Ozone uptake in Prunus serotina, Acer rubrum and Quercus rubra forest trees of different sizes
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 136, Issue 2, pages 255–264, June 1997
How to Cite
SAMUELSON, L. J. and KELLY, J. M. (1997), Ozone uptake in Prunus serotina, Acer rubrum and Quercus rubra forest trees of different sizes. New Phytologist, 136: 255–264. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00734.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 24 August 1996; accepted 15 January 1997)
- 1992. Effects of ambient ozone concentrations on mature eastern hardwood trees growing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Shenandoah National Park. In Proc. A W M A Meetings, Jun. 1992. Kansas City, Missouri, Paper No. 92–150.04. , , , , .
- 1993. Canopy structure and vertical patterns of photosynthesis and related leaf traits in a deciduous forest. Oecologia 96: 169–178. , .
- 1995. Physiology, morphology, and ozone uptake of leaves of black cherry seedlings, saplings, and canopy trees. Environmental Pollution 89: 273–283. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Ozone deposition onto a deciduous forest during dry and wet conditions. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology 62: 1–18. , , , .
- 1994. Changes in gas exchange characteristics during the life span of giant sequoia: implications for response to current and future concentrations of atmospheric ozone. Tree Physiology 14: 659–668. , .
- 1994. Seasonal patterns of light-saturated photosynthesis and leaf conductance for mature and seedling Quercus rubra L. foliage: differential sensitivity to ozone exposure. Tree Physiology 14: 1351–1366. , , , , .
- 1993. Risk characterization of tropospheric ozone to forests. In: Proc. 4th U. S. Dutch International Symposium: Comparative Risk Analysis and Priority Setting for Air Pollution Issues. A W M A Meetings, Pittsburgh, PA. , , , , , .
- 1995. Are seedlings reasonable surogates for trees? An analysis of ozone impacts on Quercus rubra. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 85: 1317–1324. , , , , , ,
- 1993. Use of Tregro to simulate the effects of ozone on the growth of red spruce seedlings. Forest Science 39: 453–464. , , .
- 1994. Characterization of ambient ozone levels in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Journal of Applied Meteorology 33: 465–472. .
- 1992. Ozone in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: dynamics and effects on plants. In: BerglundRL, ed. Tropospheric Ozone and the Environment II. Pittsburg , Pennsylvania : Air and Waste Management Association. , , ,
- 1982. Methods of soil analysis. Part 2. Madison , Wisconsin : ASA. , , .
- 1995. The consequences of sunflecks for photosynthesis and growth of forest understory plants. In: SchulzeE-D, CaldwellMM, eds. Ecophysiology of Photosynthesis. Berlin : Springer-Verlag, 343–360. , .
- 1987. Quantifying plant response to ozone: a unifying theory. Tree Physiology 3: 63–91. .
- 1995. Different photosynthesis-nitrogen relations in deciduous hardwood and evergreen coniferous tree species. Oecologia 104: 24–30. , , , .
- 1994a. Ozone-exposure responses of black cherry and red maple seedlings. Environmental and Experimental Botany 34: 355–362. .
- 1994b. The role of microclimate in determining the sensitivity of Quercus rubra L. to ozone. New Phytologist 128: 235–241. .
- 1994. Simulating the growth of northern red oak seedlings and mature trees in response to ozone using Tregro. Proceedings Annual Ecological Society of America Meeting 75: 203. , , , .
- 1993. A comparison of sensitivity to ozone in seedlings and trees of Quercus rubra L. New Phytologist 125: 373–379. , .
- 1996. Carbon partitioning and allocation in northern red oak seedlings and mature trees in response to ozone. Tree Physiology 16: 853–858. , .
- 1996. Growth and nutrition of Quercus rubra L. seedlings and mature trees after three seasons of ozone exposure. Environmental Pollution 91: 317–323. , , , .
- 1994. Clearing the air at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Ecological Applications 4: 690–701. , , .
- 1996. Estimates of net photosynthetic parameters for twelve tree species in mature forests of the southern Appalachians. Tree Physiology 16: 397–406. , , .
- 1993. Repeated measures analysis. In: ScheinerSM, GurevitchJ, eds. Design and Analysis of Ecological Experiments. New York : Chapman & Hall, 113–137. .
- 1991. Modeling changes in red spruce carbon balance and allocation in response to interacting ozone and nutrient stresses. Tree Physiology 9: 127–146. , , .
- 1994. Integrating the effects of simultaneous multiple stresses on plants using the simulation model Tregro. Journal of Environmental Quality 23: 418–428. , .
- 1994. Mechanistic analysis of plant responses to air pollution. Ecological Applications 4: 651–661. .