Topological scaling and plant root system architecture: developmental and functional hierarchies
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 135, Issue 4, pages 621–634, April 1997
How to Cite
BERNTSON, G. M. (1997), Topological scaling and plant root system architecture: developmental and functional hierarchies. New Phytologist, 135: 621–634. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00687.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 2 July 1996; accepted 20 December 1996)
- 1973. Quantitative morphometry of the branching structure of trees. Journal of Theoretical Biology 40: 33–43. , ,
- 1992. A program for characterizing root system branching patterns. Plant and Soil 140: 145–149. .
- 1994. Modelling root architecture: are there tradeoffs between efficiency and potential of resource acquisition New Phytologist 127: 483–493. .
- 1995. The characterization of topology: a comparison of four topological indices for rooted binary trees. Journal of Theoretical Biology 177: 271–281. .
- 1996. Fractal geometry, scaling and plant root architecture. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant Roots: The Hidden Half, 2nd edn. New York : Marcel Dekker, 259–272. .
- 1992. The root system architecture and development of Senecio vulgaris in elevated carbon dioxide and drought. Functional Ecology 6: 324–333. , .
- 1996. Tree root turnover and senescence. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant Roots: The Hidden Half, 2nd edn. New York : Marcel Dekker, Inc., 363–382. , , .
- 1991. Noninvasive studies of conifer roots: nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) imaging of Douglas-fir seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 21: 1559–1566. , , , , ,
- 1981. Fractal dimensions of landscapes and other environmental data. Nature 294: 240–242. .
- 1949. A tentative classification of root systems. Ecology 30: 452–458. .
- 1989. Fitting bent lines to data, with applications to allometry. Journal of Theoretical Biology 138: 235–256.
- 1990. A concise Oxford dictionary of mathematics. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 1996. Root structure and sites of ion uptake. In: WaiselY, EshelK, KafkafiU, eds. Plant Roots: The Hidden Half, 2nd edn. New York : Marcel Dekker, Inc., 483–510. .
- 1990. A multiple scaled fractal tree. Journal of Theoretical Biology 145: 199–206. , .
- 1988. ROOTMAP - a model in three-dimensional coordinates of the growth and structure of fibrous root systems. Plant and Soil 105: 169–178. .
- 1994. Allometry and model II non-linear regression. Journal of Theoretical Biology 168: 367–372. , .
- 1992. Comparative functional morphology of the anchorage systems of annual dicots. Functional Ecology 6: 71–78. .
- 1994. Fine root dynamics in a northern hardwood forest ecosystem, Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, NH. Journal of Ecology 82: 533–548. , .
- 1982. Morphometric analysis of root systems: application of the technique and influence of soil fertility on root system development in two herbaceous species. Plant, Cell and Environment 5: 313–322. .
- 1985. Functional significance of root morphology and root system architecture. In: FitterAH, ReadDJ, AtkinsonD, UsherMB, eds. Ecological Interactions in Soil. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publications, 87–106. .
- 1986. The topology and geometry of plant root systems: influence of watering rate on root system topology in Trifolium pratense. Annals of Botany 58: 91–101. .
- 1987. An architectural approach to the comparative ecology of plant root systems. New Phytologist 106: 61–77. .
- 1991. Architectural analysis of plant root systems. II. Influence of nutrient supply on architecture in contrasting plant species. New Phytologist 118: 383–389. , .
- 1992. Architectural analysis of plant root systems. III. Studies on plants under field conditions. New Phytologist 121: 243–248. , .
- 1991. Architectural analysis of plant root systems. I. Architectural correlates of exploitation efficiency. New Phytologist 118: 375–382. , , , .
- 1991. Topology of the foraging trails of Leptogenys processionalis- why are they branched Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 29: 263–270. ,
- 1966. Allometry and size in ontogeny and phylogeny. Biological Reviews 41: 587–640. .
- 1992. Fractal dimension of plants and body size distribution in spiders. Functional Ecology 6: 636–641.
- 1968. A study of barley. I. Effects of nutrition on two varieties. New Phytologist 67: 287–299.
- 1992. The demography of fine roots in a northern hardwood forest. Ecology 73: 1094–1104. , .
- 1993. Patterns of fine root mortality in two sugar maple forests. Nature 361: 59–61. , .
- 1980. Are diameter, length and branching ratios meaningful in the lung Journal of Theoretical Biology 87: 773–784.
- 1945. Erosional development of streams and their drainage basins: hydrophysical approach to quantitative morphology. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 56: 275. .
- 1932. Problems of relative growth. London : Methuen. .
- 1987. Landscape patterns in a disturbed environment. Oikos 48: 321–324. , , , , .
- 1971. Trees and streams: The efficiency of branching patterns. Journal of Theoretical Biology 31: 339–354. .
- 1973. The growth of root systems - a numerical computer simulation model. Plant and Soil 38: 145–159. .
- 1975. Rhizography of non-woody roots of trees in the forest floor. In: TorreyJG, Clarkson, DT, eds. The Development and Function of Roots. London : Academic Press, 180–196. .
- 1980. Development of the root system of Northern red oak (Quercus rubra L.). Harvard University, Harvard Forest , USA . .
- 1964. Development of the root system of Acer rubrum L. Harvard University, Harvard Forest . , .
- 1996. Simulation of root system architecture. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant Roots: The Hidden Half, 2nd edn. New York : Marcel Dekker, 247–258. and .
- 1983. Trees and networks in biological models. New York : John Wiley and Sons.
- 1983. The fractal geometry of nature. New York : W. H. Freeman and Co.. .
- 1988. Fractals and multifractals: noise, turbulence and galaxies. Berlin : Springer-Verlag. .
- 1965. Quantitative studies of root development. I. The influence of nutrient concentration. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 18: 23–35. , ,
- 1967. Quantitative studies of root development. II. Growth in the early stages of development. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 20: 273–283. , , , .
- 1985. Fractal dimension of vegetation and the distribution of arthropod body lengths. Nature 314: 731–733. , , , .
- 1994. Carbon costs of root systems: an architectural approach. Plant and Soil 165: 161–169. , , , .
- 1994. Plant allometry: the scaling of form and process. Chicago , IL , USA : University of Chicago Press. .
- 1989. A simulation model of the three-dimensional architecture of the maize root system. Plant and Soil 119: 147–154. , ,
- 1985. Does Horton's law of branch length apply to open branching systems Journal of Theoretical Biology 112: 299–313.
- 1989. Numerical recipes in Pascal. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge . , , , .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43: 223–225. .
- 1991. What limits nitrate uptake from the soil Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 77–85. , ,
- 1987. In situ nuclear magnetic resonance imaging of roots: influence of soil type, ferromagnetic partical content, and soil water. Agronomy Journal 79: 957–965. , .
- 1983. The description of the growth of root systems. Plant and Soil 75: 405–415. .
- 1978. The analysis of drainage network composition. Earth Surface Processes 3: 129–170. .
- 1986. Non-stationarity of tree branching patterns and bifurcation ratios. Proceeding of the Royal Socociety of London B 228: 187–194. , .
- 1952. Hypsometric (area altititude) analysis of erosional topology. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 63: 1117. .
- 1990. Applications of fractals in ecology. Tree 5: 79–86. , .
- 1993. Inter-specific allometry in Malaysian rainforest trees, Ph.D. thesis, Harvard University. Cambridge , MA , USA . .
- 1991. Multiform behavior of various constituents of one root system. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant Roots: The Hidden Half. 2nd edn. New york : Marcel Dekker, 39–52. ,
- 1963. Morphometry of the human lung. New York : Academic Press. .
- 1992. Competition and allometry in three species of annual plants. Ecology 73: 648–656. , .
- 1973. Some new methods of topologic classification of channel networks. Geographical Analysis 5: 271–295. , .
- 1976. The bifurcation ratio as an indicator of adaptive strategy in woody plant species. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club 103: 67–72. .