Responses of Lotus corniculatus to environmental change
I. Effects of elevated CO2, temperature and drought on growth and plant development
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 136, Issue 2, pages 245–253, June 1997
How to Cite
CARTER, E. B., THEODOROU, M. K. and MORRIS, P. (1997), Responses of Lotus corniculatus to environmental change. New Phytologist, 136: 245–253. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00733.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 26 August 1996; accepted 14 January 1997)
- 1993. Contrasting crop species responses to CO2 and temperature: rice, soybean and citrus. Vegetatio 104: 239–260. ,
- 1993. Growth analysis. In: HallDO, ScurlockJMO, Bolhàr-NordenkampfHR, LeegoodRC, LongSP, eds. Photosynthesis and Production in a Changing Environment. A Field and Laboratory Manual. London : Chapman & Hall, 36–46. .
- 1993. Water relations. In: HallDO, ScurlockJMO, Bolhàr-NordenkampfHR, LeegoodRC, LongSP, eds. Photosynthesis and Production in a Changing Environment. A Field and Laboratory Manual. London : Chapman & Hall, 113–128. , , .
- BeuselinckPR, RobertsCA (eds). 1994. Proceedings of the First International Lotus Symposium. Columbia: University of Missouri. USA.
- 1990. The greenhouse effect and terrestrial ecosystems of the UK. Institute of Terrestrial Ecology Research Publication No. 4. UK: HMSO. , .
- 1981. Effect of carbon dioxide enrichment on chlorophyll content, starch content and starch grain structure in Trifolium subterraneum leaves. Physiologia Plantarum 51: 171–174. , , .
- 1992. Water stress, CO2 and climate change. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 1131–1139. , .
- 1993. The effects of elevated carbon dioxide and water stress on light interception, dry matter production and yield in stands of groundnut (Arachis hypogea L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 1763–1770. , , , , .
- 1987. Improving water use efficiency of annual crops in the rarified farming systems of West Africa and North Africa. Experimental Agriculture 32: 113–158. , , , .
- 1991. The interaction between rising CO2 and temperatures with water use efficiency. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 843–852.
- 1985. Leaf injury to bean plants grown in carbon dioxide enriched atmospheres. Canadian Journal of Botany 63: 2015–2020. , .
- 1993. Contrasting effects of elevated CO2 on the root and shoot growth of four native herbs commonly found in chalk grassland. New Phytologist 125: 855–866. ,
- 1978. Response to soil moisture supply in three leguminous species. 1. Growth reproduction and mortality. New Phytologist 80: 547–555.
- 1987. Effect of CO2 enrichment on growth of two faba beans at two levels of water supply. Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Science 35: 189–191. , .
- 1995. Photosynthetic responses of 13 pasture species to elevated CO2 and temperature. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 22: 713–722. , , .
- 1995. Effect of drought on photosynthesis in Trifolium repens: maintenance of photosystem II efficiency and of measured photosynthesis. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 33: 19–24. , ,
- 1984. Phytochemical methods:a guide to modern techniques of plant analyses. 2nd edn., London : Chapman & Hall. .
- 1993. Effects of ozone and carbon dioxide mixtures on two clones of white clover. New Phytologist 123: 751–762. , , , .
- 1975. The effects of temperature and carbon dioxide enrichment on photosynthesis in soybean. In: MarcelleR, ed. Environmental and Biological Control of Photosynthesis. The Hague , Netherlands , Junk Publishers, 71–80. , .
- 1984. Effects of water stress on photosynthesis and carbon partitioning in soybean (Glycine max. L. Merr.) plants grown in the field at different CO2 levels. Plant Physiology 76: 244–249. , , .
- 1993. Further responses to CO2 enrichment in British herbaceous species. Functional Ecology 7: 661–668. , , , .
- 1987. Effects of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on plant growth: the interactive role of air temperature. Agricultural Ecosystem and Environment 20: 1–10. , , , .
- 1993. Increasing CO2 and plant interactions: effects on natural vegetation. Vegetatio 104: 157–170. , , .
- 1993. The effect of climate change on agricultural and horticulural potential in Europe. Research Report No. 2, Environmental Change Unit, University of Oxford. , , .
- 1994. The sensitivity of C3 photosynthesis to increasing carbon dioxide concentration: a theoretical analysis of its dependance on temperature and background CO2concentration. Plant, Cell and Environment 17: 747–754. .
- 1995. Towards a better experimantal basis for upscaling plant responses to elevated CO2 and climate warming. Plant, Cell and Environment 18: 1101–1110.
- 1991. Modification of the response of photosynthetic productivity to rising temperature by atmospheric CO2 concentrations: has its importance been underestimated Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 729–739. .
- 1979. Correlation of photosynthetic carbon dioxide uptake and carbohydrate accumulation in cotton, soybean, sunflower and sorghum. Photosynthetica 13: 260–266. , , , .
- 1993. Limitations to CO2 induced growth enhancement in pot studies. Oecologia 94: 550–557. , , .
- 1991. Investigations on the photosynthesis and water relations of red clover under various atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Verhandlungen Gesellschaft fur Okologie 19: 289–295.
- 1984. Plant growth and water use with limited water supply in high CO2 concentrations. I. Leaf area, water use and transpiration. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 11: 361–374. , .
- 1994. Chemical, environmental and genetic manipulation of condensed tannin biosynthesis in the herbage legume Lotus corniculatus. In: BrouillardR, JayM, ScalbertA, eds. Polyphenols 94, Les Colloques No 69. Paris : INRA Editions, 349–350. , , , , .
- 1992. The potential effect of climate changes on agriculture and land use. Advances in Ecological Research 22: 63–91.
- 1992. Drought effects on perennial forage legume yield and quality Agronomy Journal 84: 774–779. , , .
- 1993. Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to an elevated ambient CO2 concentration. Vegetatio 104: 77–97.
- 1992. The effect of water stress on photosynthetic carbon metabolism in four species grown under field conditions. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 25–35. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1992. The effects of CO2 enrichment and nutrient supply on growth morphology and anatomy of Phaseolus vulgaris L. seedlings. Annals of Botany 70: 245–256. , .
- 1992. Plant responses to temperature under conditions of elevated CO2. Australian Journal of Botany 40: 473–490. .
- 1993. Crop responses to CO2 enrichment. Vegetatio 104: 117–131. , .
- 1992 a Growth of white clover dependent on N2 fixation in elevated CO2 and temperature. Annals of Botany 70: 221–228. , , .
- 1992. Influence of elevated CO2 and temperature on the photosynthesis and respiration of white clover dependant on N, fixation. Annals of Botany 70: 213–220. , , , .
- 1987a. Interaction of temperature and CO2 enrichment on soybean: growth and dry matter partitioning. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 67: 59–67. , , .
- 1987b. Interaction of temperature and CO2 enrichment on soybean: photosynthesis and seed yield. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 67: 629–636. , , .
- 1993. Root growth and functioning under atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Vegetatio 104: 99–115. ,
- 1983. Leaf anatomy of four species grown under continuous CO2 enrichment. Botanical Gazette 144: 303–309. , .
- 1980. Adaptation of plants to water and high temperature stress. New York : Wiley-Interscience. , .
- 1993. Inhibition of whole plant respiration by elevated CO2 as modified by growth temperature. Physiologia Plantarum 87: 459–466. , .