Effects of elevated CO2 and soil–nitrogen supply on chlorophyll fluorescence and gas exchange in Scots pine, based on a branch–in–bag experiment
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 136, Issue 2, pages 277–286, June 1997
How to Cite
WANG, K.-Y. and KELLOMÄKI, S. (1997), Effects of elevated CO2 and soil–nitrogen supply on chlorophyll fluorescence and gas exchange in Scots pine, based on a branch–in–bag experiment. New Phytologist, 136: 277–286. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00744.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 14 November 1996; accepted 10 February 1997)
- 1991. Effects of source-sink relations to photosynthetic acclimation to elevated CO2. Plant Cell and Environment 14: 869–875. .
- 1991. Increased photosynthetic capacity of Scirpus olneyi after 4 years of exposure to elevated CO2. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 1003–1006. , .
- 1990. The response of natural ecosystems to the rising global CO2 levels. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 167–196. .
- 1995. Effects of elevated CO2, elevated O3 and potassium deficiency on Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.): seasonal changes in photosynthesis and non-structural carbohydrate content. Plant, Cell and Environment 18: 1345–1357. , , , , , ,
- 1993. A branch bag and CO2control system for long-term CO2 enrichment of mature Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr.). Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 1139–1148. , , .
- 1978. Energy distribution in the photosynthetical apparatus of photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 29: 345–378. .
- 1990. Increases in phosphorus requirements for CO2 enriched pine species. Plant Physiology 92: 977–982. , , , .
- 1989. Comparative physiology and morphology of seedling and mature forest trees. In: NobleRD, MartinJL, JensenKF, eds. Air Pollution Effects on Forest Vegetation. USA : US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest experiment Station, 111–118. , , , .
- 1989. Nitrogen and carbon dynamics in C3 and C4 estuarine marsh plants grown under elevated CO2 in situ. Oecologia 78: 297–301. , , .
- 1985. Photosynthetic inhibition after long-term exposure to elevated levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide. Photosynthesis Research 7: 175–184. , , .
- 1991. Ecophysiological differences among juvenile and reproductive plants of several woody species. Oecologia 86: 594–597. , .
- 1993. A branch bag technique for simultaneous CO2 enrichment and assimilation measurements on beech (Fagus sylvatica L.). Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 1131–1138. , ,
- 1989. The direct effects of increase in the global atmospheric CO2 concentration on natural and commercial temperate trees and forests. Advances in Ecological Research 19: 1–55. , .
- 1993. Growth and photosynthesis of two deciduous forest tree species exposed to elevated carbon dioxide. Functional Ecology 7: 480–486. , ,
- 1982. Modelling of photosynthetic response to environmental conditions. In: LangeOL, NobelPS, OsmondCB, ZieglerH, eds. Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology, vol. 12. Heidelberg , New York : Springer-Verlag, 549–587. ,
- 1988. Long-term elevation of atmospheric CO2 concentration and the carbon exchange rates of saplings of Pinus taeda L. and Liquidambar stryciflua L. Tree Physiology 4: 255–262. , , ,
- 1995. Stomamatal responses to increased CO2: implications from the plant to the global scale. Plant, Cell and Environment 18: 1214–1225. , , .
- 1993. Interactions between electron transport and carbon assimilation in leaves. In: AbrolYP, MohantyP, GovindjeeP, eds. Photoreactions to Plant Productivity. Dordrecht , Holland : Kluwer Academic Publishers, 139–154.
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica Bio-physica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 1993. Physiological adjustment of two sub-sib families of ponderosa pine to elevated CO2. Tree Physiology 12: 391–401. , , .
- 1993. Foliar gas exchange responses of two deciduous hardwoods during 3 years of growth in elevated CO2: no loss of photosynthetic enhancement. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 797–807. , , .
- 1991. A theoretical and experimental analysis of the qp and coefficients of chlorophyll fluorescence quenching and their relation to photochemical and nonphotochemical events. Photosynthesis Research 27: 41–55. , ,
- 1993. Growth and ecophysiological responses of black spruce seedlings to elevated CO2 under varied water and nutrient additions. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 23: 1033–1042. .
- 1996. Responses of photosynthesis in Scots pine to needle water potential after three years exposure to elevated temperature and CO2. Tree Physiology, 16: 765–772. ,
- 1992. Relationship between photosystem II activity and CO, fixation in leaves. Physiologia Plant arum 86: 180–187. , .
- 1984. Chlorophyll fluorescence as a tool in plant physiology. II. Interpretation of fluorescence signals. Photosynthesis. Research 5: 139–157. ,
- 1993. Limitations to CO2-induced growth enhancement in pot studies. Oecologia 94: 550–557. , , .
- 1996. Comparison of two experimental approaches used in the investigations of the long-term effects of elevated CO2 concentration. Photosynthetica 32: 129–133. ,
- 1979. Nutrient cycles in pine and their adaptations to poor soils. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 9: 19–26. , , .
- 1983. Photosynthesis of a Scots pine shoot: the effect of shoot inclination on the photosynthetic response of a shoot subjected to direct radiation. Agriculture meteorology 29: 191–206. , ,
- 1992. Effects of elevated carbon dioxide concentration on photosynthesis and growth of small birch plants (Betula pendula Roth.) at optimal nutrition. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 911–919. , .
- 1993. Response of small birch plants (Betula pendula Roth.) to elevated CO2 and nitrogen supply. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 1115–1121. , ,
- 1996. Long-term exposure to elevated [COJ in a natural Quercus ilex L. community: net photosynthesis and photochemical efficiency of PS II at different levels of water stress. Plant, Cell and Environment 19: 643–654. , , ,
- 1986. Continuous recording of photochemical and non-photochemical chlorophyll fluorescence quenching with a new type of modulation fluorometer. Photosynthesis Research 10: 51–62. , ,
- 1994. Relationships among maximum stomatal conductance, ecosystem surface conductance, carbon assimilation rate, and plant nitrogen nutrition: a global ecology scaling exercise. Annual Review of Ecology System 25: 629–660. , , , ,
- 1986. Relationships between nutrient status, carbon assimilation and water use efficiency in Pinus radiata (D. Don.) needles. Tree Physiology 2: 73–88. , , .
- 1991. The theory and practice of branch autonomy. Annual Review of Ecology System 22: 309–334. , ,
- 1991. Rising C02 levels and their potential significance for carbon flow in photosynthetic cells. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 741–762.
- 1985. Inhibition of photosynthesis by freezing temperatures and high light levels in cold-acclimated seedlings of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris). II. Effects on chlorophyll fluorescence at room temperature and 77 K. Physiologia Plantum 65: 117–123. ,
- 1991. Design and performance of branch chambers suitable for long-term ozone fumigation of foliage in large trees. Journal of Environmental Quality 20: 591–596. , , .
- 1993. Growth and maintenance components of leaf respiration of cotton grown in elevated carbon dioxide partial pressure. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 539–546. , , , .
- 1990. Plant and crop modelling. Clarendon Press. Oxford : 244. , .
- 1987. Responses of Eriophorum vaginatum to elevated CO2 and temperature in the Alaskan tussock tundra. Ecology 68: 401–410. , .
- 1993. Long-time effects of elevated CO2 and nutrients on photosynthesis and rubisco in loblolly pine seedlings. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 859–865. , , .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 1996. Apparent quantum yield in Scots pine after four years of exposure to elevated CO2 and temperature. Photosynthetica 32: 339–353.
- 1996. Acclimation of photosynthetic parameters in Scots pine after three years exposure to elevated temperature and CO2. Agricultural Forest Meteorology 82: 195–217. , ,