaceous and woody plants. Vegetatio 104/105: 403 – 411. .
- 1986. Effects of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) and white clover (Trifolium repens L.) competing in managed model-ecosystems. II. Nutrient uptake. Acta Oecologica, Oecologia Plantarum 7: 367 – 378. , .
- 1990. Changes in N and S leaf content, stomatal density and specific leaf area of 14 plant species during the last three centuries of CO2 increase. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 1119 – 1124. , .
- 1993. Variations in the mineral composition of herbarium plant species collected during the last three centuries. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 1523 – 1525. , .
- 1992. Changes in C storage by terrestrial ecosystems: how C-N interactions restrict responses to CO, and temperature. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 64: 327 – 344. , , , .
- 1995. Terrestrial ecosystems and the carbon cycle. Global Change Biology 1: 77 – 91. .
- 1985. Physiological and ecological controls on carbon sequestering in terrestrial ecosystems. Biogeochemistry 1: 219 – 232. .
- 1992. Nutrient limitation of the long term response of heather Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull to CO2 enrichment. New Phytologist 122: 635 – 642. , , , , .