Ultraviolet-B radiation influences the abundance and distribution of phylloplane fungi on pedunculate oak (Quercus rohur)
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 136, Issue 2, pages 287–297, June 1997
How to Cite
NEWSHAM, K. K., LOW, M. N. R., McLEOD, A. R., GREENSLADE, P. D. and EMMETT, B. A. (1997), Ultraviolet-B radiation influences the abundance and distribution of phylloplane fungi on pedunculate oak (Quercus rohur). New Phytologist, 136: 287–297. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00740.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 9 September 1996; accepted 6 February 1997)
- 1995. A three-dimensional representation of the relationship between penetration of u. v.-B radiation and u. v.-screening pigments in leaves of Brassica napus. New Phytologist 131: 297–302. , , .
- 1996. Effects of u. v.-B radiation (280–320 nm) on foliar saprotrophs and pathogens. In: FranklandJC, MaganN, GaddGM, eds. Fungi and Environmental Change. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 32–50. , , , .
- 1977. Environmental factors limiting growth of Sporobolomyces roseus, an antagonist of Cochliobolus sativus, on wheat leaves. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 68: 17–25. , .
- 1985. Computer calculations of solar ultraviolet radiation at ground level. Physiologie Végétale 23: 555–561. , .
- 1971. Solar ultraviolet radiation and the growth and development of higher plants. In: GieseAC, ed. Photo-physiology, vol. 6. New York : Academic Press, 131–177. .
- 1989. The changing solar ultraviolet climate and the ecological consequences for higher plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 4: 363–367. , ,
- 1995. Effects of increased solar ultraviolet radiation on terrestrial plants. Ambio 24: 166–173. , , , , ,
- 1993. The effect of exposure to enhanced UV-B radiation on the penetration of monochromatic and polychromatic UV-B radiation in leaves of Brassica napus. Physiologia Plantarum 87: 249–255. , .
- 1992. Are some plant forms more effective than others in screening out ultraviolet-B radiation Oecologia 92: 513–519. , , .
- 1992. Influence of climatic and nutritional factors on yeast population dynamics in the phyllosphere of wheat. Microbial Ecology 23: 41–52. , , .
- 1955. Seasonal incidence of Sporobolomyces on cereal leaves. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 38: 221–239. .
- 1965. The non-parasitic microflora on the surfaces of living leaves. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 48: 83–99. , .
- 1971. A practical guide to the effects of visible and ultraviolet light on fungi. In: BoothC, ed. Methods in Microbiology, vol. 4. London : Academic Press, 609–664. .
- 1966. Action spectra for light-induced sporulation of the fungi Pleospora herbarum and Alternaria dauci. Photochemistry and Photobiology 5: 621–630. , .
- 1995. Effect of open-air fumigation with sulphur dioxide and ozone on phyllosphere and endophytic fungi of conifer needles. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 291–302. , , , .
- 1991. Effect of open-air fumigation with sulphur dioxide on the occurrence of phylloplane fungi on winter barley. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 33: 245–261. , .
- 1994. Production of antibacterial compounds by phylloplane-inhabiting yeasts and yeastlike fungi. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 60: 927–931. , ,
- 1987. A reference action spectrum for ultra-violet induced erythema in human skin. In: PasschierWF, BosnjakovicBFM, eds. Human Exposure to Ultra-violet Radiation: Risks and Regulations. Amsterdam : Elsevier, 83–87. , .
- 1985. The effect of vehicular lead pollution on phylloplane microflora. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 84: 685–689. , .
- 1996. Appropriate controls in outdoor UV-B supplementation experiments. Global Change Biology 2: 319–324. , , , .
- 1997. Interactions between trophic levels. In: LumsdenP, ed. Plants and UV-B: Responses to Environmental Change. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. in press. .
- 1995. Variation in responses of Septoria triciti and S. nodorum to UV-B radiation in vitro. Mycological Research 99: 1371–1377. , , , .
- 1981. Effects of ultraviolet (UV-B) irradiation on infection of roses by Diplocarpon rosae, Wolf. Environmental and Experimental Botany 21: 45–50. , .
- 1974. The wavelengths in sunlight effective in producing skin cancer: a theoretical analysis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 71: 3363–3366. .
- 1977. Influence of heavy metal leaf contaminants on the in vitro growth of urban-tree phylloplane fungi. Microbial Ecology 3: 231–239. .
- 1995. Biometry, 3rd edn. New York : W. H. Freeman & Co. Ltd.. , .
- 1978. Radiation sources and related environmental control for biological and climatic effects of UV research. Final report EPA-IAG-D6–0168. Washington: Environmental Protection Agency. , ,
- 1994. Growth and biological control activity of Tilletiopsis species against powdery mildew (Sphaerotheca fulliginea) on greenhouse cucumber. Phytopathology 84: 341–351. , , .
- 1986. Action spectrum of photoinduced conidiation in Alternaria cichorii. Journal of General Microbiology 132: 3485–3489. .
- 1995. Environmental effects of ozone depletion. 1994 assessment. Ambio 24: 138–143. , ,
- 1991. Interactions between Sclerotinia sclerotiorum and Epicoccum purpurascens. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 2503–2510. , , .